PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Heats: Cochrane Breaks OR; Hackett Breaks it Back

LindsayNB
August 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Wow! A major international caliber Canadian breakthrough in the pool! Ryan Cochrane swims the second fastest 1500 of all time, 14:40.84, setting an Olympic record! Hackett took the record back and bumped him down to third fastest swim in a later heat but still, wow! What a swim! 10s off his Canadian record personal best time!
:canada: :party2: :cheerleader:

It appears that Hackett is in top form again too, he's got a good chance to win his third Olympic gold! Should be an exciting final!

ViveBene
August 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Congratulations to Canada!
I hope all are well for the long-distance finals.

Regards, VB

zanadu
August 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Unbelievable swim by Cochrane. Nice job Hackett!

Syd
August 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hackett didn't make the cut for the open water swim. I remember reading that a lot of the guys were 'going for him' (using elbows etc). I am not an open water swimmer but understand that it's completely different from pool swimming.

Anyway, be that as it may, my question is, if he had made the open water swim final how would he have managed to compete it on the same day as the 1500m?

I am assuming that the open water swim is the Mens Marathon 10km scheduled for tomorrow.

He does seem to be back on form again, though. I am kind of rooting for him as it will probably be his last Olympics.

How's that Canadian guy? I had never heard of him before. He is definitely in with a chance.

KeithM
August 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Don't celebrate too early Lindsey!

But yeah, I hope Ryan wins. But a medal would be pretty cool. I met him at the JEI. He's a nice kid.

3strokes
August 15th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Wow! A major international caliber Canadian breakthrough in the pool! Ryan Cochrane swims the second fastest 1500 of all time, 14:40.84, setting an Olympic record! Hackett took the record back and bumped him down to third fastest swim in a later heat but still, wow! What a swim! 10s off his Canadian record personal best time!
:canada: :party2: :cheerleader:

!

Did they show either or both semis in their entirety?
After 6pm, they (CBC) showed Ryan's last 25m (Ok. Maybe last 26.63 m) and Hackett's last bell. Any hope they'll show Ryan's -at least- some time? The Women's 800 wasn't even worth mentioning on CBC and NBC, naturally, cut with commercials.

LindsayNB
August 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Don't celebrate too early Lindsay!

But yeah, I hope Ryan wins. But a medal would be pretty cool. I met him at the JEI. He's a nice kid.

I wasn't making any predictions! No matter what happens in the finals that was an amazing breakthrough swim for him.

I'll be watching the feed online to avoid the usual breaks they always have in the tv coverage!

Go Ryan! :canada:

ALM
August 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Anyway, be that as it may, my question is, if he had made the open water swim final how would he have managed to compete it on the same day as the 1500m?

I am assuming that the open water swim is the Mens Marathon 10km scheduled for tomorrow.

The Men's 1500 is on August 16th. The Men's 10k swim is on August 20th.

Syd
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Oops! my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.

tjrpatt
August 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
This race is heating up to be interesting. The Russian guy, Yuri something and the UK's Davies are in the final. They might want to take down Hackett. It could between 5 people for gold. Jensen barely got into the final. The Korean guy didn't make the final. What happened to Vanderkaay. I am looking forward to watching it even though NBC will only show bits and pieces of it. I wonder what Hackett will do in the open water swim.

LindsayNB
August 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I wonder what Hackett will do in the open water swim.

Hackett didn't qualify for the open water event.

Shaman
August 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
A bit suspicious of the 2nd Chinese guy that got in. He was 8:08 at the world championships in the 800 a year ago and he go's 14:49 or whatever now? I know he's young but come on. Last years champ didn't even get in the final.

tjrpatt
August 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hackett didn't qualify for the open water event.

Didn't know that. I know that there was all this talk of him doing it. Oh well, maybe he just want retire from pool championship and just compete in open water. the 1500 should be a good race tonight.

LindsayNB
August 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Yea Ryan!

MELLOULI Oussama 14:40.84
HACKETT Grant 14:41.53
COCHRANE Ryan 14:42.69

Mellouli's time is EXACTLY equal to Ryan's time in the prelims!

Canada get's a medal in the pool on our second-last swim! :canada:

ViveBene
August 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Well swum!

Maui Mike
August 17th, 2008, 04:49 AM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/resultsandschedules/rsc=SWM015100/index.html

I find the consistancy of the fifty splits for the entire field amazing!