PDA

View Full Version : Mask and snorkel

Frank Ott
August 31st, 2008, 09:01 AM
I've decided to take the leap. After multiple injuries from running, I've decided swimming is my future. I think I'm a decent swimmer. I hit the pool about 8 times so far, and was able to swim 40 minutes non-stop, however I was using a mask and snorkel. It's something I've seen a Marine Force Recon member doing, and he swore by it.
My goal right now is pure fittness and weight lose. I'm wondering what the thinking is on the mask and snorkel vs. traditional breathing method.

Rob Copeland
August 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Since your goal is pure fitness and weight lose stick with the mask and snorkel. If you want to become a better swimmer, then you should learn to breathe without the snorkel.

pwolf66
August 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Frank,

If using a mask and snorkel are what it takes to get you in the pool, then that's great. The limitations with using those are:

1) Head position tends to ride a little higher to prevent mask from losing seal
2) Pacing is slower due to mask issues and volume of air that can be gained thru a snorkel.

I use a Finis swim snorkel as part of my training and when I use it, I have to make sure I keep a nice medium pace as I will find myself short on air if I try to go too fast.

But as Rob mentioned, it's all about your goals. But I would recommend that you swap out the mask for goggles and ditch the snorkel once you feel you are in decent swim shape. This will allow you increase the tempo you swim without worrying about losing the mask or running short on air.

Allen Stark
September 1st, 2008, 01:09 AM
Definitely go with goggles.The drag is less and you can hold your head in neutral position(relaxed,looking down.)A standard snorkel is going to increase drag and make turning harder,if you don't care about that,no big deal.I like the center mount snorkel(Finis is the main manufacturer) for warm up/cool down as I find I get less stress on my shoulders with it.Turning with one takes some practice though.

fanstone
September 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
For me the great utility of snorkels (with mask or with goggles) is to do leg drills better. I lose less time and effort trying grab a breath while using the snorkels.