PDA

View Full Version : Add 100 IM to LCM meets!

justforfun
August 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
The 100 IM is the most fun event on the Masters swimming short course schedule. Takes you back to being 9 years old again.

We should add it to the long course schedule. Who really needs a wall to change strokes? The rule could be that the swimmer must change from fly to back and from breast to free in a transition zone in the middle of the pool. The zone could be markers on the lane lines or the transition must begin when the head reaches a marker at 25m and must end before the feet pass the same marker.

Good idea or impractical?

knelson
August 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I've thought about this before, too. I think you would need something like a transition zone (probably 5 meters) where you would change strokes. Here's the problem, though. If you allow a zone, people are going to try to switch from breast to free as early in the transition zone as possible and this is going to make judging very difficult. I certainly wouldn't want to be the judge responsible for transition zone DQs!

Lump
August 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Next thing you know they have "corkscrew freestyle".

Thanks, but no thanks.

knelson
August 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm probably overthinking this, but how would you legally transition from fly to back? Thinking about doing 100 IMs in a long course pool, most people probably take a one-armed fly stroke to flip themseleves onto their backs. That would then be an illegal fly and you should be DQed. So, unless you said anything goes in the transition zone I'm not sure how you could do this, and if you did say "anything goes" that would cause problems, too.

dorothyrde
August 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
The Carbondale long course meet does the 100 IM and it is fun. You have to do your transition between the colored sections on the lane lines, and they give you plenty of time to do it. Nadine gave me a handy tip, fly until you are almost to the end of the transition, then flip, breast to the beginning of the transition and then switch to free. Common sense, but most people did not do it, and it gave me a good advantage. Good time.

aquageek
August 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Since it's a goofy idea anyway, what difference does it make on stroke order?

Its a slow show
August 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I would love it-bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jnbaker
August 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm probably overthinking this, but how would you legally transition from fly to back? .... So, unless you said anything goes in the transition zone I'm not sure how you could do this, and if you did say "anything goes" that would cause problems, too.

I think the best way around this is to add another rule that states the swimmers must chug a beer before they can leave the transition zone. That way they will already be vertical, and can transition into backstroke more fluidly.

We will probably want to go with beer that has been dyed either green or red so the refs can easily determine who really drank their beer and who spilled most of it into the pool.

Obviously, puking before the race is over is an automatic DQ.

justforfun
August 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
All right--to make the transitions more fluid and easier to judge, the order should be fly-breast-back-free. Fly-to-breast would be pretty easy and doesn't require a front-to-back. Back-to-free just requires the same motion as a regular backstroke turn. Problem solved.

knelson
August 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Problem solved.

I agree. Good solution!

matysekj
August 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I've thought about this before, too.

Kirk, sorry but you'll have to turn in your distance swimmer card for even thinking about a 100 IM.

cwilson
August 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
More rules??? LOVE that idea :doh:

Sooner
August 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Impractical and more of a goofy event for the end of a meet. could go hand in hand with the beer relay like we do at Zones.

smontanaro
August 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Might as well add both 100 relays while you're at it...

Skip

justforfun
August 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Might as well add both 100 relays while you're at it...

Skip

Now, there is another excellent idea!

TheGoodSmith
August 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM
100IM LCM

I vote we do it.

John Smith

smontanaro
August 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM
One other thing I forgot to add to my relay suggestion: tie a little floating beer caddy to the lane lines at the 25m mark.

Skip