PDA

View Full Version : 4 x 200 m relay eating humble pie

rooinoz
August 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Two days ago a reporter for the Guardian in Britain dismissed the Aussie relay swimmers as has beens compared to their British swimmers
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/12/olympicgames.aquatics.britainaustralia

One really should be careful about dissing another countries competition. It tends to backfire and bite you on the bum.
Australia mens 4 x 200 freestyle relay - bronze medal. Where were the British men?
Australian women 4 x 200 freestyle relay gold and smashed the world record - where were the British women?

Chrissy
August 14th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Two days ago a reporter for the Guardian in Britain dismissed the Aussie relay swimmers as has beens compared to their British swimmers
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/12/olympicgames.aquatics.britainaustralia

One really should be careful about dissing another countries competition. It tends to backfire and bite you on the bum.
Australia mens 4 x 200 freestyle relay - bronze medal. Where were the British men?
Australian women 4 x 200 freestyle relay gold and smashed the world record - where were the British women?

OMG wait a reporter for the Guardian in Britain was dissing our relay girls, the nerve of this reporter. But he'll be wishing he could take it all back now right LMAO silly reporter and I agree with you one should be more careful about dissing another country's team! Well said :bow:

NotVeryFast
August 14th, 2008, 06:46 AM
The media here in the UK have been over-stating GB's medal prospects throughout the Olympics. E.g. they were hailing Kirsty Balfour as a great medal prospect in the 200 breast, when any of us who watch the sport closely knew she didn't have any chance.

You have to see it in the context that the swimming is being given prime TV coverage here and they want viewers to watch it, so they have to hype up our medal hopes to get people to watch. We have just one main TV channel showing the Olympics, all the rest are peripheral so-called "interactive" channels that you access by pressing a red button on the remote. The swimming has been on the one main channel throughout, they really are pushing it in a big way. I doubt they really believe their own hype.

rooinoz
August 14th, 2008, 06:53 AM
The media here in the UK have been over-stating GB's medal prospects throughout the Olympics. E.g. they were hailing Kirsty Balfour as a great medal prospect in the 200 breast, when any of us who watch the sport closely knew she didn't have any chance.

You have to see it in the context that the swimming is being given prime TV coverage here and they want viewers to watch it, so they have to hype up our medal hopes to get people to watch. We have just one main TV channel showing the Olympics, all the rest are peripheral so-called "interactive" channels that you access by pressing a red button on the remote. The swimming has been on the one main channel throughout, they really are pushing it in a big way. I doubt they really believe their own hype.

It was bad luck, though for the british girls, especially Caitlin McClatchley. To be rested for the final and then miss out??? I always say..There by the grace of god go us. Because the Aussie girls only just scraped into the final.

gull
August 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
This looks like the right place to ask a question that has been bothering me for a long time:

Did the dingo really eat her baby?

Sam Perry
August 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
This looks like the right place to ask a question that has been bothering me for a long time:

Did the dingo really eat her baby?

Now that is FUNNY!