PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day weekend swims - post here

ViveBene
August 29th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Anybody have great aquatic plans for Labor Day weekend? Should be spectacular in Chicago area - 3 days of warm, warm weather (come on up, Hoosier!) will be a good time to do long lake swims in preparation for Big Shoulders, next weekend. I'm going to try a 2-miler sometime over the next 3 days.

VB

SwimStud
August 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Swimming a 1.5 in Quassapaug Lake, CT this weekend!

ViveBene
August 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Totally wonderful! Is that in northwestern CT? In 1970 I visited a friend's summer home on a lake and went to a concert - Music Mountain? - a famous concert place, anyway. I liked the whole of it. Looked like a splendid place to live.

SwimStud
August 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Totally wonderful! Is that in northwestern CT? In 1970 I visited a friend's summer home on a lake and went to a concert - Music Mountain? - a famous concert place, anyway. I liked the whole of it. Looked like a splendid place to live.

I don't know VB. Candlewood lake is in Northern Fairfield county, which is west.

tjrpatt
August 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I decided to do the Atlantic City 1.5 Pageant Swim. It will be a good way to burn off the taper energy from last weekend's Zone Champs.

Michelina
August 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I dont know if tubing down the Delaware counts, but hey, I am sure there will be some swimming involved.

EllenT
August 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Planning on a Lake Michiagn swim myself since it will be the last time I can get in before Big Shoulders next weekend. I'll probably go Monday morning since I don't have to work!!! :banana:

VB when are you gonna take a dip?

ViveBene
August 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I'll probably hit the lake around 6:30 a.m. Saturday for a longish swim. Choice is between OSB and farther south, where I live. I'll probably pick the farther south option. Sunday and Monday I get to sleep in, swim at 7. :D

Planning on a Lake Michiagn swim myself since it will be the last time I can get in before Big Shoulders next weekend. I'll probably go Monday morning since I don't have to work!!! :banana:

VB when are you gonna take a dip?

elise526
August 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Friday - Coach my kid's team because the head coach is out of town.

Saturday- Slide into the pool with a cold drink when it gets too hot to be sitting out in the sun and discuss politics.

Sunday - Resume political discussion on steps of pool with another cold drink.

Monday - Play treasure hunt with my son and his friends by looking for coins on the bottom of the pool.

swimshark
August 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Stud, good luck!

chaos
August 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
saturday: 3 mile, 1.5 mile and .5 mile at lake quassapaug

sunday: 1 mile john daly (longbeach, ny)

monday: 20K (4x 5K at lake minnewaska)

SwimStud
August 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
saturday: 3 mile, 1.5 mile and .5 mile at lake quassapaug

sunday: 1 mile john daly (longbeach, ny)

monday: 20K (4x 5K at lake minnewaska)

tuesday: on the couch icing and taking NSAIDs

chaos
August 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM
tuesday: on the couch icing and taking NSAIDs

i won't wait 'till tuesday.

pwolf66
August 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Don't you people have work to do??????

Says he who thinks yon clock is broken.

LonghornbackinTX
August 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately, none.

Pool is closed and with all the crazy boaters on Monday, I will be steering clear of the local lakes (it does not help that they are WAY down due to lack of rain and they are pretty yucky cause of it). But I will be back on Tuesday, gangbusters.

ViveBene
August 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Picture on this site:
http://www.qsailingcenter.org/openwaterswimming.html

ViveBene
August 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Did 1.8 miles this a.m., the longest continuous swim I've done. Once I get it up to 3 miles I can plan some adventure travel!

Brain was a bit woozy toward the end, although the lake was smooth as silk.

The breakfast of Phelps is mine! I earned it!
:applaud:

tjrpatt
August 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Got done the Pageant 1.5 Mile Ocean Swim in Atlantic City, NJ. This swim has been going on since the 1920s. I got 17th overall and 2nd in the 30-39 age group. I came in about 27 minutes, I think. I am just glad to finish it. Man, those waves were rough. I am glad that I got up and went this morning. I didn't like the 1.5 mile walk back to my car though. It was a good way to relieve excess taper energy left over from the Zone Champs last weekend. Now, I can pass out.

knelson
August 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I hadn't planned on it, but ended up doing the 5K postal this morning!

SwimStud
August 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Back from my swim. Met the gang. Had a great race and shaved off 3-4 mins on 1.5 miles!

ViveBene
August 30th, 2008, 04:54 PM
:bouncing:

This is turning into an Attaboy / Attagirl thread!

Congrats to the swimmers!

tjrpatt
August 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Back from my swim. Met the gang. Had a great race and shaved off 3-4 mins on 1.5 miles!

SwimStud,
Good job. Where was your swim this morning? 3-4 mins is a very studly drop.

SwimStud
August 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
SwimStud,
Good job. Where was your swim this morning? 3-4 mins is a very studly drop.

Thanks!
Lake Quassapaug in CT. Nice day if you like OW.
http://www.qsailingcenter.org/openwaterswimming.html (http://www.qsailingcenter.org/openwaterswimming.html)

tjrpatt
August 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks!
Lake Quassapaug in CT. Nice day if you like OW.
http://www.qsailingcenter.org/openwaterswimming.html (http://www.qsailingcenter.org/openwaterswimming.html)

Cool. A nice flat water swim. I wish that the ocean was flat this morning.

Swimmy
August 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I was debating about doing the AC swim. So was it really rough....against the current?

tjrpatt
August 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I was debating about doing the AC swim. So was it really rough....against the current?

I guess that it wasn't too bad but I just need to do a flat water swim one of these days. The mile and a half walk back to the cars was brutal. The temperature was really nice today. In the end, I am glad that I went through with it. I haven't been to AC in ages and the city is really turning around. If you want a challenge, do the AC one next year. I just wish that I was able to do a few more Ocean swims this summer. I know that Ocean City MD has one in the end of September.

Swimmy
August 31st, 2008, 06:13 AM
I did OC and Wildwood in July. What swim is in OC in September? I know there is a bay swim in Wildwood, but I do not know about an ocean swim in OC.

tjrpatt
August 31st, 2008, 08:20 AM
I did OC and Wildwood in July. What swim is in OC in September? I know there is a bay swim in Wildwood, but I do not know about an ocean swim in OC.

There is one in Ocean City MD but I haven't found a link for it yet.

Swimmy
August 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM
There used to be a Sunfest swim in OC, but a few years ago they cancelled and they have not had it anymore that I know of. That is probably why you can't find a website.

mctrusty
August 31st, 2008, 09:36 AM
My wife and I hiked Mt. Bierstadt (14,060') yesterday with some friends. I know it's not a swim, but it was 5.5 hours of very scenic cross training.