PDA

View Full Version : Bob Bowman throws everything out the door...

lobaugma
August 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=255135.html?_source=rss&cid=

Interesting part of the article:

"Phelps has said Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods are the two superstars he'd most like to meet following his exploits in China, and he could be emulating one of them already.

Woods took time at the pinnacle of his career to remodel his swing to renew his dominance, and Phelps is speaking of completely switching the training program he has followed for the past decade.

Phelps said the changes suggested by coach Bob Bowman could help rejuvenate him mentally and physically after what he described as the most grueling period of his life.
"Bob said to me that he's going to take everything he's done coaching me and throw it out the door and try something completely different, just to see how it works," Phelps said. "We'll try a bunch of new things. If we're successful, great. If not, we can go back to what we've been doing."

Are Phelps and Bowman considering specificity training?

Lump
August 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
My belief is that he will start focusing on the the sprints. That means while still having plenty intensity, it won't be the marathon workouts he's done in the past. I'm sure he'll put on some muscle as well for some added strength.

Where else could he go. If he goes to distance his workout will only get longer to be sure.

Sam Perry
August 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Where else could he go.

They could go for Synchronized Swimming.

geochuck
August 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
LESS YARDAGE MORE INTENSITY.

After that -

More funning.

More girling.

More boozing.

beluga
August 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Favorite quote from the article:

"No breaststroke, no distance swimming, no open water swimming," Phelps said. "At least those guys will still be my friends."

Backstrokers and sprinters look out.

Chris Stevenson
August 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
"No breaststroke, no distance swimming, no open water swimming," Phelps said. "At least those guys will still be my friends."

Too bad. A friend of mine was wondering whether Phelps would go for gold in all the 100s...that would be pretty cool. I would say it is impossible, but then again there are 14 golds that maybe say otherwise.

justforfun
August 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Too bad. A friend of mine was wondering whether Phelps would go for gold in all the 100s...that would be pretty cool. I would say it is impossible, but then again there are 14 golds that maybe say otherwise.
I agree. I would love to see him go for all the 100s. I don't think anyone has even attempted it at the Olympics before. Unofficially, isn't Brendan Hansen the only member of the Under One Minute x 4 club that we know of?

Chris Stevenson
August 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I agree. I would love to see him go for all the 100s. I don't think anyone has even attempted it at the Olympics before. Unofficially, isn't Brendan Hansen the only member of the Under One Minute x 4 club that we know of?

Pretty sure Jeff Commings is too.

ande
August 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Is he getting a sex change to compete as a woman? ;-)

I liked this from the article:

"If you're having fun, that's really all that matters," Phelps said. "You can still do everything and still be successful. You can do anything and everything. One of the biggest things I've learned over last four years is that anything's possible.

"I've had some pretty lofty dreams in my head. Those dreams and those goals are going to stay until they're accomplished," Phelps added. "It's not going to be easy getting there, there are going to be some bumps in the road here and there, but everyone has bumps in the road and it depends how you get over them."

Jazz Hands
August 25th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I think he wants to be a sprinter. Really, who doesn't?

Phelps went 47.5 with the physique of Jack from The Nightmare Before Christmas. If he can build up to look more like Fred Bousquet or Jason Lezak, he'll be unstoppable in the sprints.

hofffam
August 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I think he wants to be a sprinter. Really, who doesn't?

Phelps went 47.5 with the physique of Jack from The Nightmare Before Christmas. If he can build up to look more like Fred Bousquet or Jason Lezak, he'll be unstoppable in the sprints.

I don't think Phelps needs to bulk up like Bousquet (or Bernard). After all he is just .3 secs off the WR of Sullivan (who is not so big). If Phelps can simply swim the first half quicker - he will own the 100 free and 100 fly records. Probably 100 back too.

It will be very interesting to see how Bowman changes Phelps' training. I'm not aware of many elite middle distance swimmers changing their entire program to long sprints.

Shaman
August 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think Phelps needs to bulk up like Bousquet (or Bernard). After all he is just .3 secs off the WR of Sullivan (who is not so big).

The WR is 47.05.

Jeff Commings
August 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Pretty sure Jeff Commings is too.

I have never been under the one-minute barrier in either the 100 fly or 100 breast.

Yes, my butterfly is slower than my backstroke. (No comments from the peanut gallery)

scyfreestyler
August 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Is he getting a sex change to compete as a woman? ;-)

I liked this from the article:

"If you're having fun, that's really all that matters," Phelps said. "You can still do everything and still be successful. You can do anything and everything. One of the biggest things I've learned over last four years is that anything's possible.

"I've had some pretty lofty dreams in my head. Those dreams and those goals are going to stay until they're accomplished," Phelps added. "It's not going to be easy getting there, there are going to be some bumps in the road here and there, but everyone has bumps in the road and it depends how you get over them."

He keeps saying this, but I'm not buying it. I am sure most of us are capable of far more than we give ourselves credit for, but not everybody can swim a 47.50 LC Freestyle or make the Olympic Team in our favorite event or sport.

LindsayNB
August 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
But Sullivan proves that bulking up is not the only way to swim extremely fast.

hofffam
August 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
The WR is 47.05.

You're right. So he is .5 secs off. I think he can improve more than .5 secs just by adjusting his training. Strength will help but he doesn't need to be as big as Bernard.

Jazz Hands
August 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
You're right. So he is .5 secs off. I think he can improve more than .5 secs just by adjusting his training. Strength will help but he doesn't need to be as big as Bernard.

I'm not talking about 47.0, I'm talking about 46.0. Phelps dominates the 200, and he can do the exact same thing in the 100 if he chooses to work on strength.

bcm119
August 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I think Phelps would have a lot of trouble dominating the 100 fr, and I doubt he'd ever be able to compete at the same level in the 50. He doesn't have sprinter muscles- and I don't mean strength, just ability to apply strength in short bursts. I think pure sprinters with similar wingspan and stroke efficiency will always beat him in the 50 and usually in the 100.

I'd say Phelps owning the 50 is about as likely as someone like Cielo owning the 200.

geochuck
August 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I would not count Phelps out as a sprinter. I would say he probably would have qualified for the final in all of the sprints. If he had trained to sprint he more than likely would have won the 50 and the 100.

He has the body of a swimmer that could win any event he wished.

pwolf66
August 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just think of the training sets that he could do with his body's ability to a) generate less lactic acid and b) flush that lactic acid faster. Holy cow, the mind reels.

knelson
August 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think Phelps can improve in the 100 free, but can he improve more than the other guys who are faster than him right now? I'd actually like to see him take on the 400 free more than focus on the 100.

scyfreestyler
August 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think Phelps can improve in the 100 free, but can he improve more than the other guys who are faster than him right now? I'd actually like to see him take on the 400 free more than focus on the 100.

That's what I'm talking about! :D

Shaman
August 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think Phelps would have a lot of trouble dominating the 100 fr, and I doubt he'd ever be able to compete at the same level in the 50. He doesn't have sprinter muscles- and I don't mean strength, just ability to apply strength in short bursts. I think pure sprinters with similar wingspan and stroke efficiency will always beat him in the 50 and usually in the 100.

I'd say Phelps owning the 50 is about as likely as someone like Cielo owning the 200.

Give Cielo credit, he went 1:35.6 at SEC's, admittedly the LC 200 is a much different beast than the SC 200 but he doesn't die as much as some would.

I have never been under the one-minute barrier in either the 100 fly or 100 breast.

Yes, my butterfly is slower than my backstroke. (No comments from the peanut gallery)

American record in 200 Back is 1:36.81
American record in 200 Fly is 1:39.70

American record in 100 Back 44.60
NCAA record in 100 Fly 44.57

:notworthy: to flipturns.

Jeff Commings
August 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Now do the long course comparisons.

ande
August 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM
on starts
diving forward off a block is way faster than starting with a backwards dive in the water with your feet on the touch pads

The height of the block and better grip of the block provides a significant advantage. Swimmers travel further through the air and enter the water with more speed and momentum.

on backstroke
I wish we could start with a forward dive then roll over underwater
It would be a great thing.

on turns:
I wish we could do no hand touching flip turns on butterfly and breastroke

On touches:
I wish we could do one hand touches on breastroke and butterfly
allowing swimmers to take a single arm pull on the final touch

American record in 200 Back is 1:36.81
American record in 200 Fly is 1:39.70

American record in 100 Back 44.60
NCAA record in 100 Fly 44.57

:notworthy: to flipturns

Ken Classen
August 28th, 2008, 11:16 PM
"Bob said to me that he's going to take everything he's done coaching me and throw it out the door and try something completely different, just to see how it works," Phelps said. "We'll try a bunch of new things. If we're successful, great. If not, we can go back to what we've been doing."

Maybe Bob liked what he saw and heard about the Dara T's training methods.

lefty
August 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Give Cielo credit, he went 1:35.6 at SEC's, admittedly the LC 200 is a much different beast than the SC 200 but he doesn't die as much as some would.

What did he go in the 100 free at SEC's? I think 41 high. 1:35.6 from 41 high is a big dropoff. Most 1:35 guys who are 43/44 in the 100. I doubt Cielo will even swim the 200 in an international meet.

ddunbar
August 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
on turns:
I wish we could do no hand touching flip turns on butterfly and breastroke

On touches:
I wish we could do one hand touches on breastroke and butterfly
allowing swimmers to take a single arm pull on the final touch

Lack of O2 would hurt on the no handed flips. That last breath is needed to set up a good long pull out and on the 7th turn on the 200 Breast, I could use the air.

I am guilty of the one handed touches or atleast not touching with both hands at the same time in Breastand hope to get this new bad habit broken before the first round of competition. I think that you set up better for the pullout with both hands on the wall.

mctrusty
August 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I am guilty of the one handed touches or atleast not touching with both hands at the same time in Breastand hope to get this new bad habit broken before the first round of competition. I think that you set up better for the pullout with both hands on the wall.

That's one of my favorite practice moves -- the one-handed breast (and fly) turn. I do two-handed in meets or faster practice swims. Neither way makes a difference on my pullout.

hofffam
August 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM

I haven't read anything to say that Phelps wants to compete in the 50. He is probably slow-twitch biased. And some research says muscle fibers can't be changed from one type to another.

But the 100 requires aerobic capacity - which Phelps already has like no one else. I don't see why Phelps can't improve his 1st 50 and still finish stronger than anyone in the field.

For those talking about Cielo - I understand he swam the 200 at SECs because the team asked him to. Auburn was fighting for points and they felt Cielo could score. I don't think he has any desire to train for the 200.