PDA

View Full Version : 200 IM help

lobaugma
August 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
i swam butterfly for my high school and college careers, but i want to swim the 200 IM. i am just starting swimming again and i have put in about 3000-3500 yards over the past couple of weeks, and i want to start getting some IM workouts that are beneficial. good at fly, back and i can come home strong on fr.
my goal is to complete a 200 (scy) IM in under 2:00. i have not swum the race competitively since my sophomore year in high school and then i went a 2:09. i did it from a push in one of my last college practices at about a 2:02 but that was years ago. it has been about 3 years since any hardcore training.
anything, ie, drills, sets, etc., will be helpful

thanks

ViveBene
August 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
USMS has 3 fine online coaches who put up daily workouts in the Workouts forum. I'm pretty sure they have some emphasizing IM.

Otherwise: :2cents:

Break each stroke down:
--kick
--L arm
--R arm
whole stroke

Do 25s and 50s for time. Sprint, take a reasonable rest, sprint again.

Practice legal turns.

Some days start with 100m of each kick.

(Anything there you didn't know? :D )

There are some classic 1600m IM sets.

I'll let the real coaches take over.

Regards, VB

USMSarah
August 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Coming off from a few years off from college swimming like myself, do not expect to go close to your times any time soon. It will take a while to get your body conditioned and performing near that level. Get on a team - this will help fire you up - as well as meet some great people. Work on breastroke like crazy - it seems as though breaststrokers always do better at the IM.

Good luck and welcome back.

Lump
August 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
My only advice is just TRAIN. Be sure that you train each stoke, not necessarily in the same workout, but each week. Especially work your weakest strokes. Work on the transitions between the strokes too, alot, meaning the turns.