PDA

View Full Version : Phelps and Nike?

Blackbeard's Peg
August 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM
On the front page of today’s WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121902136503848419.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news)– speculation that Phelps could sign with Nike now that his Speedo contract is about up.

A sports mgmt professor suggested a bidding war could take place, and that he could be worth upwards of $50M to Nike (don’t know whether that would be what they’d offer him or what they’d make because of him), but his quote is “he could literally allow them to launch a massive swimwear company.” Imagine...

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I really hope he sticks with Speedo. I find most Nike products to be substandard, especially their shoes and golf equipment. I certainly wouldn't fault Phelps for going with Nike, or whichever company makes the best bid, but I hope Speedo is capable of stepping up as a serious bidder.

tjrpatt
August 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I hope that Nike would pay him close to a $100 million dollar contract. He is the greatest athlete to walk the earth. No pro athlete can compare to Phelps. Wow, that is pretty cool that a swimmer made the front page of the WSJ discussing who he will sign with. If he were to sign with Nike, I would buy their race suits.

lefty
August 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Lebron in Kobe showed up at finals sitting next to each other for a reason. Just their presence makes it seem that Nike is courting Phelps. This will be anwered soon: If Nike buys blue70 they will also sign Phelps.

$50M? Wow. Dolan got 3 years / $3M.

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM
He is the greatest athlete to walk the earth. No pro athlete can compare to Phelps.

It's not about greatness, it's about revenue. I have read where the majors Tiger has skipped are off 55-60% in viewership this year. Of course, with zero swim meets on TV, this won't be an issue for Phelps.

USMSarah
August 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Lebron in Kobe showed up at finals sitting next to each other for a reason. Just their presence makes it seem that Nike is courting Phelps. This will be anwered soon: If Nike buys blue70 they will also sign Phelps.

Nike may buy Blue Seventy?

Frank Thompson
August 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM

This is going to help Phelps cause in the future.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/tv/20080707/ENTERTAINMENT-OLYMPICS-NBC-DC/

smontanaro
August 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
It's not about greatness, it's about revenue. I have read where the majors Tiger has skipped are off 55-60% in viewership this year. Of course, with zero swim meets on TV, this won't be an issue for Phelps.

Phelps is going to take some time off. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that when he gets back in the pool there will be some big meets on tv...

Skip

SwimStud
August 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I wonder if Phelps mania might lead to a "Swimming Channel" on cable. May not be 24 hours but good meets. domestic, international, even Masters Nats etc. Clinics, classics, reality TV etc.

LindsayNB
August 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
It would seem really odd to me if Phelps won eight gold medals wearing Speedo suits, while the high profile Nike athletes abandoned Nike's products for Speedo suits, but by paying Phelps a lot of money Nike was able to get people to prefer Nike suits over Speedo suits. A strange world indeed. :shakeshead:

Redbird Alum
August 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
It would seem really odd to me if Phelps won eight gold medals wearing Speedo suits, while the high profile Nike athletes abandoned Nike's products for Speedo suits, but by paying Phelps a lot of money Nike was able to get people to prefer Nike suits over Speedo suits. A strange world indeed. :shakeshead:

AND... Nike would have a tough time using a lot of the eight gold medal footage! (unless they wanted to spot their competition some air time!)

SwimStud
August 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM
AND... Nike would have a tough time using a lot of the eight gold medal footage! (unless they wanted to spot their competition some air time!)

could do one of those pixel distorting blocks that they use on "Cops"

Jazz Hands
August 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I would like it if Nike got Phelps. Speedo is part of the swimming establishment, which in general understands very little about marketing and creating excitement. Watch some Nike commercials featuring top athletes, and you'll see that the company has made a brand from the universal sporting experience of hard training paying off in competition. Swimming fits right in to that image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=volIlLCZ3nM

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Phelps is going to take some time off. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that when he gets back in the pool there will be some big meets on tv...

Skip

You gotta line up top competition in great shape to make a big meet. Swimming is a weird thing endorsement wise. You are really endorsing products and a winning attitude versus the regular showcasing of them, as with basketball, golf, football, etc. It will be important for him to remain relevant. Staging some silly swim exhibitions might actually do nothing for him. Maybe he can make a come back in 2025 like Sptiz.

I agree with Jazzy that Nike is about the attitude. They have to be, their products blow. I wouldn't exactly call Nike not part of the sporting establishment. To me they are THE sporting establishment.

FlyQueen
August 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I would be a bit disappointed if Phelps signed with Nike, since he's been a Speedo guy for the last 8 years. Speedo is paying him a million dollars for those 8 swims - which apparently no insurance company was willing to underwrite.

The flip side of that is it could bring a lot more attention to swimming. Nike is the most well know brand in sports. I like it's running gear (not shoes) but generally hate their suits. I bought a couple in Portland so we'll see how those hold up.

I like loyalty but I think Nike could launch Phelps and swimming into immortality.

stillwater
August 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
"It's not about greatness, it's about revenue."

Maybe a bit about greatness.

In your defense, he didn't beat Spitz's one meet Olympic world record count .

LindsayNB
August 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Nike has at least one swim commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtZjCeEqnfY

And a nice one from, oddly, Shell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsAPkhJSAnA

dclaryjr
August 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I wonder if Phelps mania might lead to a "Swimming Channel" on cable. May not be 24 hours but good meets. domestic, international, even Masters Nats etc. Clinics, classics, reality TV etc.

That would be quite the quantum leap. I had a hard time finding the Worlds on TV last year. I ended having to subscribe to an extra sports package on Dish to get some obscure college sports channel that was showing it.

Jason Marsteller
August 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM

There is going to be something pretty close in Universal Sports (formerly WCSN). The network is on in Southern California and New York, and is working on making it into the rest of the markets.

NBC doesn't want its four-year investment to be just about every four years. Universal Sports is going to televise a bunch of stuff. Universal Sports should, if I am reading it correctly, carry over its FINA deal to be able to televise all of its meets.

I think USA Swimming's deal with Wasserman lasts another couple of years. So, it's probably going to be as long until all of the U.S. stuff is on television in that same fashion.

I wonder if USMS would hook up with Universal Sports to try to get its meets televised?

LindsayNB
August 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM
In Canada there is a proposal to create an "Amateur Sports Network" that would be shared among the many sport that don't get much television coverage between Olympics.

Personally I think that internet streaming might be a more cost-effective approach. I wonder how WCSN is doing.

I think USMS would have to move to a prelims-finals format to be watchable. Even then, the audience for masters swimming is the friends and relatives of masters swimmers.

tjrpatt
August 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Hello, NBC always puts that Duel in the Pool on TV. Sometimes, there are World Cup meets on CNBC. Plus, College Sports TV puts meets on. Don't forget, that ESPN 2 shows the World Championships and some network did have the Pan American or Pacifics on a few years ago. I think that ESPN might step up their World Championship coverage. Plus, there might be a Michael Phelps Invitational televised. Although swimming doesn't get the all weekend coverage that NASCAR gets, I do see a potential of more meets on network TV in the next four years. Come one, Michael Phelps got up to 40 million viewers one night.

3strokes
August 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I would pay for such a channel. (within reason)

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hello, NBC always puts that Duel in the Pool on TV. Sometimes, there are World Cup meets on CNBC. Plus, College Sports TV puts meets on. Don't forget, that ESPN 2 shows the World Championships and some network did have the Pan American or Pacifics on a few years ago. I think that ESPN might step up their World Championship coverage. Plus, there might be a Michael Phelps Invitational televised. Although swimming doesn't get the all weekend coverage that NASCAR gets, I do see a potential of more meets on network TV in the next four years. Come one, Michael Phelps got up to 40 million viewers one night.

Dream on, man. You are having an Olympic euphoric moment. This time next year you will be crying about having to DVR a meet opposite male enhancment infomercials on CSTV at 3 am.

SwimStud
August 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I wonder if USMS would hook up with Universal Sports to try to get its meets televised?

Maybe we as USMSites could form some sort of petition letter of intent to show interest for a channel? Any TV corp folks here?

SwimStud
August 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Dream on, man. You are having an Olympic euphoric moment. This time next year you will be crying about having to DVR a meet opposite male enhancment infomercials on CSTV at 3 am.
Avid Watcher?

Jason Marsteller
August 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Personally I think that internet streaming might be a more cost-effective approach. I wonder how WCSN is doing.

WCSN is now Universal Sports - under the NBC umbrella. I believe they get a bunch of Encore rights to Olympic sports footage (i.e. the re-runs). Also, they will be doing a bunch of other stuff for Olympic sports - including swimming.

LindsayNB
August 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe we as USMSites could fomr some sort of petition letter of intent to show interest for a channel? Any TV corp folks here?

How many nights a month would there be anything to show? And what would be on the rest of the time?

It seems to me that the whole "peak once a year for the big meet" aspect of swimming entirely unsuited to ongoing dedicated coverage.

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
How many nights a month would there be anything to show? And what would be on the rest of the time?

MMA for tjburk and Ellen for scyfreestyler.

tjburk
August 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Yes....because this Olympic boxing SUCKS....I absolutely hate the scoring they are using....and all of the blind boneheads they are using for judges!!!

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Yes....because this Olympic boxing SUCKS....I absolutely hate the scoring they are using....and all of the blind boneheads they are using for judges!!!

It's been hard for me to watch as well.

scyfreestyler
August 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM

:thhbbb:

tjrpatt
August 18th, 2008, 07:48 PM
A swimming channel would be great but I am not holding my breath.

turkish
August 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I hope that Nike would pay him close to a $100 million dollar contract. He is the greatest athlete to walk the earth. No pro athlete can compare to Phelps. Wow, that is pretty cool that a swimmer made the front page of the WSJ discussing who he will sign with. If he were to sign with Nike, I would buy their race suits.

Greatest swimmer? Sure.

Greatest athlete? Ummm. No way.

tjburk
August 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Greatest swimmer? Sure.

Greatest athlete? Ummm. No way.

Who would you nominate for Greatest Athlete?

ande
August 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
if nike signed phelps
they'd get an awesome line of tech suits
they'd know how to market him
they d have more resources than speedo
nike pays for prime time exposure of their swoosh