PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Competition Pool

ddunbar
September 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Looking at all the discussion about where to host Nationals, I thought I would start a thread on your favorite or unusual pools that you have competed in.

There was a 50 meter pool in San Antonio Texas at the Lone Star Brewery. I believe it was spring fed and was surrounded on three sides by a pond. The meets used to be a favorite with the parents, because brewery tours and samples were available. It did not have much shade around the deck, but was a fast pool. Unfortunately it was closed when Stroh's bought Lone Star and moved the brewing operations.

The brewery is going to be redeveloped with with shopping, lofts, a health facility, and they are going to reopen the pool and beer garden area.

JimRude
September 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Probably a tie between the Santa Clara Swim Center, UT Austin's pool (SCY) and Belmont Plaza.

Doug Adamavich
September 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Once the University of Minnesota opened their new pool, it became my favorite. Cook Hall was a DUMP and I always hated swimming there! The new Natatorium opened in 1990 and was an instant hit. My college swam against the U every year and we also had the Gopher State Invite every December. The MIAC Conference Meet has been held there several times too.

Of course, 1999 Long Course Nationals was there as well. That was my first Masters Nationals and five of my six swims were very good.

Swam some fast times there for sure and thought the facility was top-notch. Have good memories of the place.

tjrpatt
September 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I have to say that UMD College Park is my new favorite competition pool.

My favorite pools from my age group days are GCIT in South Jersey.

ddunbar
September 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Current favorite competition pool is at UT. They finished the thing and let us in it during the spring of my freshman year in 77. The team trained in Gregory Gym in a 33 yrd pool prior to that.

Did not get to compete in the pool while I was in college, I retired after my freshman year. Did swim in there at the SCY Nationals and Zones.

gobears
September 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I have a top 5 favorite list:

1. Indianapolis (best college times at that pool)
2. Austin (final non-masters competition was there)
3. East Los Angeles College (scary area but fast short course pool back in the day, can't believe a short course Nationals was held there...)
4. Belmont Plaza (great high-school relay meets and Q-meets)
5. Speiker Aquatic Center (Cal--for purely sentimental reasons).

JimRude
September 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM

1. Indianapolis (best college times at that pool)
2. Austin (final non-masters competition was there)
3. East Los Angeles College (scary area but fast short course pool back in the day, can't believe a short course Nationals was held there...)
4. Belmont Plaza (great high-school relay meets and Q-meets)
5. Speiker Aquatic Center (Cal--for purely sentimental reasons).

Amy - right on, I forgot East LA College - swam several great races there (Pac 10's)!

Lump
September 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hall of Fame Pool in Ft. Lauderdale
University of Alabama (even though its old)
Indianapolis

These are pools from back in my old days (pre 1993). I haven't had the opportunity to swim in any of the new ones around the SE (UGA, Auburn, GA Tech, etc)

tjburk
September 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
East LA City College was a great pool....CIF Championships there in high school.....

Allen Stark
September 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM
1) Mt Hood
2)Indy
3)Austin
4)Federal Way
5)ASU
Belmont Plaza doesn't make my list,It is a fast pool and SPMA holds a great meet,bit in Dec it is often too cold inside.

elise526
September 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM
1. UGA
2. Auburn
3. Univ. of Maryland - College Park
4. Indy
5. Austin

Anybody that has done the Classic City Masters LC Meet in early June will tell you that the University of Georgia pool is a deluxe facility. In addition, has a diving well, a 25 yard cool-down pool with 8 lanes (they actually use the diving well during the LC meet, but could use the 25 yard pool during Nationals), and seating for 2000. Wish they would make a bid for 2010 SC Nationals. It is a little easier to get around Athens than Atlanta (although Atlanta is easier than D.C. area). Athens is about a 45 -55 minute drive from Atlanta.

inspired again
September 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM
1. Austin
2. The Woodlands

That Guy
September 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
1. my home pool from college, modest though it was
2. Federal Way
3. Buffalo

Karlene
September 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Fave Five
1. IUPUI - Indianapolis
2. Auburn
3. UT
4. Texas A & M
5. LSU - for some reason I always swam well there

onefish
September 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
1. U of Maryland, College Park. (daylight!)
2. UT Austin (after over 30 years, still looks great and performs well)
3. Gregory Gym, Austin - yeah, it's a relic, but in high school I remember the State meets were deafening, it was really crowded, incredible energy. And my dad swam there in the 40's (recreationally).

I think the atmosphere and memories can contribute a lot to a marginal pool as long as you don't hit your back on the bottom or shred various appendages on walls and lane lines.

Favorites that are, perhaps, not quite as competitive, but they do have lanes:

- Deep Eddy, Austin, with the outdoor changing rooms and tree canopy and no chemicals
- Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in the winter with snow all around.

DV

Michelina
September 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM

1. IU Natatorium
2. Texas Swim Center, U of T
3. Belmont Plaza, Long Beach
4. Federal Way, Washington
5. Heritage Aquatic Center, Irvine

Animal
September 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
East LA a great competition pool. Very dark, but very fast as a high school soph, I missed the first flip turn in a 200 and had to scull back to touch the wall. Middlebury College is a good competition pool very well lit and very airy feeling.

Another one that they held the 1966 NCAAs in is the Air Force Academy Pool, just outside of Colorado Springs at an elevation of greater than 7,000 feet. My college coach swam in 1966 at NCAA and said many of the swimmers were puking and sick just swimming at elevation. If compare the times of the year before and after 1966, if I remember right, the 500 free is the slowest in 1966.

It is a great pool, fast, and deep. But it is my understanding that there may not be any more meets held there due to the security risk. But as written on the wall,back in the day, you had to be good to swim up here. A very true statement.

jeffkuykendall
September 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I hated Belmont because while I was in high school, 1985-1987, we had to swim in the shallow end all the time because the bulkhead wasn't working or some such nonsense. I swam there in college 1988 Big West Championships, in the deep end, and it was okay, but I had a lot of negative energy towards the place built up.

top 5
1. UT Austin
2. Mission Viejo (home pool)
3. Federal Way
4. University of Utah - not a great pool, but a spectacular view of the mountains out of the floor to ceiling windows.
5. Heritage Park, home of the Irvine Novas, the first place I made my CIF cuts and Jr. National cuts.

East LA was a great pool, but that is no joke about the scary neighborhood!

amyro1234
September 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
My favorite pool is the Aquatic Center in Coral Springs, FLA. It has a 50 m pool and two 25m pools- all outdoors in the wonderful Florida sun. I love it!

david.margrave
September 10th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Federal Way, WA is my favorite competition pool.

I also like the Bob Devaney pool in Lincoln, NE, although I never competed there, just trained there a lot.

swimshark
September 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Favorite is Mt Hood.

Coming in close behind is Emory Univ and Federal Way.