PDA

View Full Version : 2009 SCY Nationals in Fresno (Clovis)

Doug Adamavich
September 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just for consistency, I have created a thread regarding the 2009 SCY Nationals in Fresno.

Post your comments on this thread...

jim clemmons
September 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Just for consistency, I have created a thread regarding the 2009 SCY Nationals in Fresno.

Post your comments on this thread...

Why fly if you can drive? About a third (maybe up to a half?) of USMS could drive to Clovis if they prefer to. Can't drive to Puerto Rico...:drown:

Doug Adamavich
September 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Why fly if you can drive? About a third (maybe up to a half?) of USMS could drive to Clovis if they prefer to.

This will make for a MASSIVE meet. Between SPMA, Pacific, SI, and COMSA you have over 16,000 members so your calculations are right-on. AZ will send a good-sized group too but I think they will be flying.

SLOmmafan
September 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Who is actually hosting the CLovis meet? What club? I'm going to assume it is the master's portion of the Clovis Swim Club. Clovis has good experiece putting on major age group meets (Wetern Zones, Junior Nationals, etc). I would assume they might host a well organized Master's Nationals. I don't really know about the overall presense of Master's swimmers within the Central California region, but there will be very large contingents of swimmers from So and Nor Cal.

jim clemmons
September 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Who is actually hosting the CLovis meet? What club? I'm going to assume it is the master's portion of the Clovis Swim Club. Clovis has good experiece putting on major age group meets (Wetern Zones, Junior Nationals, etc). I would assume they might host a well organized Master's Nationals. I don't really know about the overall presense of Master's swimmers within the Central California region, but there will be very large contingents of swimmers from So and Nor Cal.

Not sure if this is the same group or not but they're hosting a "warm up" in November - Clovis Swim Club and Fig Garden Masters.

Here's the meet sheet: http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/08closcy.pdf

Michelina
October 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Order of Events:

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/events.php

Ahelee Sue Osborn
November 1st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Anyone know which of the hotels listed is the event's "host hotel" yet?

http://www.fresnocvb-housing.org/events.php?id=39

david.margrave
November 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
NQTs seem easier this year at least in my age group. I actually qualify in 4 events as opposed to zero for 2008 SCY nationals.

pwolf66
November 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
NQTs seem easier this year at least in my age group. I actually qualify in 4 events as opposed to zero for 2008 SCY nationals.

The QTs for 50/100 distances in all age groups are using a +15% offset instead of the previous +10%. It's still +10% for 200s and longer.

Chris Stevenson
November 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Saw on Facebook that Mel Stewart is planning on going to Clovis. That would be cool.

JimRude
November 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Saw on Facebook that Mel Stewart is planning on going to Clovis. That would be cool.

Probably just to interview folks for GMM...

Chris Stevenson
November 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Probably just to interview folks for GMM...

Maybe. The quote on the video was "my wife and I joined up (ie USMS) and we'll be going to Clovis."

Of course, this video was to announce a USMS clinic featuring Rowdy et al, so he could have been trying to drum up business for that.

JimRude
November 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe. The quote on the video was "my wife and I joined up (ie USMS) and we'll be going to Clovis."

Of course, this video was to announce a USMS clinic featuring Rowdy et al, so he could have been trying to drum up business for that.

How 'bout you, are you going to make the trek to lovely Fresno?

I can remember as a kid swimming the "Fig Garden Invitational" many years in a row.

Chris Stevenson
November 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
How 'bout you, are you going to make the trek to lovely Fresno?

Planning on it, yes.

tjrpatt
November 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Shut up! Mel Stewart was one of my swimming idols growing up due to the 200 fly being one of my top events. I might have to find a way to go to Fresno this year to meet the 200 fly legend.

pwolf66
November 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
God help me, I swore I was not going to go to SCY Nats but I now find myself scoping out flights to see if there is someway that I can make it work. Nothing like saying to yourself 'Hmm, the red eye isn't soooo bad' :doh:

FlyQueen
November 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM

And the lovely addiction that is facebook comes in handy once again ... aren't you glad you joined?

He's a maybe for the Chicago meet ...

imspoiled
November 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
And the lovely addiction that is facebook comes in handy once again ... aren't you glad you joined?

He's a maybe for the Chicago meet ...

Really? That would be so cool!

Chris Stevenson
November 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Not sure I'll ever forgive you. :)

FlyQueen
November 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Not sure I'll ever forgive you. :)

You know you love it! It's not like it was a hard sell ...

Kurt Dickson
November 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I haven't been to Fresno in awhile; is it still the graffiti capital of the world?:)

ourswimmer
November 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Some of us visited the place yesterday for a small meet. It's a nice facility. Typical May weather in the Fresno area is beautiful (the crazy heat and bad air are mostly July to October phenomena), so as long as you take care to avoid sunburn you should enjoy yourselves a lot.

I didn't rest at all for the meet because to me it was primarily a reconnaissance mission. My times reflected that approach. But a few of my teammates had great days. Go Manatees!

:cheerleader:

swim25
November 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hey!, I swim with Clovis and Fig Garden and we had an awesome meet this weekend, any of you make it out?

jim clemmons
November 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hey!, I swim with Clovis and Fig Garden and we had an awesome meet this weekend, any of you make it out?

Absolutely - it's a great pool and facility. Had some good swims, too.

EllenT
November 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
OK Flyqueen--which Chicago meet? Us Facebook idiots want to know!

I also noticed that qualifying times were much easier in my age group--really surprised me as I thought they'd be tougher.

ViveBene
November 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
OK Flyqueen--which Chicago meet? Us Facebook idiots want to know!

I also noticed that qualifying times were much easier in my age group--really surprised me as I thought they'd be tougher.

Would that be explained by Paul Wolf's comment in post 9 above: 15% offset instead of 10% for some distances?

Is a Gray Sharks contingent going? That should be fun.
:)

SLOmmafan
November 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Is it correct you don't have to get a qualified time for the first 3 events you swim? I come from a high school/college swimming mind set - so, I do not generally swim more than 1 (perhaps two) individual events per day anyhow.

The qualifying times seem quick, but not out of reach for a swimmer in good shape. Do they just let you do the 3 events without a time for larger attendence?

pwolf66
November 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, you can swim any 3 events just by being a registered USMS swimmer. To swim events 4-6, you are _supposed_ to meet the qualifying times for your age group for each of the bonus events.

knelson
November 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Do they just let you do the 3 events without a time for larger attendence?

I think the idea is inclusiveness. Anyone who wants to swim at Nationals can swim at Nationals with this policy.

EllenT
December 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Would that be explained by Paul Wolf's comment in post 9 above: 15% offset instead of 10% for some distances?

Is a Gray Sharks contingent going? That should be fun.
:)

Hey there! No, we're not going to SCY Nationals, but will be attending LCM Nationals in Indiana in August. For 99.9% of us, it will be our first USMS National event. A few of us swam at Y Masters Nationals last year and we have 1 swimmer who has swum at a few USMS National meets before. We're looking forward to it!:bliss:

Ahelee Sue Osborn
December 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Rob Butcher was in Southern California this past week to visit masters swim coaches and the Long Beach SCM Champs.

He sent this note after he returned home:

"Thought you might want to see the 4-minute promotional video for Clovis that can be shared with your team;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6kH5SpO4HU "

Maybe show it or consider putting something together for your team's holiday party.

Ahelee

Chris Stevenson
December 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Nice video. I also liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y33xciotvLs

ehoch
December 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Looks like our Mel Stewart is going to swim Nationals -- anybody know what age group he is ? Maybe I can convince Gross to come for a 200 FLy showdown...

Ahelee Sue Osborn
December 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Looks like our Mel Stewart is going to swim Nationals -- anybody know what age group he is ? Maybe I can convince Gross to come for a 200 FLy showdown...

Erik -

Mel was born, November 16, 1968

Hope you can make that matchup happen!

It would be terrific to see The Albatross again :)

pwb
December 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM

You do that and I think many/all of the people who naysay about Clovis will be booking flights to Fresno.

some_girl
December 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You do that and I think many/all of the people who naysay about Clovis will be booking flights to Fresno.

Your optimism is cute.

JimRude
December 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM

While you're at it, see if you can get Fahrner and Gerald Moerken...

ehoch
December 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Well - I think, I will have to do holding the German flag. Not sure about that 200 Fly - I am trying to become a sprinter.

Kurt Dickson
December 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I hear Heinrich Himmler and Hermann Göring will be at Clovis--not sure which age group.

JimRude
December 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I hear Heinrich Himmler and Hermann Göring will be at Clovis--not sure which age group.

Such comments will likely not be appreciated by the Germans among us (and I'm Dutch, so always up for a good joke about 'em).

Kurt Dickson
December 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Apologies--just seeing if anybody was awake out there.:)

pwolf66
December 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Well - I think, I will have to do holding the German flag. Not sure about that 200 Fly - I am trying to become a sprinter.

Um, you went 50.8 in the 100 Free SCM, so when exactly do you know when you _become_ a sprinter???? :bow:

ehoch
December 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Kurt - apology is NOT accepted -- I will leave it at that.

ehoch
December 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Um, you went 50.8 in the 100 Free SCM, so when exactly do you know when you _become_ a sprinter????

You know you become a sprinter when you would not even dream about starting the meet with a 400 IM. I am not there yet - but I am young ....

nevergivin
December 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/3014567781_9f136989ca.jpg?v=1226222239
Pic from recent meet, awesome facility, two huge pools, spectator areas will be cramped though!

pwolf66
December 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
You know you become a sprinter when you would not even dream about starting the meet with a 400 IM. I am not there yet - but I am young ....

Well if that's your criteria then I guess I am a sprinter, or to paraphrase someone's tag line 'I swim short races' cause

SLOmmafan
December 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
What is the estimate on attendance at this meet? There are very few pools set up with truly adequate spectator area for a crowd numbering close to 2000. At least most of the crowd will be people swimming the meet, not filled with parents (non-swimmers) like an age group meet. The facility (pool) itself is very large and should be able to comfortably hold a large contingent of swimmers.

Fresnoid
January 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
What is the estimate on attendance at this meet? There are very few pools set up with truly adequate spectator area for a crowd numbering close to 2000. At least most of the crowd will be people swimming the meet, not filled with parents (non-swimmers) like an age group meet. The facility (pool) itself is very large and should be able to comfortably hold a large contingent of swimmers.

Bleacher seating is not likely to accommodate everyone, however, there is plenty of room just outside the fences for people to set up portable chairs, awnings, etc.

Last year's SCY Nationals had 1800+ entrants. I assume there will be more this year simply due to the number of masters swimmers just in California. Up to 24 lanes will be running at one time to keep the meet on track. That still leaves 8 warm up lanes.

I'm not part of the meet management team, but I do train with Clovis Masters. If people have other questions, post them here and I will try to answer.

knelson
January 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Last year's SCY Nationals had 1800+ entrants. I assume there will be more this year simply due to the number of masters swimmers just in California.

Maybe, maybe not. Based on the interest level on this forum it seems like fewer people will attend this year. Certainly far fewer from the eastern half of the country. However, the increase in Californian swimmers couldn't certainly offset that. It's been a long time since SC Nationals were held in California. I'd still put my money on it having a slightly lower attendance than last year.

Doug Adamavich
January 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Based on the interest level on this forum it seems like fewer people will attend this year. Certainly far fewer from the eastern half of the country. However, the increase in Californian swimmers couldn't certainly offset that. It's been a long time since SC Nationals were held in California. I'd still put my money on it having a slightly lower attendance than last year.

I think Clovis will be a large meet, simply because you have two of the largest LMSCs within driving distance. If you include SI, you have somewhere north of 14,000 USMS members in California and Nevada alone. My guess is that COMSA will send a large team as well. AZ will send about fifty if my estimations are correct, so I think this will be a well-attended meet just from those of us in the SW USA.

It would not surprise me if PNA and OMS send large contingents too :)

If the past is any guide, California-hosted USMS National Meets are large. This should not be an exception.

That said, I'm going to Indy to (finally) swim in the IUPUI pool. Good luck to all swimmers at Fresno and to the organizers :applaud:

SLOmmafan
January 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Based on looking at the results for the past few years SCY Nationals, it looks like some really fast swimmers come out of "retirement" for these meets. I have not been to too many masters competitions, but the kind of times put up at Nationals does not reflect the average times I see out at the "everyday-type meet". Noticed a few ex-Olympians and quality NCAA swimmers names on the results list, and even the older guys (and gals) where putting up some serious times.

If SoCal comes to Clovis in force this should be a fast meet! And big I suppose.

knelson
January 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Well, I've got my hotel room reserved now just in case things fill up! I'm staying at the La Quinta.

Speedo
January 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Well, I've got my hotel room reserved now just in case things fill up! I'm staying at the La Quinta.
I reserved one there too- it even has it's own SSSSSCY pool. It's a shuttle stop too, which is nice.

freestyle94
January 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Order of Events:

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/events.php

Anyone know when the meet information and sign up will be available online? I know it was in USMS Swimmer last edition.

Online is so easy!

matysekj
January 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Online entry will be available next week.

freestyle94
January 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Online entry will be available next week.

Thanks Jim. How fun.

Fresnoid
January 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
For the best rates, use this link to book your hotel rooms:http://www.fresnocvb-housing.org/events.php?id=39

380 rooms have been reserved so far through the official link.

SLOmmafan
January 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I am surprised that a number of hotels are already sold out - no doubt some people planning on traveling to this meet. Lucky for me my in-laws live 15 minutes south of Fresno, so my accommodations have been "pre-arranged".

jim clemmons
January 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
For the best rates, use this link to book your hotel rooms:http://www.fresnocvb-housing.org/events.php?id=39

380 rooms have been reserved so far through the official link.

Thanks 'Noid. I grabbed 5 at the Rodeway which is on the shuttle route for 85 bucks per. What a deal. :applaud:

I'd been meaning to do so much earlier and keep getting waylaid.

freestyle94
February 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Howdy Clovis Folk and Pacific Masters...

Keep hearing that the pool is great and those of use from the Midwest can't wait to be outside again.

Can any of you weigh in on the local goodies though? Restaurants, Eats, things to do...etc. I can see the travel guide recommendations all over the web. But it'd be fun to hear from some of you locals so we don't miss something fun.

Best!

SLOmmafan
February 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It will be a tad late, but the blossom trail (a local attraction that showcases all the stone fruit trees in the region) is interesting if you enjoy nature and/or agricultural production. Fresno has really grown in the past few years, so it now has the majority of the "big city" chain eateries (Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang's, California Pizza Kitchen, Hooter's??) as well as shopping/stores. Some of the prominent shopping areas will be Fig Garden Village (off Shaw I believe), Riverpark (on Blackstone past Herndon) and Fashion Fair Mall (Blackstone and Shaw).

If you are looking for more "cultural" or "historical" places to visit, downtown Fresno has a recently renovated museum (The Met) and some attractions surrounding that area. Also we have a local AAA Baseball club (The Grizzlies) that might or might not have games in town at that time. It is also a short drive up to various National parks and lakes.

Speedo
March 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Nice prices right now on flights so I just got a roundtrip. Washington-Dulles to Fresno for 356 w/taxes and fees. Doesn't look like it's going to be as expensive as I thought. :applaud:

Fresnoid
March 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
According to Farecompare.com, recent prices to Fresno go as low as:

1: Las Vegas $119

2: San Diego $178

3: Los Angeles $185

4: Portland $222

5: Seattle $232

6: Charlotte $255

7: Denver $265

8: Milwaukee $269

9: Minneapolis-St P...$274

10: Miami $289

11: Fort Lauderdale $290

12: Memphis $306

13: Houston $315

14: Newark $316

15: St Louis $316

16: New York $316

17: Chicago $316

18: Washington $316

19: Boston $316

20: Hartford $316

21: New Orleans $316

22: Raleigh-Durham $319

23: Baltimore $320

24: Pittsburgh $320

25: Detroit $320

26: Orlando $320

27: Kansas City $320

28: Tampa $320

29: Cleveland $326

greenpeas
March 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Cheap flights!!!!:bliss:

What is the temp. around this time of year?
Should we bring lawn chairs or just buy there in CA?

Fresnoid
March 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Cheap flights!!!!:bliss:

What is the temp. around this time of year?
Should we bring lawn chairs or just buy there in CA?

The average hi/lo in May is 84/51 with almost no chance of rain. A lawn chair seems awfully bulky to fly with. It may be cheaper to buy here than what airlines are charging for a piece of checked luggage.

coachvlad
March 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Guys!
Is it outdoor pool?:confused:

knelson
March 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM
It's outdoors, Vlad. There's a small photo of the facility here:
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats09/

Fresnoid
March 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
More photos can been seen here: http://www.scnationals2009.com/Home/photos

2 50 meter outdoor pools.

pwolf66
March 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone know if they're going to be using reaction time pads? They were used at Portland but were not included in the results.

And LOVE all the trees. Oh wait.......

knelson
March 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM

We'll have the mighty oak (you) and the giant redwood (Paul Smith) on deck. What do we need any other trees for?

pwolf66
March 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry, but I'll be blocking considerably less light at this years Nats than last years.

Muppet
March 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM

I heard they used to have a lot of large trees, but something happened and the big trees fell hard.

Fresnoid
March 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Anyone know if they're going to be using reaction time pads? They were used at Portland but were not included in the results.

No, reaction pads will not be used. We do not have enough for 2 competition courses.

Regarding trees, the area was open pastures and farmland before the school was built. I circled in white where the pools are now located.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/Keithj3/ClovisNorth.jpg

http://tileprint.web.mapquest.com/tileprint.php?size=650,600&scale=4700&type=hyb&center=36.892352,-119.734824&key=mjtd%7Clu6t250ynq%2Cbl%3Do5-h625&stops=A,36.8895,-119.7559,0,0%7C&&&&&rand=3520

SLOmmafan
March 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I know a number of towns around the Valley either building or that have built new pools in the last 3-5 years. The pools themselves are good quality and a great update of existing facilities that date back 30 or 40 years plus. But shade is an issue that seems to rarely be addressed - odd for an area in which summer temps generally get above 100!

freestyle94
March 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hi there, Fresnoid...back a few years in Coral Springs the host club offered reserved shade in good viewing seats for a price. We loved that. Our club picked up a block of reserved shaded bleachers for like $200. Any chance Clovis Swim Team will offer the same?? We'd bite.

Crazyman
April 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
registered for Nats (my first time ever). Planning to drive by car down from Seattle with overnite stop in mid way.

mpmartin
April 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Crazyman,

Good Luck! You'll have a great time. Going to Nationals can be addictive!

barryf
May 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
You will be able to wear those high-tech suits in Clovis. FINA's new list of approved suits will be out at the end of May. See Craig Lord's article at:

http://www.swimnews.com/News/view/6840