PDA

View Full Version : Do Masters Swimmers enjoy clinics?

Nathan
August 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone,

Megan and I put on a few clinics each summer and now that she is back from Beijing, we're setting a couple up. Generally we've gone and had the pleasure of visiting age group clubs, but have been thinking "Hey, we know some pretty awesome masters swimmers, too." We don't have too many masters teams around here though, so we're not really sure of the landscape of the teams and such. Do Masters swimmers enjoy clinics? Just wanted to check in and ask the professionals :weightlifter:

Best wishes!

Nathan

tjrpatt
August 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Clinics are really helpful. Of course, I would really love to find a good Masters swimming camp. I wouldn't mind doing the ones that Karyn Pipes-Nielson and her husband run but I don't have the dough to go to Hawaii for 5 days.

ALM
August 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
YES. If you target triathletes as well as swimmers, you'll probably get a good response.

I attended one of Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen's clinics in June. It was a 4-hour clinic, taught by Karlyn and her husband Eric. My only complaint is, they taught us so many good drills that I can't remember them all!

blainesapprentice
August 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Clinics are really helpful. Of course, I would really love to find a good Masters swimming camp. I wouldn't mind doing the ones that Karyn Pipes-Nielson and her husband run but I don't have the dough to go to Hawaii for 5 days.

omg I agree! I wish someone would host a week long masters swim camp during like the summer months. It would be such a great combination of swimming and social aspects. I loved swim camps as an age grouper and wanted to keep going through college but no one would take me because of my age...now that I am 22...I still miss swim camps!

pwolf66
August 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM
YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

I would love to attend any and all clinics. The best ones are the ones that incorporate video taping so that something tangible can be brought home for review over and over again.

SwimStud
August 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
If you can get one tacked on to a big met like a Zones or something...I think you'd have a big crowd.

dorothyrde
August 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have attended clinics with the age group kids...which can be a bit odd for them and me. I would love a Master's clinic. Nadine and Chris run one every year in Bloomington in March and it is well received. It just comflicts with my daughter's district meet every year, so I never go. 3 more years and she is off to college though...

FlyQueen
August 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
HECK YEAH!!

Nathan
August 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Well then... awesome :)

I think we may have to look in putting on some clinics for some masters teams. Thanks!

Rykno
August 28th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Well then... awesome :)

I think we may have to look in putting on some clinics for some masters teams. Thanks!

Over here in Sweden one of the best known masters swimmers from Sweden Glen Christiansen along with others have put together 4 or 5 Masters clinics. each time being fully booked. each clinic has had a theme. the next one coming up in Sept will be starts and turns as well as speed and strength training.

the one in May/June was about distance swimming for all the Open water races during the summer.

it seems like most of the clinics held in Stockholm have been friday night to sunday afternoon, with 4 water sessions..

as soon as they over something a little farther south I will consider going.

swimshark
August 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I would love to attend a local one. So far I haven't seen any around here. Dennis Baker and Bert Peterson have both given ones that had huge turn outs.

aquageek
August 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I've been to two clinics - one by Kerry O'Brien, Rowdy Gaines and missed the Janet Evans one. They were well attended. Lots and lots of pool time is the key, along with a great workout. Kerry also did underwater video analysis, which was awesome. I tend to like clinics that are about 1/3 drills and tips and 2/3 arse kicking professional workout.

knelson
August 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
We don't have too many masters teams around here though, so we're not really sure of the landscape of the teams and such.

You might be surprised, Nathan. PNA (Pacific Northwest Aquatics) is the local masters organization representing Western Washington. PNA currently has over 1,300 members. There are training groups of various sizes sprinkled all over the Seattle metro area.

If you are planning a masters clinic in the area I'd recommend trying to run an ad in the Wet Set, which is PNA's monthly newsletter that gets mailed out to every member. Here's a link to the September issue: http://www.swimpna.org/pdf/newsletter/2008/2008_09wet.pdf

I think a clinic featuring Megan Jendrick would generate lots of interest. I second the motion on underwater videotaping. People love getting good feedback on their strokes and it's something most of us rarely get.

Nathan
August 28th, 2008, 04:15 PM
You might be surprised, Nathan. PNA (Pacific Northwest Aquatics) is the local masters organization representing Western Washington. PNA currently has over 1,300 members. There are training groups of various sizes sprinkled all over the Seattle metro area.

If you are planning a masters clinic in the area I'd recommend trying to run an ad in the Wet Set, which is PNA's monthly newsletter that gets mailed out to every member. Here's a link to the September issue: http://www.swimpna.org/pdf/newsletter/2008/2008_09wet.pdf

I think a clinic featuring Megan Jendrick would generate lots of interest. I second the motion on underwater videotaping. People love getting good feedback on their strokes and it's something most of us rarely get.

Wow, awesome! That's a strong community and very exciting info.

It's good that there's such positive feedback for underwater taping, too; we offer this at our age group camps so we would certainly do it at a masters event.

Thanks again!

Sooner
August 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I do not care for clinics as usually they are crowded, minimal personal attention and I can get enough feedback from my coaches and other swimmers at practice to suit me.

Allen Stark
August 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
If you give one in WA or OR I definitely want to be there!!!!!

Allen Stark
August 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
By the way,I just got the formal OK to do a Breaststroke clinic at NW Zones Nov.2 during the 1500(last event on last day) if any of you are going to that meet.(I feel silly mentioning this on the same thread as a possible clinic by Nathan and Megan.Megan could probably beat me with her left arm only.)

swimshark
August 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Allen, I would love to attend a clinic where you are the teacher. I only wish I lived there to do so.

Nathan, if you and Megan come out to VA, please let me know. I'd love to attend a clinic you all give as well.

coffeegirl
August 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Several of the Master swimmers on our team would jump at the chance to attend one of your clinics. My daughter is already signed up for Megan's clinic in October. I have been banished to the bleachers. It's okay to swim with mom at practice, but attend a clinic together-no way!

ViveBene
August 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Chicago has a lot of swimmers in a fairly compact area (considering Chicago is on the huge side to begin with). The Chicago Masters (University of Illinois at Chicago) pool might be a good place.

:agree:

BillS
August 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
By the way,I just got the formal OK to do a Breaststroke clinic at NW Zones Nov.2 during the 1500(last event on last day) if any of you are going to that meet.(I feel silly mentioning this on the same thread as a possible clinic by Nathan and Megan.Megan could probably beat me with her left arm only.)

I've been chiding myself for missing your clinic at Federal Way for over a year. I'm looking forward to this one, thanks!

EllenT
August 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
A bunch of our swimmers from the NW side of Chicago would attend if it was near Chicago--we're always looking for stroke help.

Nathan
August 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Is there a general consensus as to whether a all-stroke clinic is preferred or, say, a breaststroke-only focus?

pwolf66
August 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Might want to include a poll on that one. I would prefer one that had the potential for all 4 strokes with my preference being Free and Fly.

The Fortress
August 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Is there a general consensus as to whether a all-stroke clinic is preferred or, say, a breaststroke-only focus?

Personally, I'd rather go to a focused clinic that was purely technique based. (I don't need a workout at a clinic.) I'd prefer a local clinic (DC area, hint hint) with an emphasis on breaststroke or starts & turns. And how much can you learn at one clinic? 4 strokes might be a bit much to digest. More general clinics also attract a lot of triathletes. Love them, but don't want to do a swim clinic with them.

I can't believe I'm going to miss Allen's clinic again ... :shakeshead: Maybe Indy? No hope without it, for me.

mctrusty
August 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Breaststroke.

ViveBene
August 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM

I think I'm with Fortress on that one, but wouldn't it depend on amount of time? (I've never been to a swim clinic, so please excuse my uninformed questions.)

A short clinic should be stroke-specific.

If 50 people sign up for a 2-hour stroke specific-clinic, and you plan to look at technique individually, how does it work? Do you take a fresh batch of 10 or 20 every 2 hours?

Do those who have had their technique reviewed in the early part of the period swim around, then get bored and leave?

aquaFeisty
August 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
The clinics Dorothyhyde referred to have alternated on an annual basis between:
1. Long axis
2. Short axis
3. Starts and turns

I'm with Fortress, I'd rather have the clinic be very technique focussed with just enough hard swimming to stay warm (doing all drills can sometimes get chilly... especially when there is discussion between the drills). The Bloomington clinics usually sell out and attract swimmers from central IL and the Chicago area, about a 3 hour drive, so masters swimmers are certainly willing to travel a bit!

I think it's nice to tie a clinic to a meet, though I wouldn't want it tied to a 'big' (ie., shave and taper) meet because it is scary to change things up when you have put in the time to do a taper. Mid-season meets work well and there is usually the added bonus that having a clinic the day before the meet will boost attendance at the meet.

LonghornbackinTX
August 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I know I would love to attend some clinics. They have them around here, but most are geared towards triatheletes.

Nathan
September 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Sounds like a breaststroke clinic will be coming to the Seattle-area sometime in the not-so-distance future ;)

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

GGS5T
September 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
I run Europeís premier warm-weather training camp, attended by almost 100 masters swimmers. I have also organised and delivered swim clinics across Europe and Russia for masters swimmers.

I find that masters are the same wherever you go. They all need encouraging, most need stroke correction, some are happy just to be entertained! - but Iíve found the vast majority of them need help in coping with nerves before a race.

We cover, learning the value of Motor Imagery Training and how to effectively use mental rehearsal techniques. We go over race-day preparation and how to cope with, and control, pre-race nerves. Psychological toughness and how to ĎThink Like a Championíis probably the best attended class.

Iíve also noticed that triathletes are much keener to learn, and improve, than masters swimmers. Maybe thatís a subject for another thread?

(I'm also looking for a head coach position at a masters club in the States, if anyone is interested!)