PDA

View Full Version : Torres & other close races

M_Tyson
August 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Has anyone seen definitive photos/video of the finish of finals of the women's 50m Free, or any of the other 0.01 second finishes, other than lanes 4 & 5 of the men's 100 Fly?

Yes, Phelps is the big story, and his finish was nearly unbelievable. Dara is also a big story, but NBC did not show underwater shots of Dara's finish even though the clock difference was the same 0.01. SportsIllustrated photos either had no underwater shots. (There was underwater video during the 1500 so the cameras were working)

Rowdy Gaines (during the broadcast, as they were showing one of the above water videos of the finish that appears to show the touches):
"Once again the finish. Steffen somehow or another comes up with that Michael Phelps-like magical [At this point, the touch happens & Rowdy's voice jumps] touch underneath. It looked like ... Dara had it. Dara had the finish!"In that video, it looks like Dara might have touched first but it is too hard to tell where Steffen's hand is. (Unfortunately, I recorded the SD broadcast rather than the HD)

In such a close race, I don't understand why they didn't show the underwater or overhead video to confirm the race results to the audience. After all the hoopla with the 100 Fly, you'd think that underwater video source would be highlighted more, not less!

I suppose it could be that all the cameras (except the overheads) are aimed only at lanes 4&5, while Dara's race was between lanes 3&4.

If anyone recorded the Saturday's late night broadcast in HD (12:30AM-2AM on the main NBC feed), there might have been something shown then as I missed recording that.

It is also interesting to analyze Dara's finish. The timing of the last stroke coming into the wall favors Steffen. Steffen's hand enters the water about 10" inches from the wall, while Dara's hand enters the water about 34" away. (There's about 8 floats difference) That leaves Dara with about 12" glide at the end of her last propulsion from her other hand. Her technique coming into the wall was pretty good, but maybe she might have kicked harder. It looks like when she stopped her arm movement, she stopped her kicking.

At the 3m mark (one full stroke before the end), I count 34 frames from her right hand entering the water until her left hand enters. At the end, I count 33 frames from the time her right hand enters the water until she touches.

I think she could have benefited by shortening her last stroke and taking one more stroke. Certainly she would have benefited by shortening her last two strokes.

Warren
August 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Steffen won, Phelps won. The touch pads are right.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Has anyone seen definitive photos/video of the finish of finals of the women's 50m Free, or any of the other 0.01 second finishes, other than lanes 4 & 5 of the men's 100 Fly?

Yes, Phelps is the big story, and his finish was nearly unbelievable. Dara is also a big story, but NBC did not show underwater shots of Dara's finish even though the clock difference was the same 0.01. SportsIllustrated photos either had no underwater shots. (There was underwater video during the 1500 so the cameras were working)

I was wondering the same thing. Seems odd that the day after we relied on those underwater shots we didn't get to see them for Dara's race.