PDA

View Full Version : Swim Big Shoulders and Support Obama???

Hoosier
September 6th, 2008, 08:37 PM
The Big Shoulders swim, held in Chicago Sept 6th. Offered the new look in USMS sanctioned swims, political partianship. For a link to the discussion go here http://http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=151647#post151647 This is the same organization that is running next years Nationals. USMS, you need to address this.

Old Navy
September 6th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It was just a shirt. :dedhorse:

The event, it's organizers and support organizations are class acts. 500+ plus swimmers show up each year for a reason, because Big Shoulders is a great swim event. I've been ther the last three years and will be back next year. The swim is the swimmers come for.

And by the way the shirt urges me to swim, not to vote. :2cents:

haroldbuck
September 6th, 2008, 09:03 PM
The Big Shoulders swim, held in Chicago Sept 6th. Offered the new look in USMS sanctioned swims, political partianship. For a link to the discussion go here http://http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=151647#post151647 This is the same organization that is running next years Nationals. USMS, you need to address this.

Bad link.

Hoosier
September 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Look under Illinois Zone

matysekj
September 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
VERY bad form IMO. USMS sanctioned events and services should not be used in any way to further any political candidates or views. Just swim, dammit. And by the way, who in their right mind would want a T shirt from a major swim event that has a politician's face on it? I wouldn't, no matter who it is.

swimr4life
September 6th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Where's the moderator? Shouldn't this post be removed? I thought politics were off limits on this site. :mad:

matysekj
September 6th, 2008, 11:41 PM
As long as the discussion is about the fact that a USMS sanctioned event featured a politician on the medals and T shirts rather than discussing anything about the politicians themselves or their parties or policies, it will be allowed. As I said above, I think it's terrible that an event director brought politics into their event.

blainesapprentice
September 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I agree. I would NOT swim in any meet that was giving medals and t-shirts supporting any politician. It doesn't matter to me which politician it is (the one I am supporting or not), it's bad policy and bad form to mix the two together.

Besides the t-shirt issue...who the heck wants medals with a politician on it? Did he do anything to get you that medal? I think not.

Hoosier
September 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I think the big thing now is will USMS take any steps to censure the promoters of Big Shoulders? Will wait and see.

NKMD
September 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM
ILMSA (Illinois Masters Swimming Association) did sanction the event.
The event organizers were Big Shoulders-Chicago Masters and University of Illinois-Chicago, not Illinois Masters.
ILMSA does not show any political partisanship.
ILMSA did not approve the shirt and medals for the event.
ILMSA does not support the decision made by the event organizers

Nadine KM Day, ILMSA Chair

Hoosier
September 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The event organizers were Big Shoulders-Chicago Masters and University of Illinois-Chicago, not Illinois Masters.
ILMSA does not show any political partisanship.-YOU JUST DID

ILMSA wishes to hide its head in the sand at Ohio Street Beach immediately after screaming..."Not Us! Not Us!" Love it when people in leadership positions start looking for the door when trouble appears.

SwimStud
September 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
If you want to stir the pot the least you can do is get the link to work...:drink:

OK to make things right, how about we get some McCain swimcaps printed up and hand them out at nats next year...

If you're getting worked up about this, really, you need to breathe. If your $70 went to a campaign I'd understand more but over a ("everyone's a winner") participation award? Gimme a break--just toss it and be done.

Don't swim it anymore. Find another 3 miler. I can point you to several charitable swims if you are so outraged and want to do some good.

Hoosier
September 7th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I understand it is hard for some people to just look under Illinois Zone Forum (so hard to find, towards bottom of page) so will try again..http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=11927

haroldbuck
September 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I understand it is hard for some people to just look under Illinois Zone Forum (so hard to find, towards bottom of page) so will try again..http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=151706#post151706

Um, isn't that link for this thread?

Hoosier
September 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=11927corrected it try again...

NKMD
September 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
ILMSA does not show any political partisanship.-YOU JUST DID

ILMSA wishes to hide its head in the sand at Ohio Street Beach immediately after screaming..."Not Us! Not Us!" Love it when people in leadership positions start looking for the door when trouble appears.

ILMSA is not hiding anything. I have received many emails and phone calls regarding the event. ILMSA doesn't approve the logo designs and medals for events. I apologize that the event organizers used inappropriate judgement in there decision in printing the shirts and the medals.

We are looking in to establishing policy and legislation to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Nadine KM Day, ILMSA Chair

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
If Nadine has to okay every t-shirt when will we swim. What a silly idea. ILMSA can't be involved as the t-shirt Gestapo. Really a bad choice to put anyone on a t-shirt. What I love about masters is that even though I have no speed now i can still participate. We should see ourselves as boosters of our sport not as anything else. Even though I think everything is political in our country.

knelson
September 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
We are looking in to establishing policy and legislation to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Boo. I think the meet organizers should decide on the logos used for their events and there's no need for some kind of "approval" for this. This smacks of censorship to me. People can choose to wear the shirt or throw it in their rag pile.

I posted a photo of the shirt here: http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=151803&postcount=49 if anyone's interested in what all the fuss is about.

USMSarah
September 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
It's tacky. Don't your meet fees pay for the t-shirts? I wouldn't want to have to pay for a swim meet shirt that had any presidential candidate on it.

To soothe the blow.... maybe they could offer another shirt w/ McCain on it wearing a LZR.

haroldbuck
September 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
It's tacky. Don't your meet fees pay for the t-shirts?

Well, yeah, but how many race shirts do you get that suck? I mean, putting a political candidate on a shirt didn't make it the first shirt your meet fees paid for that sucked, right?

There's always the risk you're paying for a shirt you don't like and will never wear. I have many, and I shall never want when I am looking for rags to wax the car!

In some running races now they give you the option of paying less to enter if you don't want the shirt. I like that!

Red60
September 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I think this is a hilarious shirt. It trades on the famous print image of
Obama by Shephard Fairey, who might turn out to be the one with a case to be pissed off. He's a designer and illustrator with a fondness for propaganda, and specifically the visual signature of social realist stuff from the 1930s and later. Site here: http://obeygiant.com/

The goggles make it sort of self-satirizing, as does the substitution of SWIM for HOPE. Yes, I understand the non-partisan nature of people's objections, but holy cow, doesn't this seem like a good-natured riff given that Obama is a local pol in Chicago?

blainesapprentice
September 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Well, yeah, but how many race shirts do you get that suck? I mean, putting a political candidate on a shirt didn't make it the first shirt your meet fees paid for that sucked, right?

There's always the risk you're paying for a shirt you don't like and will never wear. I have many, and I shall never want when I am looking for rags to wax the car!

In some running races now they give you the option of paying less to enter if you don't want the shirt. I like that!

I realize not all meet shirts are class acts that you would wear on a regular basis but I can honestly say that I have never gotten a shirt from a meet that I would flat out not wear to the gym, while doing yard work, working in the barn, at the beach, at another swim meet, etc...

maybe it's because I'm 22 years old and love t-shirts for those above purposes....

But, I would NOT wear that shirt in public regardless...I am a republican, but it doesn't really matter to me...I wouldn't have worn a McCain shirt either....I think politics and sports mixing is ridiculous and I wouldn't want to be at the gym or something and have to explain my absurd shirt to someone.

Doug Adamavich
September 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM
To soothe the blow.... maybe they could offer another shirt w/ McCain on it wearing a LZR.

...or Sarah Palin wearing one of the Fabiola Molina two-piece suits.

http://www.fabswimwear.com/two_piece_sunkini

Just kidding

I agree, no politics in sports in *any* way. Satire and humor (if that was the intent) should be left to professionals IMHO.

Rykno
September 8th, 2008, 03:55 AM

the 1900m OW race in Copenhagen, Denmark does that too. one fee for a t-shirt and a lower fee without a t-shirt.

I don't think I have ever seen a swimming shirt with a person on it, politician or not. usually they are buildings of the host city, a cartoon swimmer, or some cartoon animal.

had I been given the Obama t-shirt, I think I would have said no thanks or I would taken it home and put it in a box with the rest of my swimming souvenirs.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Add me to this list of people turned off by this stunt. My shirt went directly into the trash. It was not an appropriate design and the organizers should have rejected it knowing it would get the reaction it has.

I'm also a little upset about having to present my USMS card on the day of the race. I didn't bring mine and had to pay $20 for a one day registration. I was told that I received an email about this. Well I get 50-100 emails daily and I don't open all of them. I registered with a valid USMS number (and it even appears next to my finish time on the results). They had a list of Illinois USMS swimmers so that they could be verified on the spot. I'm not from Illinois, so I was forced to pay the $20. Would it have been that difficult for an event of this size to have the organizers cross-check your USMS number when you register or to have a computer set up the morning of the race to verify registration?

I enjoyed the race this year, but will consider other races next year.

gull
September 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM
If anyone wants to rid themselves of these offensive shirts, let me know. I will pay $20 each.

tjburk
September 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Whether you all think so or not that was a blatant edorsement of Mr. Obama complete with his very own personalized and stylized Presidential Emblem.

And it should not have been allowed.

aquageek
September 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
And it should not have been allowed.

I agree, call the cops!

Seriously, who cares, it's a meet t-shirt. Did anyone really enter for the stupid t-shirt?

tjburk
September 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I agree, call the cops!

Seriously, who cares, it's a meet t-shirt. Did anyone really enter for the stupid t-shirt?

Not the point....like someone else said earlier....I would not want my entry fee to pay for a political endorsement unless the swim was a fundraiser.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Did anyone really enter for the stupid t-shirt?

No, I didnít enter for the t-shirt. I enjoyed the swim, but the shirt and medal were too blatantly political.

I'm not opposed to vigorous political discussion/disagreement, I just don't want it pushed upon me at a swim race.

chaos
September 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
If anyone wants to rid themselves of these offensive shirts, let me know. I will pay $20 each.

not to start a bidding war but............
20 bucks and the chesapeake bay shirt of your choice from yours truly (thats 1.3 extra miles)

knelson
September 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
My shirt went directly into the trash.

That's pretty wasteful, don't you think? How about telling them you didn't want the shirt or maybe giving the shirt to someone else if you didn't like it?

About the USMS card thing, I brought mine because I saw the email, but no one asked to see it when I checked in. It's too bad they had sporadic enforcement of that. I would have been pretty mad if I had to pay an extra $20 to swim. That would be something that would make me question whether to swim the event again next year, unlike the shirt design.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's pretty wasteful, don't you think? How about telling them you didn't want the shirt or maybe giving the shirt to someone else if you didn't like it?

I would find that shirt offensive on others as well.:oldman:

ScarletSwimmer
September 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Kirk: if you don't like it, give it to someone who needs it.

You guys need to lighten up. Geez.

gull
September 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM
$25. Any size (my wife and kids want one, too).

Barola
September 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Curious about whether or not Obama's campaign needs to disclose the value of the t-shirts and medals as campaign materials as in-kind donations. Maybe the campaign financing police ought to take a look at this one. Also curious: who made the donation of the "charicature?" Was it the DNC? Was it Obama's camapign? There are more troubling issues with all of this than what meets the eye. What about 501(c)(3) status for Chicago Masters? Have they violated IRS regs? As for ILMSA, the Obama campaign materials were just as much of a surprise to ILMSA and USMS as it was to the participants who were not the organizer's insiders. Chicago Masters needs to cough up cash equal to the value fo the dhirts and the medals and return that to the participants who request a refund. As an ILMSA person I extend my apology to all who have been offended by Chicago Master's lapse of judgment. Wake up Chicago Masters there is more to the world than Cook County and its myopic diability.

aquageek
September 8th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Not the point....like someone else said earlier....I would not want my entry fee to pay for a political endorsement unless the swim was a fundraiser.

Oh good grief, find another tree to bark up, it's a swim meet tshirt. Just go swim and stop the geo political whine session.

thewookiee
September 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
That's pretty wasteful, don't you think? .

You are absolutely right! That is a wasteful thing to do. It could be saved for an emergency, like when there is no toliet paper in the house.

gull
September 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
As an ILMSA person I extend my apology to all who have been offended by Chicago Master's lapse of judgment.

I am deeply offended but accept your apology. Now can you find me one of the shirts?

lefty
September 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Can someone provide a picture of the shirts? I am *pretty* sure that won't put USMS' 501c3 status in jeopardy.

knelson
September 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Can someone provide a picture of the shirts?

http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=151803&postcount=49

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I believe everything is political. I am very Liberal. I think the race organizers are doing campaign acts through the shirt. You might have put problems on Sen. Obama's campaign. How could anyone put a person who isn't even a swimmer on a tshirt. Could any one come up with a better picture?

aquageek
September 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Could any one come up with a better picture?

Gull was contacted too late for a glamour shot. Being the swim diva that he is, he demanded a stylist for the shoot and the budget couldn't afford him. So, they went with Obama instead.

gull
September 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Also curious: who made the donation of the "charicature?" Was it the DNC? Was it Obama's camapign? There are more troubling issues with all of this than what meets the eye.

Very troubling indeed. Almost as troubling, in fact, as your inability to spell caricature.

gull
September 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM
My shirt went directly into the trash.

Then you'll be heartened to know that the organizers are planning to sell more. If you tell me your size I can order you a replacement.

quicksilver
September 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Big shoulders.
http://www.x-rep.com/images/CarrotTop1.jpg

Bigger shoulders.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2838423561_c6fa9c8a91_o.jpg

Should have had a swimmer on the shirt.
Sports, and politics, (and religion) don't mix very well.

haroldbuck
September 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Big shoulders.
http://www.x-rep.com/images/CarrotTop1.jpg

Bigger shoulders.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2838423561_c6fa9c8a91_o.jpg

Should have had a swimmer on the shirt.
Sports, and politics, (and religion) don't mix very well.

Can anyone believe Carrot Top got beat out this year for sexiest man alive? :cry:

They could have put a non-swimmer on the shirt and done it in an amusing way. As people have suggested, with the race being in Illinois, Lincoln in goggles would have worked just fine.

ViveBene
September 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Lincoln in goggles would have worked just fine.

Them's fightin' words! No wei!
:D

Anyhoo, I recollected a few things: Obama has worked to make Chicago a candidate city for the Summer Olympics in 2016 (Dara Torres!) and has also worked with a preservation committee to keep limestone block revetments (rather than cement tiers) along parts of the lakefront traditionally used by swimmers for lake access (which will assuredly not be the case if the cement stuff is poured).
:cheerleader:

chaos
September 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Then you'll be heartened to know that the organizers are planning to sell more. If you tell me your size I can order you a replacement.

i was trying to keep this info secret with hopes of cornering the market.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM

I'd be very curious to know what USMS (who sanctioned the race) would think of furthering this "situation" by having the event organizers sell more of the obviously controversial shirts.

Look, I understand itís just a race t-shirt and Iíll be able to sleep tonight regardless of what happened. I just think the event organizers should have seen this coming.

haroldbuck
September 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'd be very curious to know what USMS (who sanctioned the race) would think of furthering this "situation" by having the event organizers sell more of the obviously controversial shirts.

Look, I understand itís just a race t-shirt and Iíll be able to sleep tonight regardless of what happened. I just think the event organizers should have seen this coming.

Considering the tremendous buzz about the shirts and the possibility of selling a bunch more, maybe they did. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
From the Open Water forum...

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=11841

"Re: La Jolla Rough Water Swim

for those of you who weren't there this year, come next year. The weather and water were perfect and the great team who put on LJRWS ran it supremely on time. What a wonderful event. My only complaint is that I lost the great draft pack on my way back from the pier, but I'm proud to have my first Gatorman finisher t-shirt. Note also, that, unlike some 'big' event in the midwest, there was a welcome absence of politicians on our t-shirts ... nothing but gators."

I've always wanted to do this swim. Maybe it will make it on my calendar instead of Chicago next year.:duel:

knelson
September 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM

I really can't see why USMS would care. The only people who would order the shirts now are people who actually want the shirt. I don't think USMS should get in the business of deciding what kind of merchandise teams are allowed to sell.

gull
September 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Banning shirts? What's next, banning books? Oh, sorry--my bad.

The Fortress
September 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM

:lmao:

I agree with Kirk. And, even if I didn't, it doesn't seem worth wasting mental energy over.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Who said anything about banning shirts? If you want to support Obama or anyone else for that matter, go for it. My point is that a USMS sanctioned swim race is not the appropriate place to interject politics. And yes, I think USMS would agree with me.

tjburk
September 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Oh good grief, find another tree to bark up, it's a swim meet tshirt. Just go swim and stop the geo political whine session.

Geek, as to your offer stated above, I'll respectfully decline! I, like you and anyone else on this thread, have the RIGHT to agree or disagree with any statement made on this forum. And can express said opinion here as I deem necessary.

Woof - Woof!!!!

aquageek
September 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Between the whiners who won't let their kids play against a better pitching kid and those of you who'd rather argue about a tshirt than swim, it's really amazing that there is any actual sporting being done in America these days. This makes me respect meet volunteers and organizers even more knowing they have to suffer through stuff like this. Seriously, get a life and a grip. Or, better yet, show up at your next swim meet and do the 200 yard protest. All that hot air you are spewing is disrupting my swimming chi.

djacks
September 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Between the whiners who won't let their kids play against a better pitching kid and those of you who'd rather argue about a tshirt than swim, it's really amazing that there is any actual sporting being done in America these days. This makes me respect meet volunteers and organizers even more knowing they have to suffer through stuff like this. Seriously, get a life and a grip. Or, better yet, show up at your next swim meet and do the 200 yard protest. All that hot air you are spewing is disrupting my swimming chi.

I paid my money and swam. I really enjoyed the swim. I didn't like the political statement made by the shirt. If that makes me a whiner, so be it - I've been called worse.

tjburk
September 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I paid my money and swam. I really enjoyed the swim. I didn't like the political statement made by the shirt. If that makes me a whiner, so be it - I've been called worse.

Ditto.....if I know my money is going to promote something I don't believe in. Not gonna do it! LOL

aquageek
September 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ditto.....if I know my money is going to promote something I don't believe in. Not gonna do it! LOL

Give me a break Holy Roller, the entry fee was for the event. I've never seen such angst over a tshirt but I guess you gotta whine about something these days to be a true American.

tjburk
September 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Give me a break Holy Roller, the entry fee was for the event. I've never seen such angst over a tshirt but I guess you gotta whine about something these days to be a true American.

Why is it when we put our ideas forward here we are whining? But, it's not whining when you do? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me!

Get over yourself already....other people can have different opinions then you without you being an %ss to them.

aquageek
September 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Get over yourself already....other people can have different opinions then you without you being an %ss to them.

Got some more scripture to quote on a swimming web site?

Boo hoo, I got a tshirt that looked like Obama at an OW event, sniff sniff. Shut up and swim!!

SwimStud
September 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM

What statement is that exactly? Obama looks like anyone else in goggles?

lefty
September 8th, 2008, 05:42 PM
This has really been blown out of proportion. I agree with Geek, though I wouldn't put it with his same delicacy.

Oh and enough about correcting spelling. It does not matter on a message board.

hsheean
September 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Wow, no seriously...Wow. I had no idea that this shirt would create such a stir. Being the creator and designer of the Obama Swim t-shirt I can only say that there are a lot of people getting quite heated about something so trivial.

I am a creative director in a large agency in Los Angeles and have been designing the Big Shoulders shirts for over 10 years. Each year we try to come up with something unique, fun and different. I have been a swimmer for 40 of my 45 years and can think of nothing else that brings so much to the body and spirit. I LIVE it and LOVE it. While brainstorming for this years shirt - I spotted a poster created by a popular local street artist Shepard Fariey. http://obeygiant.com/
Shepard has made a career of taking that which is familiar and giving it a clever twist. He got his start from creating an iconic image that was a parody of the "Big Brother is Watching" poster mentioned in a book by George Orwell's "1984".

This was in no way an endorsement or a clever way to push Barack Obama but, rather push the idea taking taking the HOPE from the ubiquitous Obama poster and place the word SWIM. The fact that he is a Chicago icon made it even better. Seriously - If everyone jumped into the pool and did some laps I think the world would be a better place.

Everyday, I am challenged to create something new and engaging. The graphic is nothing more than an Andy Warhol soup can or Bicycle Wheel by Duchamp. Hell, if the poster had McCain or Mickey Mouse I would have used them. The big idea is to inject a bit of levity and thought to promote a great thing - SWIMMING!!!! Yeah Swimming - yahooo!!! (splash!)

So, if you were offended and feel that this is a sneaky trick, sorry. And if you hate the shirt - great! Sell it on Ebay or line your birdcage with it. I don't care. Just get out there and get some laps in and have some fun!

I am already working on next years shirt which will feature a unicorn with cap and swim goggles leaping over a rainbow and splashing his little hooves in gumdrops all set against Chicago's majestic skyline at sunset. Yikes! I only hope that I don't hear from PETA...

nuff said. Peace.

tjburk
September 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Got some more scripture to quote on a swimming web site?

Boo hoo, I got a tshirt that looked like Obama at an OW event, sniff sniff. Shut up and swim!!

You do pretty good at that whining stuff sound like you have had a lot of experience.

Nice come back....."Shut up and swim!!" Sound like a little 4 year old!!! You ever going to grow up and argue like a real man....other than calling people names and telling them to "Shut up"?

haroldbuck
September 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
:blah::dedhorse::blah::thhbbb::bitching::argue::hi jack::dedhorse:

[There has to be a moderator who can close this thread now, right?]

h2obug
September 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
For as worked up as a lot of you are about this overt political statement, this IRS-501(c)(3) violating, this partisan mixing of politics and sports, there seem to be a large group of you who apparently have absolutely no familiarity with the interplay between politics, pop culture, and parody. And actually, you apparently haven't been following this actual campaign very closely. For that group, let me bring you up to speed.

Not to take anything away from the (ironically) Arizona native who designed the FREE t-shirt, but Big Shoulders is not the first to parody the Obama HOPE poster. It has actually been parodied in a number of forums since it first made its debut. Below are just a few of the links to images of other examples of such parody, none of which would be considered endorsements for Obama (I couldn't find my favorite - the Obama image with the words "CHANGE your tires" underneath):

http://motherpie.typepad.com/motherpie/images/2008/05/03/obama_parody.png

http://www.conservativedonnybrook.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/pope2.jpg

http://www.trendhunter.com/images/phpthumbnails/18372_1_230.jpeg

http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/obamaposterwrightdamn.gif

http://www.thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_Poster_Crybaby.gif

http://bagnewsnotes.typepad.com/bagnews/images/malkin-snob1.jpg

http://www.thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_Poster_Clinton_Grope.gif

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2033/obama2il7.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4343/obama3zr0.jpg

Looking at these images along side the SWIM t-shirt, it is hard to ignore that Obama looks as ridiculous in his tie and goggles as he does standing behind a leaf of arugula. It is quite a leap for anyone to assume that the shirt would act as an "endorsement" given this. I'm sure some of our more sensitive Obama supporters could make an equally absurd argument that the shirt actually makes a mockery of him.

Parody has a long, rich tradition in our country, and I for one am grateful for it. The Onion, The Daily Show, and Saturday Night Live are all examples of forms of media that regularly parody our politicians. Big Shoulders no more has to ask permission, notify the IRS, or declare its "campaign contribution" for these shirts, than Will Farrell has to do so for his now infamous George W. Bush impressions, or Amy Pohler for her Hillary Clinton impressions, or the late Phil Hartman for his Bill Clinton impressions. There are places in this world where you can't laugh at your politicians, where parody of public figures is a crime, where someone can wield an almighty gavel, declare "poor judgment", and the laugher would stop. That place is called CHINA and notwithstanding its triumph at the Olympics, I don't think anyone here is lining up to move there.

The pathetic thing about this entire "controversy" is that one would actually have to TRY to be offended by this t-shirt. It requires effort to ignore the fact that it is obviously a JOKE and to start complaining that the IRS should investigate, that Obama should investigate, that ILSMA and USMS should investigate. In fact, it takes enough effort that I'm wondering whether some of you didn't swim hard enough.

So to sum up: IT'S A JOKE! Put your big girl panties on and stop crying about what a travesty it is that a McCain t-shirt was not equally available. A McCain t-shirt makes no sense. Had this been an open water swim in Arizona, the image of McCain in a LZR would have been not only appropriate, but hilarious. However, this is not Arizona; it's Chicago. Obama is currently the single most recognizable Chicago public figure in the world. Big Shoulders is a Chicago event. Hell, even the name "Big Shoulders" is a parody - a pun on both a nickname of the city of Chicago and a physical feature a lot of swimmers have. What a stunning display of provinciality this thread is.

PS: Feel free to sign up for the La Jolla Rough Water 3-miler. My husband did it last year. It was about as much fun as a colonoscopy. 800 participants lined up on a 100 yd wide beach all starting at the same time. Oh, and the t-shirts (a parody of the revered alligator wearing a cap and goggles) sucked.

aquageek
September 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
"Shut up and swim!!" Sound like a little 4 year old!!! You ever going to grow up and argue like a real man....other than calling people names and telling them to "Shut up"?

I can't take credit for this quote. I saw it on a t-shirt, seemed appropriate for this thread.

Rob Copeland
September 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
USMS has heard the concerns expressed about the t-shirts and awards used by the Big Shoulders event organizers. USMS and its Illinois Local Masters Swim Committee issued a sanction to the Big Shoulders race based upon how the competition would be conducted. Event merchandise and awards were not shown to USMS or the LMSC or included in the sanction determination prior to the race.

USMS and its LMSCs do not promote or engage in political or lobbying activities or endorse candidates for office. USMS regrets any unintended association between USMS and the event organizers' decision to use a candidate's image on t-shirts and awards and apologizes to those who were offended by this use.

In addition, this and related threads are being closed. A number of posts have strayed into political discourse and have been deleted (as per USMS policy). The next step would be to ban posters of serious or satiric political posts, however I believe at this point our best course of action is to close the threads and move on. Hopefully everyone has had their opportunity to comment. Please feel free to PM me if you strongly object.