PDA

View Full Version : 2010 LCM Nationals

Doug Adamavich
September 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Lots of heat on 2010 Long Course Nationals. Why don't we have a separate thread for this subject...

POOF!!!

Looks like Puerto Rico and Michigan have submitted bids for this meet.

Let the games begin!

...or continue :-)

SwimTotoSwim
September 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
You might check with Championship committee, as not sure about Michigan's bid.

We might have Puerto Rico or no nationals at all ?

Doug Adamavich
September 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
You might check with Championship committee, as not sure about Michigan's bid.

We might have Puerto Rico or no nationals at all ?

Really? I thought that the UM-Ann Arbor bid was in?

Can anybody confirm this?

If so, that is too bad because there should be at least two venues vying for a given Nationals. It's not much of a process when only one bids.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Donna
September 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
From those of us waiting on Hanna, Ike and Josephine to hit, can you say Hurricane Season!

elise526
September 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'd rather go to Alaska than PR during August. How are the LC pools up that way? Also, seems like the east coast will be way past due on getting to host LC Nationals.

Animal
September 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I would rather go to PR than UM. I was to swim in 2005 the OW 10K championship was it was put off by a week or more due to a hurricane. So, I could not go. Having a national championship during hurricane season should be considered a factor in awarding it. The amount of work that goes into hosting a National Championship is huge, so the number of bids is always going to be low.

WPSWIMS
September 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Remember Savannah! I can not remember the name but it was a challenge driving from Atlanta after work!

Doug Adamavich
September 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Does anybody know if Michigan submitted their bid for 2010 Nationals? I have not read my Convention packet yet (shame on me) but want to know what the latest is on this bid.

For the record, I am planning on going to LCM Nationals in 2010 no matter which venue is selected. If UM-Ann Arbor and PR are our choices we will be fortunate indeed.

Thanks in advance for any updates.

See you in Hotlanta!

tjrpatt
September 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Michigan would be fine by me. It is in the mid west but If I could get a flight out there, I can at least drive there. It is probably almost 10 hours from Philly. I really like my road trips.

Has anyone thought about having LCM Nationals in Buffalo. They have some fast pools there! I have done a ton of meets at the University At Buffalo and they had this great pool in downtown Buffalo. Of course, I don't about the parking situation there.

Doug Adamavich
September 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
It's official, San Juan, PR will host 2010 LCM Nationals.

knelson
September 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My plan right now is to go to Sweden for Worlds in 2010. I've never been out of the country for a meet before and Sweden sounds like a fun place to visit.

pwolf66
September 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Kirk,

I am leaning that way also. But my spouse is not quite as enthused. But there's still 22 months left to convince her.

mjgold
September 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
My girlfriend is jealous enough as it is that I plan on going to Sydney for the World Games. She did a semester abroad in Sydney and loved it, but she'll be in her first year teaching, and I think taking 10 days off a month after you start is frowned upon. She might come to Sweden though if I get to go.

Rykno
September 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
My plan right now is to go to Sweden for Worlds in 2010. I've never been out of the country for a meet before and Sweden sounds like a fun place to visit.

It is! Gothenborg (Göteborg) has a little of everything Sweden has to offer. and it's not too far from Stockholm or Copenhagen, Denmark. you can drive or take the train. You can even fly....

I moved over in 2001 and have no regrets.

knelson
September 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, there are direct flights from Seattle to Copenhagen, so I'd most likely fly there. Looking at the map it seems that it would be easy to travel around Sweden as well as Denmark and Norway from Gothenburg.

Rykno
October 1st, 2008, 03:54 AM
There is a train station in the basement of the copenhagen airport. you can take a train over to Sweden and then continue up to Gothenberg.

We almost never drive over the bridge when we go to Copenhagen, it's so much easier for us to park on the sweden side and take the train to the city center.

David E. Morrill
December 31st, 2008, 10:57 AM
God know's I'm for innovation... :cheerleader: I found Michigan's link <LMSC link> here on the USMS site... :banana: but I can't find Puerto Rico's link... where did it go...??!! :cool:

Pueeeeerto Riiiicooooo link... where arrrrreee youuuu....? :bed:

Allen Stark
April 15th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Does anyone know the days yet for this meet?

barryf
April 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
From the 2009 Rule Book, Appendix C:

2010 USMS Long Course Meters Championships
Dates: August 9-12

Allen Stark
April 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks

JimRude
April 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
You literally could not pay me to travel to PR to swim. Looks like I'll have to find a decent "continental US" meet to taper for. Any suggestions?

Allen Stark
June 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM

I just looked at my 2010 calendar and Aug 9-12 is Mon-Thurs,is that right.Also I talked to Graham Johnson at Fresno Nats and he said he swam at that pool and it was great,but hotel space was at a premium and not very close to the pool.He said getting a room now was not too soon.Anyone with more info?

tjrpatt
June 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM
It looks I will taper for a USA-S meet next summer or something. If you have to book a room, now then forget about it.

JimRude
June 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I will not travel to the third world to swim an outdoor meet during hurricane season :bolt:

Taper meet will be Gil Young Memorial, Santa Clara Grand Prix, or Pacific Masters Champs in CA.

Glenn
June 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Allen,

Yes, Monday to Thursday is correct. The idea was that after the meet people would have the weekend to do San Juan and the rest of the island.

Muppet
June 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I will not travel to the third world to swim an outdoor meet during hurricane season :bolt:

Excuse me, but Puerto Rico is America.

Betsy
June 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
I am looking forward to the meet in Puerto Rico. The people who went to Pan Ams over Labor Day weekend (2007, I think) had a wonderful time. The pool is outdoors, but is covered. They reported that there was always a breeze. My family spent Christmas in San Juan last year. I visited the pool, but did not get to swim because college teams were there for a week of training. I found the island to be beautiful and the people exceptionally friendly. Driving was my only concern; I was very happy to turn in our car with no dings or scratches. Our granddaughter was with us at Christmas. She will turn 18 next April and plans to enter her first Masters meet, 2010 LCM Nationals!

JimRude
June 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Excuse me, but Puerto Rico is America.

There are a good number of "places" in the world governed by the US which I, IMHO, consider the third world...

DeletedAccount
July 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
San Juan, PR sounds great to me. Even in August. You can't beat a tropical island for a swim meet. I am wondering if there are any good open water locations/opportunities in the area as well?

I am guessing this is the host pool venue? http://www.sanjuannatatorium.org/

As a relative rookie to this sport and having only done two OW events thus far, I have only recently considered racing in a pool. Not sure yet if I could even qualify for LC Nationals qualifying times but this event and venue looks like a very fun trip. The Masters team I will be training with next year is planning on heading down.

And my birthday is Aug. 11th. I'll keep swimming and see what happens...