PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Unattached?

RobbieD
August 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Everyone-

I've been out of the pool for about 10 years (!) now and I want to get back into swimming and competing every once and a while. I've been swimming regularly at my gym and getting back into swimming shape but I'm not sure if I want to actually join up with a team. Is anybody out there unattached that could give me some pointers? Or am I much better off joining up with a team?

thanks!

Rob D.

Kurt Dickson
August 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Teams are nice if you need someone to motivate you, need some pointers, or are a social animal. Workouts are available online on this very site under....you guessed it, workouts. I don't have any teams nearby and people don't like me so I swim alone. Good luck.

jnbaker
August 25th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I swim unattached. There are several good teams in my area, but I really only have time to swim 'cause I pass a YMCA on my way to work - and that Y doesn't have a Master's team. I have 3 young kids at home, and my wife would shoot me if I tried to spend an hour or more each evening to swim. Swimming unattached and training in the morning works for me at this point in my life.

What helps me is to sign up for meets as soon as the signup sheets are out. Knowing that I have upcoming meets helps me get out of bed in the morning to train instead of hitting snooze....

I think it is definitely better to swim with a team, but lots of people swim unattached.

RobbieD
August 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I think I'd probably do better with a team but I have a similar problem with schedules and geography. I try to be as car free as possible and the team that I think would be the best fit for me is a 35 mile round trip that I don't have time for, plus I prefer to swim at night not 6:30 in the morning.

I'm glad being unattached is a pretty common thing, I think at least this year that's going to be the route I go. I've got my eyes set on doing a meet in November in San Luis Obispo and I'll see where things go from there!