PDA

View Full Version : Addicted? Introduction

riseforms
August 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I introduced myself in another thread.. I'm Mike.. almost 30, used to swim recreationally as a kid all the time, have a lot of bad habits but I am really getting into swimming and have been the past couple months. First for fitness... Out of shape and I hate running. Now getting really excited about swimming.

Hit my first masters practice the other day and try to get at least 4-5 (really want 6 but with work and kids a bit difficult to hit) days a week with a minimum of 1500yds (SCY pool) but try for 2000+ yds a day (around an hour each morning). I was told my Dolphin kick looked surprisingly good for learning on the internet (hope to get ahold of a camera to get more strict critique from you all :) ).. My crawl needs some work, I do the scissor kick with my breast stroke (learned that way as a kid and it's ingrained) and hope to get the butterfly in the coming weeks.

Anyway.. I am definitely excited about this and the thought just dawned on me at work that I think I have a problem.. I happened to catch the whiff of pool chemicals on my skin (yeah I showered..) and I instantly wanted to get back to the pool for another hour. My shoulders are tired but I think I would really do it..

You know what I mean about that addiction? I actually am seriously thinking about officially joining masters and trying to compete next year.. Need some work.. my fasters 100yd freestyle is only about 1:20 (with horrid turns that find me quickly bobbing up for air, freaking out ;) )

Anyway hoping I can stick with it and hoping that I can get up the courage to wear something other than my beach/rec pool style swim suit and get into something that is a bit more conducive to training...

swim25
August 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Haha I am the same way. Get a good practice in then later in the day you start to sweat and smell the chlorine, and you just wanna flip-turn again. As with the suit, go get a good speedo suit. I'll tell you you that I am actually more comfortable in my speedo than in regular clothes. I recently moved and have not found a pool yet but there is one at the school I am going too (not very nice) but once I find the pool (moving has kept me from going to it) I think I am going to join the masters. Might as well meet people who are like me and love to do what I love.

riseforms
August 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Haha I am the same way. Get a good practice in then later in the day you start to sweat and smell the chlorine, and you just wanna flip-turn again.

exactly. Especially the flip turn and the SDK... I was doing a lot of underwater dolphin drills after my 1800 or so swimming/kicking and that is what I was really longing for once I got that whiff..

As for the speedo.. I might.. I should especially if I want to feel the water better and compete someday.. Strange what society has done to me but as for swimming, I know it's for me at least :)