PDA

View Full Version : Who's done? Who's not?

FlyQueen
August 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Which Olympians are done? Which will give it a go for at least another year or two if not four? Anyone know for sure?

Still going:
Phelps
Hoff - I assume
Coughlin

Questionable
Peirsol
Crocker
Hansen
Torres
Lezak

Warren
August 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I think Crocker and Hansen are done. They havent said it yet but i think they are done / won't make the next olympic team.

Doug Adamavich
August 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
How about Lochte?

FlyQueen
August 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I think Lochte goes for another 4 years

I KNOW Coughlin, Hoff, and Phelps have all stated they plan on going for 2012.

justforfun
August 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Other guesses:
Still going--
Beisel, obviously
Soni, who must be energized by her performances
Hardy, who must be PO'd and looking to prove herself
Magnuson, still improving
Weber-Gale, still improving
Adrian, up and coming star
Grevers, more of a question mark but showed big improvements
C. Jones, seems to still be improving with lots more potential

Probably done--
Wildman-Tobriner, probably going to med school
Beard, way done

Big question marks--
Peirsol and Vanderkaay, both getting older and 4 yrs is far away, but still going PB's
Jensen, who knows?

jnbaker
August 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Prediction:

Gary Hall Jr. - changes his nickname to the God(grand)Father of swimming. Shows up out of the blue at the 2012 trials with an entourage of 12 people carrying the train of his parka.

Mark Spitz - decides that the advent of the LZR suit and goggles give him enough motivation to stage a comeback. Declares: "My new dedication to competition is so great that I remind me of a younger me"

ande
August 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM
heard Hansen doesn't want to end his career on that note

mctrusty
August 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
heard Hansen doesn't want to end his career on that note

He said something to that effect when they interviewed him after the 100 breast finals.

SLOmmafan
August 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
He said something to that effect when they interviewed him after the 100 breast finals.

Well, I am afraid he would end his career even further from a gold if he came back in the 2012 games.

justforfun
August 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I feel really badly for Hansen. The guy dominated for a long stretch and did everything but win an Olympic gold. For some reason, he was snake-bitten at the Olympics. Unfortunately, that's what people remember.

Midas
August 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
My guess is that Hansen comes back for a year or two, either sets new WRs or doesn't, and is done well before the next Olympics. He's an amazing swimmer but something seems to happen to his mental toughness at these big meets. Maybe Kitajima gets in his head. Who knows? He sure didn't swim up to his potential and I think he can still swim faster.

tjrpatt
August 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Prediction:

Gary Hall Jr. - changes his nickname to the God(grand)Father of swimming. Shows up out of the blue at the 2012 trials with an entourage of 12 people carrying the train of his parka.

Mark Spitz - decides that the advent of the LZR suit and goggles give him enough motivation to stage a comeback. Declares: "My new dedication to competition is so great that I remind me of a younger me"

Does anyone remember those network specials where Spitz was going to make a comeback? He did one where he competed against Matt Biondi and another against Tom Yaeger and they kicked his butt. After those specials, he decided to go back into retirement. I think that this was in the early 90s. Torres got back to the top the smart way, he won USMS titles and then did USS meets, then made the Olympic team and then won three more medals.

tjrpatt
August 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think that Hansen and Crocker are done if they don't get their heads straight.

Peirsol might retire. He had a great career.

I hope that Stovall stays in the pool.

Skaterbaj
August 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think that Hansen and Crocker are done if they don't get their heads straight.

Peirsol might retire. He had a great career.

I hope that Stovall stays in the pool.

How old is Peirsol? i think he good go for a good 2 more years

JoeBob
August 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM

Peirsol is 25. Coughlin is 26 and she'll take a long break to get married and enjoy life away from the pool.
She'll be playing catch-up when she comes back.

tjrpatt
August 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM

Hansen is about 27 so Peirsol might be the same age or a year younger. From what I can remember, he didn't swim his senior year to sign with Nike. Maybe 26. But, I think that he fulfilled his swimming dreams. Then again, he might stay in the pool because it is an easy living. You swim 4 hours a day and make a high 6 figure salary per year. I would think that Peirsol has a few million in the bank since he is a gold medalist five times over.