PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

moodyrichardson
September 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hello all! My name is Cheryl. I'm 37, and I'm from Tennessee. I'm fairly new to swimming properly. I taught myself, when I was about 6 yrs. old. Now, I'm swimming the proper way and trying to learn proper stroke techniques. I have a friend that used to swim competitively helping me. I'm fairly strong in the water, so my speed isn't too bad. My question is would it benefit me to join Masters Swimming? My local campus sponsors a club. I'm not really interested in competition, but would like REALLY good workouts, since I'm an endurance runner.

Also, I was reading the "rant" thread earlier today. Since I'm so new, could someone point me to pool etiquette? I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks for any and all help!

Spock
September 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome. Here (http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/pooletiquette) is a link to pool etiquette.

ande
September 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Welcome

you asked:
would it benefit me to join Masters Swimming?
yes

plus you might enjoy Swim Faster Faster (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229)
it may answer many questions you have

Hello all! My name is Cheryl. I'm 37, and I'm from Tennessee. I'm fairly new to swimming properly. I taught myself, when I was about 6 yrs. old. Now, I'm swimming the proper way and trying to learn proper stroke techniques. I have a friend that used to swim competitively helping me. I'm fairly strong in the water, so my speed isn't too bad. My question is would it benefit me to join Masters Swimming? My local campus sponsors a club. I'm not really interested in competition, but would like REALLY good workouts, since I'm an endurance runner.

Also, I was reading the "rant" thread earlier today. Since I'm so new, could someone point me to pool etiquette? I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks for any and all help!

moodyrichardson
September 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the answers and links.

Another question that I have:

Why is it that some days I feel really strong and good in the water. Other days it seems a struggle from the get go, and I can't really pinpoint a specific pattern. Any thoughts on this?

Donna
September 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
If you are just starting out your muscles and lungs need to recover from your previous workout. This is normal, just try to maintain good swimming technique and don't worry about how you feel right now. Do your best for the way you feel that day.

Donna

moodyrichardson
September 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm looking forward to participating on the forums and learning LOTS!