PDA

View Full Version : icons

saltine703
April 9th, 2003, 05:30 PM
As an oldie (age 72), newbie (just started accessing the forums), I have not the faintest idea what the envelope icons indicate (first column on the left). Please explain. Also, what is the purpose of the smilies, frownies, thumbs, etc.? Do you really need or want them?

KenChertoff
April 9th, 2003, 07:21 PM
The envelope icons relate to how active a thread is -- although I've never figured out the exact code. As for the smilies, etc., no, we don't really need them -- but they're fun :) . They do serve a purpose though; they can tell readers how something is meant, say, a joke, which isn't always obvious when something is written.

jean sterling
April 9th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Here is my interpretation of the envelope icons. If the envelope is open it means that there is a new post that you haven't read yet. If the envelope is closed, it means there is nothing new under that subject. There is a number which shows how many "threads" (posts) there are under a given subject. I think the "views" number is how many times a given subject has been looked at or viewed.

Hope you are no longer puzzled. :confused:

Good luck with your computer - they are a lot of fun. :)

matysekj
April 10th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Actually there is a legend at the bottom of nearly any page that uses icons. Every forum page (where threads are listed) has the legend for the envelope icons at the bottom.

Smilies are optional - those who post may use them if they want. Some people like to use them, some don't.

saltine703
April 10th, 2003, 02:47 AM
To all who replied, thanks. The important thing is, get those times down. Happy splashing.