PDA

View Full Version : Cielo

zanadu
August 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM
This guy is amazing... I say he takes the 50 free..

btw as far as I know he's the best scy sprinter in the world right? Anyone know when he plans to have a go at the scm world records?

fanstone
August 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
You and 240 million Brazilians, as he is presently, with Thiago Pereira, our only hopes for medals, in swimming. Thiago Pereira is smart and humble and he is trying for a second or third place as Phelps swims with him. Headlines are headlines and once they are up, they stay there. I turned on my computer this morning to see on the opening page a Brazilian news agency that Cielo was the new Olympic record holder, just to read inside the headline that it lasted some minutes while the next semi took place. Of course, being a swimmer, albeit, slow, I knew better than most journalists in Brazil who were putting their hopes in Pereira, and to a lesser extent on Cielo. They don't read this knowledgeable board and know that Cielo was the SCY American (?) record holder this year and he held the better chance at a medal on the 100 and/or 50 free, whereas Pereira has tough competition in the medley and fly...Cielo is from a small town in the State of São Paulo that has a youth swimming program, sorta like your high schools in the U.S.

SLOmmafan
August 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I felt like NBC gave this guy the shaft last night when he took bronze in the 100 m free. He came from last place, a virtual unknown (although he is very well known in NCAA circles), and tied with Jason Lezac. Considering Rowdy is a fellow Auburn swimmer, I though he might give Cielo a bit more love.

If I am right, Cielo goes something like a sub- 19 second 50 y free - he might light up the pool in the 50 m.

Shaman
August 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Something like sub 19? Cielo has been under 19 many times, way under. He has the NCAA record at 18.47.

Cielo's recovery seems to have been brought under more control than it used to be. I watched the semi's and it doesn't seem nearly as straight as it seemed just a few months ago.

I also noticed in that race that the announcers paused saying his name, almost like they were catching themselves from saying "from Auburn" instead of "of Brazil."

SLOmmafan
August 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I thought it was something crazy like 18.47 - just didn't want to arbitrarily come up with a time for him.

Hopefully Cielo can pull of the 50 - I always root american but not certain if Weber-Gale has it in him to pull it all off. It seems that some people excel in yards, or the other way around, but very few tend to be able to hold world records in both pool distances (some exceptions naturally). Randall Ball is a good example - that guy has some crazy yard times, buut has never has the breakout performance in meters yet.

Skaterbaj
August 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I saw the Auburn swim team practicing before our Club had a swim meet there. I dont kno if i saw him or not :p and didnt Cesar do a 17 split for his auburn 200 free relay??

zanadu
August 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
He smoked the field in the semis... he might have a chance. It's him against Bernard, Sullivan is a bit off his game.

mctrusty
August 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Gooooooooo Cieloooooo!

zanadu
August 16th, 2008, 02:58 AM
He took it!!! Man what a race. He's the real deal.

tjrpatt
August 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Eamon Sullivan kind of hard an performance similar to Hansen's at Athens. He was the world record and top sprinter going into 2008 but didn't won gold as expected. He did have a good 100 free sprint in the relay.

Isn't this Brazil's first Olympic gold in swimming. Or their second or third?

The French broke out in the sprinting like South African did in 2004.

swimcat
August 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
great for cielo and brazil. he was soooooooo happy.
nice of alain to pat him on the back and comfort him. i was really shocked about that;

fanstone
August 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
First Gold medal. Gustavo Borges had a silver and a bronze Barcelona and Atlanta, and Prado had a silver in medley L.A. 1984. The French traditionally like Brazilians, so there is no rivalry, I thought it was a "cute" moment too. billy fanstone