PDA

View Full Version : Dolfin kick responsible for records?

JonasTris
August 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I know there have been a lot of discussions about the swimskins being responsible for all the new records. I certainly like my blueseventy nero one and think it is very fast, but I can't help watching the Olympics and wondering about the endless super fluid dolfin kicks. How much do they contribute to the records?

smontanaro
August 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Just on NPR today: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93575235

zanadu
August 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
They are largely responsible for Phelps freestyle speed... as well as his backstroke and butterfly. Coughlin, Peirsol, and Lochte also all have great dolphin kicks. It's almost necessary these days to dominate a non-breaststroke event.

The 50 free, 100/200 breast, and 1500/800 free are the only events where dolphin kicking underwater doesn't play as large a role.

Skaterbaj
August 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
They are largely responsible for Phelps freestyle speed... as well as his backstroke and butterfly. Coughlin, Peirsol, and Lochte also all have great dolphin kicks. It's almost necessary these days to dominate a non-breaststroke event.

The 50 free, 100/200 breast, and 1500/800 free are the only events where dolphin kicking underwater doesn't play as large a role.

Why wouldnt play a large role in the 50? im interested in knowning since that will be one of my events this year? would it Benefit in a relay?

zanadu
August 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Why wouldnt play a large role in the 50? im interested in knowning since that will be one of my events this year? would it Benefit in a relay?Because there are no turns in the 50 (assuming LC). Everyone starts off from a dive, so everyone enters the water with speed. Of course a kick or two doesn't hurt, but won't make you significantly faster since everyone has that initial speed from diving in. The 50 is more about being a powerful swimmer and having an extremely high turnover rate. Good sprinters keep their bodies pretty flat in the water, but turn their arms over very fast and pull lots of water... as opposed to say, good 400 swimmers that have very pronounced body rotation and a slower turnover.

pwolf66
August 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Why wouldnt play a large role in the 50? im interested in knowning since that will be one of my events this year? would it Benefit in a relay?

In 99% of cases, a freestyle sprint is faster than submerged dolphin kicking so it's kick once or twice then get up and go. As you go to the 100, then it helps to avoid the large incoming wave at the turn and then even more so in the 200. It starts to lose it's importance in the 400 and longer as the o2 debt you build up is a greater negative than the speed you gain.