PDA

View Full Version : Women's 50 Free

tygrr94
August 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
My best time ever was 35.19 when I was about 15 (lol).

I just read meet results from a sort-of-local short course meet; the two women in my 30-34 age group who swam it swam a 39 and a 44.

Are those times pretty average, good, or slow for a 50 free in that age group? If I just started master's swimming again after a few years, is getting down to those times and below within a few months realistic? I'm not exactly sure what I swim now but I know it's nowhere near 35.

I guess I should time it first?

ALM
August 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Go to www.usms.org

Click on "Competition"

Click on "Event Rankings"

Under the Long Course heading, choose 2007, women, 50 Free, 30-34 age group, display top 100

This will give you all of last year's swims that were uploaded to the USMS meets database.

You'll see that they range from 28.02 to 56.23.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Dara the 3rd best time in the 50. Next semis. How will she do?

dorothyrde
August 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I just read meet results from a sort-of-local short course meet; the two women in my 30-34 age group who swam it swam a 39 and a 44.

Are those times pretty average, good, or slow for a 50 free in that age group? If I just started master's swimming again after a few years, is getting down to those times and below within a few months realistic? I'm not exactly sure what I swim now but I know it's nowhere near 35.

I learned to swim at age 39, am now 47, and can go about 32 in the 50. I consider myself slow compared to a lot of women in my age group I see. But, it is not about that anyway, just get in, work-out and see where it takes you. Personally I do not like the 50, because learning as an adult has made my starts and turns not as good, and it is all about starts and turns. I think as a kid, you tend to be more fearless, and I am somewhat tentative on starts....plus I SMACK half the time, ouch.

Skaterbaj
August 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
When i was younger i took swim lessons with my mom. She failed the class and i passed lol

rtodd
August 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Are those times pretty average, good, or slow for a 50 free in that age group?

Slow. 26-31 is typical for a local meet.

tygrr94
August 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Holy cow, I'm so dumb. I am 36! Duh! Where was MY head?

3strokes
August 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM

I look at it from a different perspective.

a- I'm a man
b_ I'm 65 now (couch potato and heavy smoker till 2002)
c- My best 50m (LCM, naturally) Free of 45 years ago, 27.2 is what I have been watching, these days on the first 50 of women't 400s.

I like to think that a-, b- and c- above make me feel OK with myself.

Two years ago I did 35.16?. This February a 36.15 (after an extruded disc preceded by a fractured rib), so I'm hoping tht nex year i'll be able to keep out last September's wheelchair (if I manage to stay out of the pinwood box. Actually it'll be jars for me. I'm willing my body for the parts they can use, the rest for scientific reasearch and whatever's left-over, to be reheated and onto the petfood factory (dogs not catcs.)