PDA

View Full Version : 15 Years is a long enough break!

Lump
August 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
So I'm back (well, only 5th session) in the pool after being out more/less for 15 years. I swam from age 7 to 23 (through college) and was burned out by my Senior year and wanted nothing to do with it afterwards. Played Rugby and other sports for recreation and now that I'm 37 I'm just sick of the gym and want to do something "fun" again and something non-impactful (is that a word?)

So anyway, right now I'm just swimming on my own and working on the basics...drills, breath control, streamline, kicking, etc. They finally changed the pool I swim at to SCY and that makes a big difference versus swimming LCM! I did 3000 last night and felt great...like its coming back to me a bit. Like most I'm ALOT bigger than I was in college so I have much weight to lose and flexibility to gain. I look more like a football player than a swimmer, but I'm gonna try to stick with it, for better for worse.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I may look into joining a master's program at the pool I swim at (Cobb Aquatics). Without tooting my own horn, I used to be a pretty decent nationally ranked middle/distance swimmer so hopefully I can return within 75% of what I used to be?! I've seen the state records and they give me something to shoot for. I know I have a LOONNGG way back though. I swam at 170 and I'm 240 today....but I have a totally different body style too so...

and YES, Dara, Michael, Jason and the whole USA team really inspired me to get back into it. :woot:

So I hope to be a regular poster and lend some of my experience and also refresh my memory too!

pwolf66
August 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Lump,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting back into the water. I had a slightly longer break than you (19 years) and have been swimming again since Sep 07. My suggestion is to not wait to join a Masters team and instead do it now. You will get more out of swimming with others than you will by yourself.

Again, welcome to the forum and happy swimming.

Paul

Lump
August 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Lump,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting back into the water. I had a slightly longer break than you (19 years) and have been swimming again since Sep 07. My suggestion is to not wait to join a Masters team and instead do it now. You will get more out of swimming with others than you will by yourself.

Again, welcome to the forum and happy swimming.

Paul

Thanks, my brother has been doing masters on and off just for exercise (he's WAY WAY more out of shape/heavier than me) and he's starting again Monday AM. I plan on joining. I don't expect to be the fastest by any stretch, but I would expect to be at least midpack. Either my expectations will be realized or I'm in for a rude awakening! :D

BTW, Lumpy was my nickname when I swam....LUMP for short!:D

tjrpatt
August 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Welcome back to the pool. Paul is right. The sooner you join the masters program, the better you will be. Don't worry about looking like a football player, I look like a football player and I am one of the best Masters swimmers in my area. The weight will come off but you need to challenge yourself at practice.

ImFree
August 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
ditto on joining a Masters team. All the reason you burned out before (same here) don't apply to Masters... you're in the pool because you want to be. Much more on your terms.... so you get out of it what you put into it. The social aspects are great, and so are the competitive aspects if you chose. It took me a while to get back as well, and I was up to 220, now down around 180, and at times around my college competition weight. Ease into it, and stick with it!

david.margrave
August 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM
10-20 years off is common. 20 years in my case (USS and H.S., no college swimming). I've been back for a year, and have managed to go from 215 to about 175-180 today in the course of a year. Welcome back.

knelson
August 20th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I don't expect to be the fastest by any stretch, but I would expect to be at least midpack. Either my expectations will be realized or I'm in for a rude awakening! :D

If you were a Nationals qualifier in your younger years you'll be one of the fastest swimmers even if you're out of shape. Yes, you'll probably tire out quickly, but it won't take you long to get back into decent shape if you get in consistently.

continuousharmony
August 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I was out of swimming for about 25 yrs. I ended in my early teens. It is something I have always loved. Two years ago, I had prepared myself to swim in a couple of open water swims. It was something I had always wanted to do. I am a terrible runner, never felt comfortable with it. So, my gratitude for the internet, to helping me find the swimmer's version of the road race was wonderful. I attempted to join a Masters team last year, but because of my work schedule it was very difficult to get there. This year, beginning next month, I am hoping to join a different team where the schedule is perfect for me. I have enjoyed all the people I have come in contact with when I am swimming. I am very excited of starting again. Unfortunately, I have not kept myself in any great shape, so this will be a beginning for me again. Kind of had a lapse this year, but am very excited to get started. :wiggle:

The Fortress
August 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I am one of the best Masters swimmers in my area.

Nothing like being confident going into Zones! I think you first need to be able to beat the chicks on your team. :P

pwolf66
August 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
hey, Fort, give him a break, you don't know what the definition of 'area' is. It could be the 5 foot circle surrounding him.

Lump
August 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I was out of swimming for about 25 yrs. I ended in my early teens. It is something I have always loved. Two years ago, I had prepared myself to swim in a couple of open water swims. It was something I had always wanted to do. I am a terrible runner, never felt comfortable with it. So, my gratitude for the internet, to helping me find the swimmer's version of the road race was wonderful. I attempted to join a Masters team last year, but because of my work schedule it was very difficult to get there. This year, beginning next month, I am hoping to join a different team where the schedule is perfect for me. I have enjoyed all the people I have come in contact with when I am swimming. I am very excited of starting again. Unfortunately, I have not kept myself in any great shape, so this will be a beginning for me again. Kind of had a lapse this year, but am very excited to get started. :wiggle:

Being that I was a distance swimmer I've always had an affinity for the open water swims. We did a few with my club team (Dynamo) when I was in high school as training and I aways liked them. They had one in my area last month, but I wasn't back in the water yet. Probably next summer.

Funny story: I had a swimming counterpart that was an Olympian in 1988 (Lars Jorgensen) who after graduating college got into triathalons. Apparently he was serious cause he got into the Ironman in Hawaii. So one day I'm watching TV on the couch, drinking a beer watching it. Then they show this swimmer just KILLING everyone and comes out like 5 mintues ahead on the swim. The TV announcer said his name and it was a new Ironman record on the swim...."Lars Jorgensen". I nearly spit my beer all over the TV. It was funny. Of course they caught him in no time on the bike, but it was cool to see someone I knew.

I used to be a good runner, but hurt my back in college, so that is another reason to get back in the pool. Its much easier on all my joints for that matter. Bench pressing over 300 lbs., squating a ton.... got me NOWHERE! I yearn to be lean again.:lmao:

Lump
August 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
If you were a Nationals qualifier in your younger years you'll be one of the fastest swimmers even if you're out of shape. Yes, you'll probably tire out quickly, but it won't take you long to get back into decent shape if you get in consistently.

Exactly. Starting back in a LCM pool killed me! Now that they are back to SCY this week I feel MUCH better. Each week my breath control gets a tiny bit better. Luckily I've never smoked, so building lung capacity should just be a matter of time!

Lump
August 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
10-20 years off is common. 20 years in my case (USS and H.S., no college swimming). I've been back for a year, and have managed to go from 215 to about 175-180 today in the course of a year. Welcome back.

Thanks! I'm figuring about a year to drop some weight and get back to a good spot (for the time being). I really want to get in shape enough to really make a run at some of the GA 35-39 records.