PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Rotation (Freestyle)

blueshadow
August 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Newbie question - and sorry for my lack of technical terms :-)

When I watch a lot of lap swimmers they seem to be swimming "flat" i.e. chest pointing at bottom of pool and with the only "rotation" being the head turn to breathe.

However, I picked up Janet Evans' Total Swimming book and she says that for freestyle, the body is constantly rotating 90 deg facing left of pool and 90 deg facing right of the pool. And after pushoff, the only time the chest is parallel to the bottom of the pool is at the precise moment between rotating from one side to side.

I'm confused - are there just different schools of thought? Or is one used more for racing and the other for laps?

LindsayNB
August 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I don't know of any elite swimmers that swim freestyle with no rotation, there are several advantages to rotation in terms of streamlining and ability to utilize muscles. There are hundreds of videos on youtube.com of elite swimmers, check some of them out and see for yourself.

knelson
August 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm confused - are there just different schools of thought? Or is one used more for racing and the other for laps?

No, not really different schools of thought. One technique is used by poor swimmers (flat), the other is used by fast swimmers (rotation).

taruky
August 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Newbie question - and sorry for my lack of technical terms :-)

When I watch a lot of lap swimmers they seem to be swimming "flat" i.e. chest pointing at bottom of pool and with the only "rotation" being the head turn to breathe.

However, I picked up Janet Evans' Total Swimming book and she says that for freestyle, the body is constantly rotating 90 deg facing left of pool and 90 deg facing right of the pool. And after pushoff, the only time the chest is parallel to the bottom of the pool is at the precise moment between rotating from one side to side.

I think you may have misunderstood the 90 degree thing (or I am misunderstanding what you are saying). There is a 90 degree axis, however it is from 45 degrees left to 45 degrees right. I don't think anyone really rotates all the way to the sides. As far as the folks in the lap pool, it may be that they are swimming incorrectly (or still living in the 1960's), but it may also be that you are not noticing the rotation from above the water.

Lump
August 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Also, as they tire out their technique does as well, so you may see some "flat" swimming towards the end of races.

fanstone
August 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Let me ask this: when going all out, such as in sprinting a 50, would the sheer speed, and lack of breathing imply in less rotation or none at all? Complementing, if we always rotate, what's the problem with breathing, as we would be turning anyways...maybe 50 is something and everything above that is something else. billy fanstone