PDA

View Full Version : Far Away from Team or Indoor Pools - Help!

holeyhippiegeek
August 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
For the first time in my life, I don't live close to an indoor pool. Yikes! Yeah, I know, it's Iowa, you say, duh!

Our outdoor pool will be closing soon, so I will have to begin the trek to the next town over (Perry, IA) to their pool.

However, I did find a Masters program in Des Moines, but that is about an hour away. With gas prices, my hippie, tree hugging ways, and Iowa winters, I'm not sure this is the best idea.

I have been a very competitive swimmer my entire life. I've been racing in Tris for the past five years, but I've decided that it's time to concentrate more on my swimming.

I'm great at training solo for tris, but not for all around swimming. I'm used to having my workouts given to me. Plus, other swimmers in the pool motivate me to work harder, get faster.

Here are a couple of my brainstorms:

Find a coach online to feed me workouts and give feedback.
Build my own indoor pool (awesome idea, but that won't be happening this winter! lol!)
Join the Masters team an hour away, but only practice once a week with them and practice on my own the rest of the week.

Does anyone have any other ideas???
--Reagan

Midas
August 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I like the idea of joining the masters team and only training with them one day a week. That way, the coach can give you the workouts for the rest of the week, somewhat solving your problem of swimming solo. And you'll have a team to swim meets with. Having people to root for and who will root for you is a huge boost at swim meets. We have several people on our team that do that, including one woman who travels about an hour each way to train with us on Saturdays. She doesn't always make it but she comes relatively frequently.

swimminlyn
August 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Reagan,

Swim with the masters team an hour a way once a week. I train on my own or sometimes with an USA-S team but the masters team I swim for is about 45 minutes away also. I try to get there once a week. It is nice to have others to swim with and a nice break away from the kids.

holeyhippiegeek
August 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone!
I think you've helped me make my decision! It's nice knowing that there are other folks out there doing the same thing. I can't wait to meet some fellow midwest swimmers.

Of course, I did meet lots of midwest swimmers while helping coach summer team. However, they were all 8 & Unders! lol!

I'll be updating my adventures in Iowa, including swimming on our blog. www.twobarnfarm.com