PDA

View Full Version : Why do I feel extremely hungry after swim practice?

turkish
August 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
This doesn't happen with lifting weights or running but everytime after swim practice. I usually have a bowl of whole grain cereal an hour before swim practice (8 x 400m) but I am so hungry after swimming I can barely walk? What I am trying to say is, after I am done with practice, I can swim further and I won't feel the hunger but as soon as I get out of the pool, I feel the need to consume something. Like its harder for me to walk than swim post-practice. Any ideas? Anyone else experience the same?

anita
August 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
This happens to me as well. Try putting a bottle of Vitamin Water, Gatorade or the like on the deck and sip on it between sets (water it down if it upsets your stomach).

As far as I know, swimming burns more calories for a longer period of time than something like weight lifting, where you rest between shorter sets, and only work 1 or 2 muscle groups at a time. Swimming works the whole body, both sides, all at once. Add to that the constant deep breathing work, and you have yourself the best workout known to man (IMO).

Even if I do a straight 90 minute workout with cardio and weights at the same time (step with weights), I'm not nearly as hungry as I am after just an hour of swimming. And after 90 minutes of swimming I attack the bag of shelled sunflower seeds I keep in the car.

Did you see Phelps' meal plan? Oy.

Ripple
August 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I like a small handful of nuts, usually 12-16 pecans or almonds, for a post-swim snack. This contains a little protein, a little carbohydrate, and enough "good fat" to make it stick around until I can get home. Supposedly you can recover faster from a long (one hour or more) effort if you eat something within at least 30 and preferably within 15 minutes of finishing.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've been told by a GI doctor that when you swim your digestive system begins to work and everythign is moved into the bowel so the stomach sends signals that you are hungry. Which you are. this isn't though another support for the argument that swimming always burns calories and is good for everybody when they are trying to loose weight.