PDA

View Full Version : Many Thanks for Nationals

swimbake
August 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hi Everyone, this is Dennis and Brandon the Meet Directors from Mt. Hood LC Nationals this past weekend. We would like to thank all the swimmers for coming and swimming so fast in our new tank.

Thank you to the folks at USMS, you were so incredible to work with.

Thank you to our Organizing Committee. they worked really hard on very hot days. 2 years planning, all done, WOW. Nationals Enquirer, WOW.

Thank you to the amazing volunteers that were all over the place.

The Announcers were really on their game, thanks guys.

A big thank you to the Sponsors it was fun meeting and working with you all.

Lastly, we would like to thank the Officials. It was a All Star group and they did outstanding.

Good luck to all and thanks again, see you at Convention.

DB/BD

sarahwelch
August 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
You guys were awesome. The meet was exceptionally well run and we all had a great time. All the support was there for the swimmers, the pool was fast and the Oregon host team clearly came forward to do an amazing amount of work. Your 2 years of planning totally paid off, you had an incredible turnout and, for me, even the weather was fantastic. Of course, that's the benefit of living in the Northwest and having nice weather being so special. Thanks for all your hard work.
Sarah

knelson
August 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks to Bake and BD and everyone else who helped make Nationals such a success. What a great event!

USMS might not be getting lots of bids for Nationals, but boy the hosts that do bid sure have been doing a great job lately.

Allen Stark
August 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for a really well run meet.:cheerleader:

swimshark
August 31st, 2008, 06:56 AM
Does anyone know if we can buy the extra transfers for the t-shirts? I've washed mine twice and the shirt is already looking yucky (yellow-ish and pilled) and the transfer is already cracking. I would love to buy some, buy my own shirts and find someone locally that would do the actual transferring.

talne621
September 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Thank you for hosting a great meet.

That Guy
September 15th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Were relay leadoffs from LC Nats reported for top ten rankings, LMSC's, and so on? I did a 50 bk and a 50 free leading off relays but do not see myself in the event rankings or individual results on this site. (My times are slow, nowhere near top ten, it's morbid curiosity of just how bad a sprinter I am: :eeew:)

matysekj
September 16th, 2008, 11:06 AM
All relay leadoff splits and all intermediate splits from non-backstroke individual events have been recorded for top 10 purposes. This applies to both national events held this year.

Here's the reason why lead-off splits don't appear in any web listing that is based on our meet results database (event rankings, individual results tracking). This year we got rid of the requirement to fill out split request forms at nationals for these events in order to have the splits automatically recognized for top ten or records purposes**. That simplifies things for the swimmers and meet staff, since people don't have to remember to fill out a form and we don't have a huge stack of forms to misplace or manually enter. Instead, all automatically acceptable splits** are scanned for records and the top 10 splits of every intermediate distance in the meet are submitted separately for top 10 consideration.

Unfortunately, a side effect of this simplification is that the desired splits don't show as separate swims in our meet results database. We still need some sort of request system in order to show splits as separate swims in this database, and it should be developed for next year's nationals. It will only apply to those who want an initial split to show up in the database as a separate swim. For example, Paul Smith broke the USMS record in his first 100 of his 1000 at Austin. That 100 time isn't shown in the event rankings, but it is shown in the top 10 listing and was recorded as a new record. We need a system where Paul could request that split to be shown as a 100 free swim in the online results database. In the past, only requested splits were considered for records and top 10, and we could load that file into the meet results database as a separate meet (just the requested splits from nationals). That information is no longer available.

You may wonder why we don't just take all of the splits and show them as separate races in the results database, or why we don't take the top 10 splits for each distance as we do for top 10 consideration and show them as separate results. There are two reasons for not doing this.

First, that's a LOT of splits that would just clutter up the results database and be meaningless 99% of the time. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want the first 100 of any of my 1000 swims to show up as a 100 swim. It's not representative of what I can do in a 100. Therefore, it would take up resources on our server and not only not give any benefit, but it would tick me off to have it shown that way.

Second, if we just took the 10 fastest splits as we do for top 10 consideration and show them as separate races, we would be leaving out some splits that people DO want to be shown as individual swims. For example, I've heard from someone who did her best Masters 500 time in her initial split of her 1000 at Austin. She understandably wants that split to show as a 500 so she has a record of it. Unfortunately, that 500 split wasn't one of the fastest 10 500's in her age group at that meet, so taking the top 10 submission file from the meet and using it to list splits as separate swims wouldn't help her.

The bottom line is that we need a system where you can explicitly request that a certain split distance from ANY meet be shown as a separate swim.

Sorry for the long diatribe. It is a pet peeve of mine that this happened this year without considering all of the ramifications. I have collected PM's form people who want certain splits of theirs to be listed in the database from Austin. If you have some from either nationals meet this year, just PM the details to me and I'll save the info for future addition.

** Note that initial backstroke splits still need to be requested AHEAD OF TIME, so that the on-deck referee can witness the swim and verify that you touched on your back for that split distance rather than turning over to flip. There was a form at nationals to request this.

Chris Stevenson
September 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
We still need some sort of request system in order to show splits as separate swims in this database, and it should be developed for next year's nationals. It will only apply to those who want an initial split to show up in the database as a separate swim.

Thanks for the explanation, Jim. Your reasoning of why initial splits should not included automatically in the current Event Rankings makes a lot of sense -- the cases where a person uses the first 50 of a 200 (say) for an official time is the exception, not the rule.

But I would think that relay leadoff splits SHOULD be automatically included because the same reasoning doesn't really apply to them: people usually swim their relay leg as fast as they can.

matysekj
September 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
But I would think that relay leadoff splits SHOULD be automatically included because the same reasoning doesn't really apply to them: people usually swim their relay leg as fast as they can.

Good point. Dang.

That Guy
September 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the explanation Jim! If the system changes in the future, I agree with Chris that I wouldn't expect my splits of longer events to be in the system unless I had requested it at the time of the race. Relay leadoffs would be great to have though.

Michelina
September 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Question out there... Ron Abitia of North West Game Films (http://www.nwgamefilms.com/ (http://www.nwgamefilms.com/)) who was the man that was selling the DVD's of each race at LCM Nat's in Mt Hood... who should I give feedback to regarding his services? Dennis and Brandon? Someone at USMS?

It has been almost 30 days (on Friday) since I purchased the DVD of the 200 Free and still... its not here. This is an awful way to treat the customer and feel they should know so they don't use him and his service in the future.