PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your goggles on

jillybean9621
August 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have always had this problem. During starts my goggles always seem to slip off my head or get water in them so during races I just chose to swim with out them. What might I be doing wrong when entering the pool that makes this happen? :confused:

LindsayNB
August 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Do you keep your head down and squeeze your ears with your elbows when entering the water? A high head position gives a high probability of a goggle loss for me.

Putting your cap on over your goggles also helps.

tjburk
August 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Take a look at some of the really good streamline dives.......

Pinch your head between your arms at the ears and hold your chin down to your chest until you feel yourself start to slow a little....then lift your head.

If your head is not down....water in goggles....
If you lift your head too soon...water in goggles.....

Practice it a lot in practice until it becomes second nature......if you have been watching the Olympics you'll see that it happens to the best......

jillybean9621
August 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks a ton! I have never done the "pinch you head between your arms at the ears" technique. I will definitely try that. I have also been watching the olympics and trying to get some techniques from the swimmers. I had never put my goggles underneath my cap either.
Thanks for this tips, I will definetly be practicing this especially because it is better to swim with the goggles then without.:groovy:

Midas
August 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks a ton! I have never done the "pinch you head between your arms at the ears" technique. I will definitely try that. I have also been watching the olympics and trying to get some techniques from the swimmers. I had never put my goggles underneath my cap either.
Thanks for this tips, I will definetly be practicing this especially because it is better to swim with the goggles then without.:groovy:

Good luck finding something that works. My advice was going to be to wear your goggles under your cap. That's what works for me. Also, you might want to make your goggles tighter. Look at the goggle marks on Katie Hoff's forehead before she swims and you can see how tight some of these swimmers have their goggles.

jillybean9621
August 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Good luck finding something that works. My advice was going to be to wear your goggles under your cap. That's what works for me. Also, you might want to make your goggles tighter. Look at the goggle marks on Katie Hoff's forehead before she swims and you can see how tight some of these swimmers have their goggles.

I noticed the goggle marks as well. I never wore them tight just because of lack of comfort. But when I get back into competition I will just learn to deal with the lack of comfort for the few minutes that I will be in the pool.

hofffam
August 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Katie's goggle situation looks extreme. I have never seen a swimmer get red marks on their forehead from their goggles.

The key is to keep your head down when it enters the water. If your goggles come off routinely you are probably looking forward instead of down. The water hits the top edge of the goggle and pushes them down.

Practice this by tucking your chin to your chest. I think you'll find it isn't hard to do routinely.

I hope that you don't wear bulky triathlete goggles. You'll have big trouble with those.