PDA

View Full Version : Worst Competition Pool

tjrpatt
September 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Here is a thread for the worst pools that you competed at.

Mine is University Of Pittsburgh. That is the worst pool ever. I don't know if it was the pool or the situation at the time but I am swam very crappy at that pool.

poolraat
September 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
And when I swam National Senior Games there 4 years ago, I had personal bests in all 6 events I swam. Including my only 59 sec. 100 free.

Here is a thread for the worst pools that you competed at.

Mine is University Of Pittsburgh. That is the worst pool ever. I don't know if it was the pool or the situation at the time but I am swam very crappy at that pool.

aquageek
September 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Shelby High School, Shelby, NC - an aquatic abomination.

JimRude
September 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Easy - "The Dungeon" at USC.

Paul Smith
September 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Spruce pool, Boulder CO.

Don't hit the slide in lane #1 and watch your head on flip turns in the 2' shallow end.

Blackbeard's Peg
September 4th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Summer:
Manor Woods Swim Club, Bethesda, MD
6x25m, concrete
5ft in the deep/starting end of the pool
2.5 feet in the shallow end

mind you, my only experience in that pool was as a 5'10" 17y/o. Turns 1 & 3 of my 100 free were a bit dicey.

That Guy
September 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Walls: Hillendale in Silver Spring MD circa 1990. An outdoor 25m pool, MCSL summer league. The walls were slipperier than glass - if your flip turn wasn't perfectly square on, your feet would slip sideways and you'd get no pushoff. Backstroke starts were problematic as well.

Blocks: Iona College circa 1993. They had pretty nice blocks... that were barely attached to the floor. The blocks rocked back several inches on every start.

Chris Stevenson
September 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Shelby High School, Shelby, NC - an aquatic abomination.

Shelby? Heck, you were lucky to have plumbing at all.

Two of the worst pools I can remember: East Carolina and the old U of Md pool. The ECU pool actually wasn't too bad except for the wall you had to scale to get out, making relays pretty interesting. You always had to keep a little in reserve so you had enough energy to scamper out before the next leg got to the 50. At the U of Md they had to get someone to sit on the blocks for backstroke events.

tjburk
September 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Any pool in the city of Warner Robins....they all suck! Have to either drive up to Macon or out to Robins AFB.......

Leonard Jansen
September 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
The outdoor pool in Hershey, PA. at CocoaPlaza: about 3 feet 3 inches deep and they have a LARGE water slide in one part of the pool that creates a noticable current. When you swim north-to-south, it pushes you and in the opposite direction, you fight it. It's open water river swimming in a pool. They also won't put out a lap clock.

-LBJ

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Knox College. The lanes are so narrow I hit my hands even doing free. I was always surprised that no one broke their hands or wrists doing fly. It is dark and wet everywhere. It is almost impossible to get dry anywhere even near the pool. Over the years, the gym has been transformed into one of the best facilities of any of the small little Liberal Arts colleges of the Midwest. However, I don't think a dime has been spent on the pool since it was built. Somehow had an All American swimmer in this pool in the early 70s.

Another really bad pool was at DePauw in the Bowman gym. A great gym, it had little nooks and crannies all over with great stairs to run. It doesn't exist anymore. Probably the only good thing to ever happen at one of the most racist, conservative colleges in the country (I hope I get in trouble for that statement). I guarded there during faculty swim during lunch hour. It was very small but still couldn't see all of the corners. Some one could have drown in th northwest deep corner and still be there.

My niece's husband was a prof at ECU. And as for the U of Pittsburgh, one place I am thinking of moving to. Trying to find a master's program was really hard.

Doug Adamavich
September 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Cook Hall at University of Minnesota.

The place is a s***hole that was somehow kept in operation from the 1930's until 1990. It had flat walls, was dark, the grandstands were steep, and it just plain sucked.

I hated swimming there! In fact, when I was a freshman *and* a sophomore, I missed the Gopher State Invite because I was hung-over from the previous night and missed the bus (literally). I did not care if I got in trouble with the coach, I hated swimming there!!!!!!!!

I don't know if it is still around but I hope somebody bulldozed the place and had a priest exorcize the grounds.

swimshark
September 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Any pool in the city of Warner Robins....they all suck! Have to either drive up to Macon or out to Robins AFB.......

I'll second that!! And with some you have to be packing to be safe.

swimshark
September 5th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Rotterdam Boys Club, NY. Swam there for our high school team. 20 yard, 5 or 6 lane pool made of metal. If you pound on the bottom the paint would float to the surface. After our first practice there, the coach tested the water and it had no chlorine in it! Nasty.

ddunbar
September 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Dad's Club YMCA 50 Meter Pool - pre-aerator days. August 76 State Age Group Championships- they dumped 2 tons of ice in the pool between prelims and finals and the ice was gone and the water temp was still in the mid 80s.

They also had steel gutter covers which provided a high flat wall with a cheese grater surface for us to do our turns on.

blainesapprentice
September 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
The College of Saint Rose....4 lanes...no ventilation...dungeon esque setting....typical chemical imbalance...the whole nine yards.

onefish
September 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Second vote for Dad's Club as a competition venue. Sorry copy of the 1968 Mexico City pool. In addition to the gratings on all gutters, the deck used to be covered with a fissured cement. Presumably this was for non-slip purposes, but the fissures took chunks out of your feet if you stubbed anything.

On the other hand, if you could train in this pool, all other pools felt fast.

dV

Allen Stark
September 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Dad's Club YMCA 50 Meter Pool - pre-aerator days. August 76 State Age Group Championships- they dumped 2 tons of ice in the pool between prelims and finals and the ice was gone and the water temp was still in the mid 80s.

They also had steel gutter covers which provided a high flat wall with a cheese grater surface for us to do our turns on.

I agree it was a lousy pool,but for some reason I always swam fast there.(I also almost always bumped my head on the board over the block where they marked your time.)

PJElder
September 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I vote for Purdue's pool, before they got their new one in the late 90s early 00. It has the smallest turn markers of any pool I ever swam in and was a dark pool. I had better then 20/20 vision when I swam in the pool and my sole goal was to not hit my head against the damn wall.

Too much of a home pool advantage.

USMSarah
September 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I vote for Purdue's pool, before they got their new one in the late 90s early 00. It has the smallest turn markers for a the of any pool I ever swam in and was a dark pool. I had better then 20/20 vision when I swam in the pool and my sole goal was to not hit my head against the damn wall.

Too much of a home pool advantage.

Purdue's old pool was terrible, hope I can visit/swim in the new facility someday. Keepin' this in the big ten - Michigan's blocks are evil and should be destroyed.

SearayPaul
September 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The high school pool at Titusville, Florida in the early 70's. It was outdoors with no heat on an open flat that the wind whistled thru. Very cold in late March early April. The pool was dark green from all the algae. You could not see your hand in front of your face. To see the walls you had to put a towel in the water to identify the wall. The walls were extremely slick from all of the algae.

Nasty pool. I sure hope it has been replaced.

cantwait4bike
September 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Arnie Hanna Bellingham,Wa

They had to delay the youth meet an hour so the clean up crews could get all the crap, condoms, and female hygiene items out of the bottom of the pool. Was told it is pretty typical by another parent.

shark
September 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
The Greenhouse
Columbus, Ohio

The old Sycamore outdoor 50 meter off of Karl Road. The Bischoff's built it a long time ago. Somebodyelse decided to bubble it with an inflatable tent. Big white dome. Unattached locker rooms. You should have seen those kids as they walked in 5 degree temperatures to the locker rooms. The thing is, is that the part of the deck was exposed outside the tent. The deck would have ice trying to form while the pool was 80 degrees. When the kids would line up on the wooden scalfolding bulk head to start, someone would hit the side and ice would rain down on the timers and kids. Fog would form and the officials would have to guess if the competitors were competing legally.

SwimRobin
September 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
For backstokers, I would have to say the pool at Bowling Green High School in Bowling Green, Kentucky. The pool is located under a geodesic dome that was probably built in the 1960's or 70's. It is impossible to swim backstroke in that pool because the dome is so confusing!

ALM
September 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Wow. I thought that this one was the clear "winner"...

To see the walls you had to put a towel in the water to identify the wall. The walls were extremely slick from all of the algae.

Until I read this....

They had to delay the youth meet an hour so the clean up crews could get all the crap, condoms, and female hygiene items out of the bottom of the pool.