PDA

View Full Version : Lump's Blog

Lump
August 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
So last night I created a blog to show my progress and post my workouts on my way back from a 15-year layoff. I've added a little about me and what my goals are. As I learn to "blog" better I will add new features, links, etc.

Hope it helps folks out! Thanks! :applaud:
Jeff

http://jeffpalm-swimming.blogspot.com/

SaltySwimmer
August 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Cool blog, Jeff! I like it! Your goals remind me that I need to set some for myself. (I'm just getting back into swimming as well after a veeeeeery long hiatus, although never got to the same level as you, competitive-wise.)

Good luck with your training!

pwolf66
August 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Jeff,
Don't sell yourself short with regards to doing a meet. Why wait 6-8 months? Why not find one in the next month or so and register for a couple of events. This will do two things. The first is give you motivation and the second is give you opportunity to meet other Masters folks. I felt the same way as you but I entered a meet one month after I started back and I met such a wonderful group of folks. I have since gone to 2 Nats with these folks and have had a blast everytime we get together.

Lump
August 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I MAY do a meet sooner, we will see. I just want plenty of time to sort my stroke (I'm a freestyler and some backstoke mostly). Right now my free feels good UNTIL I really have to pick up the tempo. Once I do that my stroke feels like its falling apart. It just takes TIME....like most sports its all muscle memory so I want to be "right" before going to a meet. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and control freak so.....:violin:

As long as I see progression and results in and out of the pool then I'll be happy.

SLOmmafan
August 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Wow - those are some solid "best times" - looks like you were a very good college swimmer. I was only out for about 5 years after high school, but my general experience was that I was about 6-8 seconds slower per 100 meters/yards from my "best times" in high school. So while I could do a 49 second 100 y free in high school, I could perhaps pull of a 55-56 second 100 y after first getting back in. Don't know if this is anywhat your experience as well.

The muscle memory you develop as a child/teen swimmer seems to really stick with you vs. those that start as adults.

Lump
August 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Wow - those are some solid "best times" - looks like you were a very good college swimmer. I was only out for about 5 years after high school, but my general experience was that I was about 6-8 seconds slower per 100 meters/yards from my "best times" in high school. So while I could do a 49 second 100 y free in high school, I could perhaps pull of a 55-56 second 100 y after first getting back in. Don't know if this is anywhat your experience as well.

The muscle memory you develop as a child/teen swimmer seems to really stick with you vs. those that start as adults.

Thanks, I probably should have been faster. Twice I missed Olympic Trials too.....which REALLY burns my ass. Once due to qualifying after the cutoff date in 1988, and the other in 92' when I missed by .12 or something in the 400 free. While in college I focused more on the middle distances as opposed to while in high school. Also the mile isn't swum in college nearly as much. I hated the dual meet format too and number of meets. I prefer to train, train and only do a few meets before I shave (twice a year). College was tough for me to get alot better with so much going on (school, women, parties, etc). Its difficult to REALLY focus there....for me at least.

If I were to go off the block for a 100 Yard free right now I'd "guess" I'd be :58 maybe....maybe. I've still got along way to go to build "tempo". In a 50 I'd be better, less time to fatigue and fall apart!

Time and Training, Time and Training.....

knelson
August 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I see you're a Gamecock, Jeff. You probably know someone I swam with: Jon Moore.

Lump
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I see you're a Gamecock, Jeff. You probably know someone I swam with: Jon Moore.

ALL too well! I was in his wedding as well. I miss Jonny boy!;) He's married, 2 boy and a girl, and running a restaurant still I believe. I know he was doing some coaching and swimming for awhile, but I haven't heard from him in a year or so. Jon and I were good buddies in college.

tjrpatt
August 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I got back in the water late November 2007 and did my first meet in 3 1/2 in January 2008. I initally wanted to wait 6 months but I am glad that I took the plunge after two months back in the pool. It will tell you where you are at.

swimminlyn
August 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Don't wait on doing a meet. Just go for it. When I first joined masters 3 yrs ago I did a meet 3 weeks after starting. Over the past 3 yrs I have enjoyed seeing the improvements and drop in times that I have made. So the 1st meet you can get to go. Don't wait. Then you can see where you are at and be able to adjust your workouts accordingly. Have fun with it too.

Lump
August 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
We'll see about when I do a meet. I've done 1/2 million in my life, so I know what they are all about, what expect, etc....right now I just want to train. I'm not in any hurry.

I have to make sure I can make the distance of the race first without needing to be pulled off the bottom of the pool! :rofl: