PDA

View Full Version : Rumors, Gossip, Sightings & Trash Talk from Portland

Paul Smith
August 14th, 2008, 10:49 PM
- Long flight...but had the pleasure of seeing Phil Whitten trapped in a middle seat with the lovely (yet incredibly talkative) Evie Lynch next to him...I offered him my bose headphones but it appeared he just tried to pretend he was sleeping for 3 hours.

- Kurt (cracker) Dickson may be a brilliant doctor but can't seem to figure out how to open his folding chair which he finally got figured out as we sat and waited 40 minutes for luggage.

- Portland is as beautiful as I recall from my last visit 12 years ago...by the way what other state can have have half the population being hardcore tree hugging liberals and the other half 4x4 driving, shotgun in the rear window, dead animal in the back and conferderate flag bumper sticker red necks...and not break into civil war....must be the microbreweries and drive thru coffee stads on every corner....kinda like having Fort and Geek to dinner.

- Claudia Poll swimming masters nationals...great....another chick that can kick all the guys asses.

- The college is stunning with incredible views of Mt. Hood...the competition pool is incredible...the warm up pool is going to require "vertical" warm ups as its the size of a jacuzzi.

- Mark Gill is weeny...so is Baker for scratching...but he gets a pass at least for having such an incredible layout of the facilities and swimming so incredible the last few months...Mark is just a weeny with a girlfriend thats way to good for him.

- Rob Copeland throws elbows in war-ups...nice Mr. Prez!

- Is there anyone nicer than Laura Val? So nice I had to sneak up on her in warm ups and pull a water polo full leg wrap sinker move...thought she was going to lose some of that niceness and kick my ass but thankfully my taper appears to be working as I got away.

- By the way...ever been to a meet where you got two bottles of red wine as part of the gold medal sponsorship? Laura stomped on my foot grabbed them both and ran into the women's locker room...any good Lawyers out there? I think I have a domestic violence case.

- Did I mention Gill is a weenie?

- I'm going to take a WAG and say that there will be at least one swimmer in every heat wearing a B70...rumor has it Nike is going to by the company by the way.

- Can't believe that Scotty resigned as coach of the Olympic Club!

ande
August 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hey Paul

this is great
thanks for sharing
swim faster faster

ande

please give us updates

swimmieAvsFan
August 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
so paul, does claudia poll still wear those massive hoop earrings while she's swimming???

i remember watching her swim in atlanta with them thinking how much faster she'd be if the hoops were just a bit smaller...
:)

tjburk
August 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
- Long flight...but had the pleasure of seeing Phil Whitten trapped in a middle seat with the lovely (yet incredibly talkative) Evie Lynch next to him...I offered him my bose headphones but it appeared he just tried to pretend he was sleeping for 3 hours.

- Kurt (cracker) Dickson may be a brilliant doctor but can't seem to figure out how to open his folding chair which he finally got figured out as we sat and waited 40 minutes for luggage.

- Portland is as beautiful as I recall from my last visit 12 years ago...by the way what other state can have have half the population being hardcore tree hugging liberals and the other half 4x4 driving, shotgun in the rear window, dead animal in the back and conferderate flag bumper sticker red necks...and not break into civil war....must be the microbreweries and drive thru coffee stads on every corner....kinda like having Fort and Geek to dinner.

- Claudia Poll swimming masters nationals...great....another chick that can kick all the guys asses.

- The college is stunning with incredible views of Mt. Hood...the competition pool is incredible...the warm up pool is going to require "vertical" warm ups as its the size of a jacuzzi.

- Mark Gill is weeny...so is Baker for scratching...but he gets a pass at least for having such an incredible layout of the facilities and swimming so incredible the last few months...Mark is just a weeny with a girlfriend thats way to good for him.

- Rob Copeland throws elbows in war-ups...nice Mr. Prez!

- Is there anyone nicer than Laura Val? So nice I had to sneak up on her in warm ups and pull a water polo full leg wrap sinker move...thought she was going to lose some of that niceness and kick my ass but thankfully my taper appears to be working as I got away.

- By the way...ever been to a meet where you got two bottles of red wine as part of the gold medal sponsorship? Laura stomped on my foot grabbed them both and ran into the women's locker room...any good Lawyers out there? I think I have a domestic violence case.

- Did I mention Gill is a weenie?

- I'm going to take a WAG and say that there will be at least one swimmer in every heat wearing a B70...rumor has it Nike is going to by the company by the way.

- Can't believe that Scotty resigned as coach of the Olympic Club!

Keep us posted Paul.......and Good Luck to all!!!!

Paul Smith
August 15th, 2008, 11:37 PM
An incredibly hot day at the pool (103 I think) except for those of us from AZ who wore parkas this morning...

- Dennis Baker is the energizer bunny...everywhere and up all the time..met hi fiance today and told her she was to good for him...kinda like my marriage.

- Ok...lets get the debate up and running. I wore a B70...tons of them here...but a LOT of folks that don't have them and can't afford them. I feel real mixed about "haves" vs. "have nots"....but since it earned me a beer from Mr. Stevenson I don't feel all that bad. By the way, Laura Val bought one so watch for times tomorrow (Saturday).

- The annual sandbagger of the meet award that Sandie Easton has never lost may be going to Laureen Welton!!!!

- Speaking of Chris....ever see the real tacky movie "Road House" where people keep saying to the Patrick Swayze "I thought you'd be bigger"? Again a case of a guy thats to nice not to like in spite of his postings here.

- Gill is weenie

- Flyqueen shows up with the best tan at the meet...I say tanning booth as I have yet to meet anyone from Chicago with a tan.

- A well known poster on this site blew the ass seam on their B70 on the start of a race...scared the hell out of the timers...I won't say who it was and let others figure it out.

- Our new Executive director seems like a nice guy...and I hear very good things about what he's doing...but PLEASE stop borrowing Jeff Commings speedo briefs.

- Fresh local Salmon in the Hospitality/Gold medal sponsor set up...another well known poster here was seen sticking her fingers into platter when people weren't looking...she also said she thought I was going to be shorter.

- Some scary stuff going on in the locker rooms...suffice it to say when you have small spaces and bodies of every shape and size writhing around anywhere they can find a spot, attempting to get into suits, swearing like sailors...and someone said they saw Mark Gill loitering around the women's area with a cell phone camera.

- Ok tech haters/chasers....got a new one for you. Check out www.compex.com and yes I tried it and yes I want one and so do a lot of other folks...this thing is wild!

- Only one gang shooting last night in Gresham

- Did I say Gill was a weenie....and I think he gets hair implants on his chest

- He does have one cool thing going on...he's submitting a bid to have Puerto Rico host the 2010 LCM championships...apparently its an incredible pool, hotels on the beach, etc. Also apparently some folks are not all that happy about it and are attempting to introduce legislation at the convention that would prohibit hosting nationals on the "mainland"....nice.

Smith by Marriage
August 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
In case anyone didn't connect the dots....yes, it was the behemouth Paul Smith who blew the *&&$)#)#@_@*$&^^ out of the back of his very expensive Blue 70 when he bent over to "take his mark". It wasn't pretty. Several of the timers will need extensive therapy.

ALM
August 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
In case anyone didn't connect the dots....yes, it was the behemouth Paul Smith who blew the *&&$)#)#@_@*$&^^ out of the back of his very expensive Blue 70 when he bent over to "take his mark". It wasn't pretty. Several of the timers will need extensive therapy.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Fortress
August 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM

That's what he gets for ignoring the height recommendations!

Hope that doesn't happen to you too, Laura. :D

MegSmath
August 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
As we are teammates of Mark Gill's, we feel obliged to defend him. He was heroic in our mixed free relay today, mowing down the 62 year old woman in the next lane. Thanks to Mr. Gill we didn't come in last!!

MegSmath & SwimRobin

Chris Stevenson
August 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
- Ok...lets get the debate up and running. I wore a B70...tons of them here...but a LOT of folks that don't have them and can't afford them. I feel real mixed about "haves" vs. "have nots"....but since it earned me a beer from Mr. Stevenson I don't feel all that bad. By the way, Laura Val bought one so watch for times tomorrow (Saturday).

- The annual sandbagger of the meet award that Sandie Easton has never lost may be going to Laureen Welton!!!!

- Speaking of Chris....ever see the real tacky movie "Road House" where people keep saying to the Patrick Swayze "I thought you'd be bigger"? Again a case of a guy thats to nice not to like in spite of his postings here.

Thanks, I think? (And Laureen's last name is "Welting")

Despite my own time drops compared to last year (2.5 sec in the 2-back, 0.9 sec in the 1-fly), I am not absolutely 100% convinced of how much the B70 helps (me, at least). I do think it is a small amount for me; I expected decent time drops based on my times in practice compared to last year.

You definitely earned your beer, what with you letting it all hang out like that (sorry, couldn't resist).

Paul did try to show me the tear in his suit but I honestly couldn't make myself look very closely...

smontanaro
August 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM
- Ok tech haters/chasers....got a new one for you. Check out www.compex.com and yes I tried it and yes I want one and so do a lot of other folks...this thing is wild!

Just so others aren't confused, I'm going to guess that the suit destroyer (glad I wasn't there to see that!) meant to refer folks to http://www.compextrainer.com/.

ViveBene
August 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
- Flyqueen shows up with the best tan at the meet...I say tanning booth as I have yet to meet anyone from Chicago with a tan.

Au contraire! The sun is farther north in the summer, which would account for our lovely tans. And, of course, we swim outdoors in Lake Michigan year round. :laugh2:

JimRude
August 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM

This is exactly why I wore a FSI jammer underneath my B70...

And FWIW, not comparing apples to apples, but my 50 breast was a full 1.4 secs faster than I've ever swam masters (no previous fully tapered LCM meet), and the fastest since I was 21 yrs old in 1985... I think it was the suit...

gobears
August 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
This is exactly why I wore a FSI jammer underneath my B70...

And FWIW, not comparing apples to apples, but my 50 breast was a full 1.4 secs faster than I've ever swam masters (no previous fully tapered LCM meet), and the fastest since I was 21 yrs old in 1985... I think it was the suit...

Great job, Jim! Good to see you are representing the Cal breaststroke swimmers in such speedy fashion!

Ken Classen
August 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM

LOL. :woot: I had an aging Victor body suit that split a couple of years ago, in the same manner at the Colorado State Championships. The moon was raising on that 200 free.

Jeff Commings
August 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM

If this is what I'm missing in Portland, I have no regrets about staying home.

Paul Smith
August 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
- Question of the day...is loyalty completely gone? Have to ask when a US woman plays basketball for Russian and a very well known masters swimmer sponsored by Speedo is swimming nationals in a B70.

- Jazz Hands looks like he's ready to start his career as a men's fitness model

- Thank God for duct tape...use your imagination

- Mark Gill still refuses to shave the squirrel off his chest...but I guess his upset of Duffy Dillon justifies walking around with that Burt Reynolds look.

- Why is Eney Jones going around writing messages on fruit people have left near their stuff?

- Rob Copeland after 3 days has the "best" average reaction time off the blocks; 1.87....were going to bring him a newspaper and roll of TP tomorrow so he can hang out there a little while longer.

- Have to give Dennis Baker and the rest of these folks running the meet up here a big hand for picking a fantastic facility, having ton's of stuff going on, being way nice in general....heck even with almost 1200 attending the warm ups haven't been as bad as Austin.

- Bill Volkening needs to quit hitting on all the 70 year old women..that all seem to be fighting for his attention....must be the quilt thing.

- Big Al and Jay Yarid had one of the best races of the meet in the 50 back...mostly it was the sight of them both up against the lane line groping each other for the entire length...get a room guys.

- Commings....did you see Gutheries 56.0 100 free? That's almost as bad as an evil stroker such as yourself swimming so fast in backstroke...you all need to go back to gymnastics.

- Phil Whitten....hope you enjoyed your sleeping in this morning as the fly leg on your relay touched the wall...and you weren't there. Then again my flyer floats a 27.9 because he thinks were out of th race but throws down a 23.7 in his individual swim. I'm calling ICE and having Kohei deported.

- Colorado's Michael Mann throws down a 2:20 200Im and destroys the WR by 3 seconds...guessing we need to sneak in and pull the plug on his endless pool/dartfish system at swim labs.....

- Mark Gill....your still a weenie and need to stop warming up in the 65+ lane...

ande
August 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM
great stuff paul
keep it coming
guth's 56 100 fr was impressive
as was his 1:07.3 100 br
KK went 23.7 not 23.3
1 Kohei Kawamoto, 29 ARIZ 23.87 23.71W

ande

The Fortress
August 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Are you seriously using duct tape, Paul? :rofl: Hate your Pro that much?

I think I know which masters swimmer you refer to. If he/she is Speedo sponsored, why not use a LZR?

I'd like a report on whether Valerie Jenkins is as tall as you. lol I saw she was only .2 off Sue Walsh's world record in the 50 back.

knelson
August 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
- Did I say Gill was a weenie....and I think he gets hair implants on his chest

I think Mark would do well in a Jamie Farr (Klinger) look alike contest!

Uh oh, am I opening myself up for repercussions in some later meet?

- Rob Copeland wins the award for fewest strokes taken in a 50 fly by taking only 12 in the first 50 of his 400 IM. Yeah, distance per stroke is a good thing, but I think Rob might be taking it a little far. Rob was submerged so long after every stroke the lifeguards were ready to jump in a save him! :)

Swimmer Bill
August 18th, 2008, 12:42 AM
- Bill Volckening needs to quit hitting on all the 70 year old women..that all seem to be fighting for his attention....must be the quilt thing.

Oh dear. Poor soul. Paul, I think you lost your mind when you blew out the back of that Blue Seventy suit. I wasn't hitting on a 70 year old woman. I was just chatting with my mom!

Paul Smith
August 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Oh dear. Poor soul. Paul, I think you lost your mind when you blew out the back of that Blue Seventy suit. I wasn't hitting on a 70 year old woman. I was just chatting with my mom!

That's what all 40+ year olds who hit on 70+ year olds say!

SwimStud
August 18th, 2008, 08:54 AM
That's what all 40+ year olds who hit on 70+ year olds say!

Hahaha. Paul I think you and your poor, ever suffering wife need to go on the road as a double act with your one liners!

:D

Robin Parisi
August 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I'd like a report on whether Valerie Jenkins is as tall as you. lol I saw she was only .2 off Sue Walsh's world record in the 50 back.

Valerie broke the record leading off the Women's 200 medley relay last night: 31.71.

The Fortress
August 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Valerie broke the record leading off the Women's 200 medley relay last night: 31.71.

Blazing fast! Congrats to Valerie!

knelson
August 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Let me use this opportunity to congratulate Robin and her husband Frank for their excellent work on the Nationals newsletter. Like Michael Phelps I'm "at a loss for words" to describe how great the newsletters were! :)

mattson
August 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
As we are teammates of Mark Gill's, we feel obliged to defend him. He was heroic in our mixed free relay today, mowing down the 62 year old woman in the next lane.

Was that during the swim :drown: or before it :dedhorse: ?

FlyQueen
August 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Paul - check your geography. We have three seasons in Chicago - summer, winter and construction. Summer is hotter than Hades then after a few 70 degree days it's suddenly in the 40s ... this weather pattern has caused me to rethink where I live ... your suit mishap has left me traumatized so Arizona is off the list ...

swimshark
August 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Yes, the salmon was delish Paul. I loved licking my fingers after serving you, shorty.

Valerie is tall. And amazing. And always smiling.

Robin and Frank did a great job. Thanks.

And lucky me, Poll is in my age group. Means 1 less spot in Top 10. Oh well.

knelson
August 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM
And lucky me, Poll is in my age group. Means 1 less spot in Top 10. Oh well.

She's beatable, though. And how cool would it be to beat an Olympic gold medalist? I see in the results Sara Nelson of Oregon held off Poll to win the 200 IM!

swimshark
August 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
She's beatable, though. And how cool would it be to beat an Olympic gold medalist? I see in the results Sara Nelson of Oregon held off Poll to win the 200 IM!

Sarah is amazing!! And her daughter is so adorable.

Rob Copeland
August 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
- Rob Copeland after 3 days has the "best" average reaction time off the blocks; 1.87....were going to bring him a newspaper and roll of TP tomorrow so he can hang out there a little while longer.Hey, let’s see you get 230 pounds off the blocks quicker, without blowing out your suit. And besides, I was just hanging around to hear Mark announce the race.

- Rob Copeland throws elbows in war-ups...nice Mr. Prez!.I’m having a tough time adjusting from open water to pool swimming.

- Rob Copeland wins the award for fewest strokes taken in a 50 fly by taking only 12 in the first 50 of his 400 IM.
It was either 12 down 15 back or I would have needed a lifeguard.

Lump
August 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Rob, I'm just getting back into the water. What team do you swim for in GA? I'm up Cherokee and may end up with Cobb Stingrays as its the best fit for my route to/from work.

Rob Copeland
August 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Jeff,

I'm down in peachtree City. Welcome back!

Lump
August 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Jeff,

I'm down in peachtree City. Welcome back!

Thanks, this coming Monday will be my "offical" Day 1. We'll see how I like it (the team, coach, etc). If not, then I may do my own thing or look to start a group up in Canton at the YMCA.