PDA

View Full Version : anybody want to sponsor me?

inspired again
August 19th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I know this is a long shot...but after watching Michael Phelps and the other swimmers I have been inspired to jump back in the water...and COMPETE. I was a decent swimmer 10 years ago in 100 fr, 200 fr, and 200 IM (jr cuts). I am 6'5'' with a 6'11'' wingspan, but the problem is the weight - 270 lbs.

With the new light swimming is receiving, would anyone be interested in watching my day-to-day as I get back in shape and aim to compete against the masters elites??? if so, please sponsor me so I can swim 4 hrs a day and not have to worry about work for a year!

abc
August 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
JMiller will sponsor you. You will need to register as a corporation and then go public. JMiller will then contact you about selling your stock :)

SwimStud
August 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
ROFLMAO!
Well, he may not now...what with the global credit crunch etc.

You guys mock but I think JM had a good embryonic idea, but there's plenty of $ if you are good enough.

inspired again
August 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
i knew it was too good to be true when i dreamt it last night!

ande
August 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM
hello inspired again,

welcome to the usms boards, Start training now.

at first you won't be able to train 4 hours a day,
you have to build up to that

The first believer has to be you.

You can train 4 hours a day and work.

Create a career that pays well.

if you "aim to compete against the masters elites??? if so, please sponsor me so I can swim 4 hrs a day and not have to worry about work for a year!"
you will probably not be able to find any sponsors unless you are Dara Torres.
So you will have to be your own sponsor.

Starting out you're likely to only get LOVE MONEY, if any
which is money from people who love you,
those who believe in you and want to help you reach your dreams
which might be your family and lovers

give us more details

Good luck,

Ande

6'5" world class swimmers tend to weigh around 200 - 210

I know this is a long shot...but after watching Michael Phelps and the other swimmers I have been inspired to jump back in the water...and COMPETE. I was a decent swimmer 10 years ago in 100 fr, 200 fr, and 200 IM (jr cuts). I am 6'5'' with a 6'11'' wingspan, but the problem is the weight - 270 lbs.

With the new light swimming is receiving, would anyone be interested in watching my day-to-day as I get back in shape and aim to compete against the masters elites??? if so, please sponsor me so I can swim 4 hrs a day and not have to worry about work for a year!

knelson
August 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
world class swimmers who are 6'5" weigh around 200 - 210

But don't let your current weight keep you from competing, inspired. I've seen plenty of big guys swim fast. The weight in a few months if you start training hard. Good luck!

JMiller
August 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I suggest first finding a good sales job, one that gives you a flexible schedule, and a product you really believe in. With the right product, sales and swimming can go hand in hand. Focus on the lifestyle benefits in the short term, and realize that everything you're doing now will keep you healthy and give you a better quality of life. With that in mind, who knows, you might make top 10 or better, in masters. Let me tell you, that feeling of accomplishment, that feeling of doing your best even as you age, that feeling is worth earning!

Check this link for good training idea's.
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=9092&page=2

inspired again
August 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
thanks all. what i miss the most is touching the wall after a great race and anticipation of the time while i turn around to check the scoreboard.

not too worried about the weight as I know it will come off with a regular routine. sort of like dalhauser though, i can lose about 5 lbs just doing yard work.

i know i need to work hard. need to find a coach in the VA area (although NBAC would be nice!).

i am fortunate to have a career that pays well...but very boring. looking for a lot more excitement.

pwolf66
August 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
i know i need to work hard. need to find a coach in the VA area (although NBAC would be nice!).

Where in the VA area? If it's N Va, I can provide some suggestions. PM me.

inspired again
August 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Reston area...

Warren
August 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
You should come to the George Mason Sprint Classic in October. It's good meet to start out with. It was the first masters meet that I went to.

pwolf66
August 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I 2nd Warren's suggestion. It's a great one day meet AND you get to do 25s, which rocks!!!

Plus you'll meet quite a few forumites there.

Paul

USMSarah
August 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Good luck to you starting up swimming again. There's not much else to say other than work your butt off. Be smart about your training, find what works for you and go with it. Don't try to start off with a strict diet and pounding out the yardage 5x a week. You do not want to burn yourself out. The weight will come off - do not worry about that. Just take baby-steps and enjoy your new masters swimming career. Meets are a blast... now you have a nice excuse to travel more!!!! Don't go out and quit your job - there are plenty of masters teams with practice times around work hours.

All of us share your Olympic Fever - it was an incredible week of swimming. Again, good luck and HAVE FUN.

:fish2: