PDA

View Full Version : The Professional Takes the Prize!

JMiller
August 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Watching Michael Phelps this summer has been very entertaining, and trying to summarize these performances has been incredibly difficult, yet surprisingly easy when you compare the two. If only pen and paper could equal Phelps in the water, an impossibility, for sure.

On more than one occasion I found myself standing in disbelief, arms pumping in the air, yelling at the top of my lungs, "Did you see that? MICHAEL PHELPS!!!"

In retrospect, I've been trying to decide which of the 8 races was THE greatest of them all. The 400 IM was sheer brilliance, as this seasoned professional cruised through the race, taking it on the freestyle. The 4x100 free relay was ridiculously entertaining, not just the swimming, but the post race reaction as well. 47.51 lead-off for Phelps, ending with a legendary 46.0 from Lezak, are you kidding me?

Next a 1:42.9, 200 freestyle, what is up with that?! Phelps proves that underwater kick is faster than top speed swimming, and he does it with a grin. That 200 freestyle race boggles my mind! Some reporter mentions that Phelps was teased as a kid because of his ears. I'm starting to think that there must be some extra SONAR capabilities emanating from his inner ear! How else could he do that?!

The 200 fly was brilliant, another World Record, but Phelps seemed unsatisfied. Why? Never before has the top three all finished in a 1:52, ever since he began to dominate, Phelps has never been challenged in his signature event. Could that be the reason for his displeasure, or is he simply concerned about the coming 100 fly?

The 4x200 free, 200 IM, and the 4x100 Medley are all exceptional performances, but the 100 fly, a come from behind, defy all the odds, that is precisely what makes sport so memorable.

That being said, and after many days of thought, I feel obligated to pick the 200 free as the single greatest performance from Michael Phelps. In the butterfly events, the 15m rule holds Michael from further domination, whereas in the 200 freestyle he is uncontested by even larger margins. Perhaps Phelps should consider racing the 400 free, in which case he could feasibly swim a 3:36, or faster!!?

Chris Stevenson
August 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM
The 200 fly was brilliant, another World Record, but Phelps seemed unsatisfied. Why? Never before has the top three all finished in a 1:52, ever since he began to dominate, Phelps has never been challenged in his signature event. Could that be the reason for his displeasure, or is he simply concerned about the coming 100 fly?

Hey Jonathan.

I think Phelps was upset that his goggles filled up with water at the start of the race. He said that he basically swum the race near-blind and had to count his strokes.

Not too shabby to set a WR under those conditions...if he had let this bother him more (like most of us would), the next swimmers were close enough that he would have lost the race.

So I would put this swim right up there with any of the others.

Chris

Reggie
August 19th, 2008, 01:19 AM
It seems as though you were there in the water with Mr. Phelps... Oh, to be so engaged with the the sport to so brilliantly see the significance of the occasion, Kudos... and gold goes to you for seeing greatness.

tjrpatt
August 19th, 2008, 10:59 AM
It is the Helen Keller 200 fly.

Jenelle
August 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself Bro. I was out of my seat in excitement when I watched that 200m free. Allthough the butterfly was amazing, I'd have to agree with you. The 200m free was my favorite event too!! I almost thought for a min though that he was pulling some illegal moves just with the extent of his dolphin kick. BUT I guess frestyle is freestyle and I was amazed.

:cheerleader: wooot micheal phelps!!!!

JMiller
August 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Haha, except Phelps could still use his sonar!
Did anyone notice how deep he went? It was strange,
he went way deeper, and didn't really kick at first, as if
he was trying to get the angle to the surface just right,
maybe there's a faster way up from there?

It is the Helen Keller 200 fly.

Jenelle
August 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I noticed the depth for sure. Hence why at first I thought maybe he was pulling some illegal moves but I guess not since he didn't get disqualified. As long as you dont touch the bottom eh' ;)

geochuck
August 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
It was pointed out many times by the annoucers. When I was swimming in the 50's Matt Mann told me to dive deep and pop out to swim downhill.

Haha, except Phelps could still use his sonar!
Did anyone notice how deep he went? It was strange,
he went way deeper, and didn't really kick at first, as if
he was trying to get the angle to the surface just right,
maybe there's a faster way up from there?