PDA

View Full Version : Should I start a swimming blog?

JimRude
August 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
After a 20+ year lay-off I started swimming again in the spring of 2007. I was a decent D-I college swimmer from 1982-1986, and in the interim I got fat, ran marathons, and road cycled, in no particular order.

Since resuming swimming, I have continued my old habit of recording my workouts, weight, etc quite rigorously.

This summer at LCM Nationals I came very close to my (unrealistic) goals in my two main events, the 50 and 100 breast.

Next summer I will have aged up to the 45-49 age group, and I hope to give Mr. Guthrie a run for his money (haha).

My question:

Should I start a swimming blog? Is anyone interested in reading about the training of a sprint breastroker (30.4 and 1:08. LCM this summer)?

If so, should I create it on a special site, or here at the forums like Ande has done?

What type of information would readers find interesting - just workout sets, or also detailed times, diet, moods, etc?

FYI, I train alone, typically during the lunch hour, either in an indoor 25m pool or (during the summer) in an outdoor 48y pool (that's no typo).

Fire away!

pwolf66
August 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I would definately be interested in seeing your training, thoughts, techniques, etc. I love reading other folks blogs as it helps to give me ideas or reinforce something that I am trying to work on.

On another note: I have GOT to do a better job of chasing down forumites at meets. A chance to meet you and introduce myself missed.

Lump
August 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Jim,
First off welcome back! I'm a former D1 swimmer as well and just started back. Keeping a blog for me was the best solution to keeping thoughts, workouts, etc. in one place. I'm too lazy to keep writing it all in a log book and keeping track of it. With the blog I can work on it from home or at work (when there is time). Here is a link to my blog. It took me about two hours to get it all set up. Have fun and again WELCOME BACK!

http://jeffpalm-swimming.blogspot.com/

The Fortress
August 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM
After a 20+ year lay-off I started swimming again in the spring of 2007. I was a decent D-I college swimmer from 1982-1986, and in the interim I got fat, ran marathons, and road cycled, in no particular order.

Since resuming swimming, I have continued my old habit of recording my workouts, weight, etc quite rigorously.

This summer at LCM Nationals I came very close to my (unrealistic) goals in my two main events, the 50 and 100 breast.

Next summer I will have aged up to the 45-49 age group, and I hope to give Mr. Guthrie a run for his money (haha).

My question:

Should I start a swimming blog? Is anyone interested in reading about the training of a sprint breastroker (30.4 and 1:08. LCM this summer)?

If so, should I create it on a special site, or here at the forums like Ande has done?

What type of information would readers find interesting - just workout sets, or also detailed times, diet, moods, etc?

FYI, I train alone, typically during the lunch hour, either in an indoor 25m pool or (during the summer) in an outdoor 48y pool (that's no typo).

Fire away!

Yes. Put everything in, more interesting that way. I just hope you do something other than evilstroke!

CreamPuff
September 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Jim,
First off welcome back! I'm a former D1 swimmer as well and just started back. Keeping a blog for me was the best solution to keeping thoughts, workouts, etc. in one place. I'm too lazy to keep writing it all in a log book and keeping track of it. With the blog I can work on it from home or at work (when there is time). Here is a link to my blog. It took me about two hours to get it all set up. Have fun and again WELCOME BACK!

http://jeffpalm-swimming.blogspot.com/

Crazyy! We must have just missed eachother totally. I too swam for Dynamo and Northlake Aquatic Club - later Gwinnett Aquatics in the 80s and very early 90s. Knew of Alex B. (did NOT train with him as I was too slow and unmotivated!) and Eric Wunderlich, Maryellen, etc. I don't recognize you from your pic but your name sort of sounds familiar. I do remember Jeff Vance and Chris Schook or something like that. Went to zones with Clay Tippens from Swim Atlanta and went to Junior Nats with some of the Dyna folk. Ah well. I'm too old to remember well anymore. Welcome back. I swim at Swim Atlanta now.