PDA

View Full Version : Death to all Noodlers!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hoosier
September 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
One 100 free to go in set. Two open lanes.(no lane lines in pool) Noodler comes over to stand in my lane to talk with friend. Pool is set at 85 degrees cause all the noodlers say it is to cold otherwise. I complain to guard, am told, "well there are a lot more of them then there are lap swimmers" Wont be if they keep this up. UGH! :frustrated:

scyfreestyler
September 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Death?!! Damn Gina!

Hoosier
September 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ok, Ok, not death...but how about require that all noodlers must get their hair done at 6am, each and every day...that way they will want to stay out of the pool when I am there... (couple have already complained to guard that. "those swimmers got them wet!"

elise526
September 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
The noodlers have invaded and swimming pools will never be the same again. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably have to build my own pool because the nearby Y pool is morphing into a therapy pool where they keep the water temp 88.

Hoosier
September 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Local pool 5 minutes from home. Next closest pool 50 minutes. Thinking of switching.

haroldbuck
September 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM
(couple have already complained to guard that. "those swimmers got them wet!"

Then.
Don't.
Go.
In.
The.
Pool.

geochuck
September 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Be nice to noodlers.

I have two great friends in Mexico. One I call Mr. Noddles the other I call the Noodle King. I even gave them Christmas gifts last year. I gave both 2 packages of Mr Noodles.

the17thman
September 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM
This might already be posted somewhere else but check out this story of the lap swimmer arrested due to some noodlers!

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ab-swimming&tid=922

quicksilver
September 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
One 100 free to go in set. Two open lanes.(no lane lines in pool) Noodler comes over to stand in my lane to talk with friend. Pool is set at 85 degrees cause all the noodlers say it is to cold otherwise. I complain to guard, am told, "well there are a lot more of them then there are lap swimmers" Wont be if they keep this up. UGH! :frustrated:

What's all this about death. Drastic times call for drastic measures, but not to this degree.

Waddle over and make some small talk in a language they can understand.
Then start swishing your hands in little circles just under the surface.

Say something like "ahhhh that feels better"...and see what happens.
Your side of the pool will be emptied pronto. Unless they already did the same.

thewookiee
September 10th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Say something like "ahhhh that feels better"...and see what happens.
Your side of the pool will be emptied pronto. Unless they already did the same.

That works! I have done that stunt a few times at my pool...they quickly leave the lane.

Kurt Dickson
September 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Noodlers definitely suck. They generally have no respect for others. There universe consists of their noodle, their waist belt, and their other fat friends. They are completely unable to share a lane. They complain if the water is colder than 84 degrees, if someone has changed the pool radio off of the oldies station, or if they get "too wet." The worst part about them is that the have more "pool clout" than any lap swimmer and pretty much get whatever they want. My take: If your body fat percentage is greater than 40%, the "exercise" you are doing is not working. I would kick their a@@, but they all remind me of my mother, and I could not do that to her--even if she did deserve it.:bliss:

Midas
September 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
This weekend I was at the local pool where I take my kids swimming (they have an indoor pool kept at like 85 degrees, which is great for little kids just splashing around). They have a bin full of noodles, etc. Right next to the bin is a bucket with various toys for the kids to play with and hanging from the wall are life jackets for the kiddies to wear if you so choose (I don't). In any event, a dad who was there with his 4 year old (or so) son grabs a noodle for the kid to hang on to and have fun with. Upon realizing this, the lifeguard immediately got up, walked over to the dad, and informed him that the noodles were for adults only and they didn't want kids playing with them. The dad was incredulous. He couldn't believe his son could not play with what was clearly a toy. The lifeguard rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders but the poor kid had to give it up. Goes to show you how proprietary the noodlers are...

scyfreestyler
September 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Not that a 4 year old would do this, but most kids I see playing with noodles use them to strike the water and sometimes, each other. That might have something to do with the adults only part of the noodle situation you experienced.

Noodles Romanoff
September 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
What a bunch of whiney prima donnas.

Going back to the original post Ė one lap swimmer taking up anywhere from 1/4 to 1/8 of the pool all by herself is complaining about 2 noodlers standing and taking up less than 1% of the pool.:doh::argue:

Hoosier
September 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM
First of all, I am a guy. 2nd of all I may be a prima donna, but you are talking out of the wrong end, when you comment and dont even know what you are talking about. The scenerio: 4 lane lap pool. (kept at 85 degrees, because it is to cold for the rudeler noodlers otherwise) 10 minutes until rudelers class starts. One swimmer in the ONE lane roped off. I was swimming up AGAINST the lane line on the side of the open three lanes. (on last 100 of set, getting done, because I know they are coming in. see original post) When this Rudeler Noodler, who had 3 LANES OF OPEN POOL (with aprox 8 other people in them) walks over to lean against the lane line, clearly blocking me out. What does she do, starts talking to her friend. Who's the prima dona in this case? Oh, one other thing, to some other posters... The "death" is a joke, get a life.

quicksilver
September 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Noodles, evidently your opinion is biased.

Being that you are named after one. :agree:

knelson
September 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
People can be rude in the pool, no question. The best course of action is usually just to swim around them.

RuffWater
September 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
That's some kind of attitude, Hooiser. If the noodler was just standing there, why didn't you simply slide over a fraction of an inch and finish your 100? If you have established your space against the lane line, you could flip within inches of the stationary noodler, finish your 100, and make a your point. I bet they would be quick to see their error. It's not like the noodler ruined your entire workout (although you let him/her ruin the rest of your day).

aquageek
September 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I bet they would be quick to see their error. It's not like the noodler ruined your entire workout (although you let him/her ruin the rest of your day).

Seriously, you've never been up against the noddling gang to make such a foolish statement as this.

Noodles Romanoff
September 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
the noddling gang...
Please note that a group of us noodlers should be referred to as a pod, bloat or herd. A gang usually is reserved for buffalo, elk and turkeys.

Hoosier
September 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
For the group I am talking about...bloat seems to fit.

aquageek
September 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Please note that a group of us noodlers should be referred to as a pod, bloat or herd. A gang usually is reserved for buffalo, elk and turkeys.

Good point, although buffaloes do come in herds as well and I believer there are such things as water buffaloes.

laineybug
September 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
The guard has a point! If indeed there are more noodlers than swimmers, why should the noodlers sacrafice because a lap swimmer wants the water colder? I was raised to believe that while you may not agree with the majority, the majority rules and not to sit around complaining, do something to bring about the change you want.

There are swimmers who don't like cold water either. So it just isn't a 'noodler' thing.

On the other hand I agree with you, if you were already swimming in a lane the noodlers should stay out of it. They probably didn't see you when they got in the lane, but should have moved out of your way.

I've heard enough from the other pool patrons to know that they consider lap swimmers the rudest, most inconsiderate, holier than thou folks in the pool.

Lainey

gobears
September 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I've heard enough from the other pool patrons to know that they consider lap swimmers the rudest, most inconsiderate, holier than thou folks in the pool.

Jealousy...pure jealousy there...:drown:

laineybug
September 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Jealousy...pure jealousy there...:drown:

You just proved their point.

aquageek
September 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
As long as the crazy ancient pool hogging noodlers have gotten their way by turning every single Y in the nation into an 88 degree piss pot, they are not allowed to utter one single other word on anything aquatic related. Noodlers are in no way the majority over the many other swimmers, lessons, etc that have no use for putrid hot water. What they are is the loud mean majority who have ample free time to complain to the aquatics directors all day and night. You don't believe me, ask any Y aquatic director about this. And, since 98% of them are grossly obese they have no clout with the fitness community of lap swimmers who are at least trying to get a workout in.

pwolf66
September 11th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Amen, Geek, Amen!!!!

haroldbuck
September 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM
The guard has a point! If indeed there are more noodlers than swimmers, why should the noodlers sacrafice because a lap swimmer wants the water colder? I was raised to believe that while you may not agree with the majority, the majority rules and not to sit around complaining, do something to bring about the change you want.

I'm not convinced they are a majority, just loud complainers, but even if they are the majority you should brush up on your de Tocqueville:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

chattcatdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I`m searching for a nice pool to start my swimmimg workouts and trying to gauge the noodler effect at each. Several Y`s in the area, but the noodler population is pretty high. I might just end up paying a little extra and get a gym membership that has more of a lap swimming mentality.

elise526
September 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I`m searching for a nice pool to start my swimmimg workouts and trying to gauge the noodler effect at each. Several Y`s in the area, but the noodler population is pretty high. I might just end up paying a little extra and get a gym membership that has more of a lap swimming mentality.

The Downtown Chattanooga Y is wonderful. It has two 25 yard pools. One for the noodlers that they keep at 86 and another one for the serious lap swimmers that is kept at 78-80. From time to time, I make the 160 mile round trip to escape the noodlers at my Y.

chattcatdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM
The Downtown Chattanooga Y is wonderful. It has two 25 yard pools. One for the noodlers that they keep at 86 and another one for the serious lap swimmers that is kept at 78-80. From time to time, I make the 160 mile round trip to escape the noodlers at my Y.

Thats sounds wonderful. I have a 1 week pass to use up for the Y and I guess I will use it at the downtown branch. I haven`t done any real lap swimming since high school 20 yrs ago and I might look more like a noodler than a swimmer for those first few workouts.:D

gobears
September 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
You just proved their point.

Ah, but am I wrong?! :banana:

I don't mind the "noodlers" much. At most of the pools I frequent, if you are swimming laps the non-swimmers tend to stay out of the way. I think many of the hostile ones do have a bit of swimmer-envy...

thewookiee
September 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thats sounds wonderful. I have a 1 week pass to use up for the Y and I guess I will use it at the downtown branch. I haven`t done any real lap swimming since high school 20 yrs ago and I might look more like a noodler than a swimmer for those first few workouts.:D

Keith, why not join one of the 2 master's practice locations in town? If you don't want to do that, the North River Y is pretty nice too. They have 2 pools as well. One a big lap pool and the other one is a shallower warm water pool.

Ripple
September 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
...The scenerio: 4 lane lap pool. (kept at 85 degrees, because it is to cold for the rudeler noodlers otherwise) 10 minutes until rudelers class starts....

This needs to be nipped in the bud. At my community pool, the aquasizers were getting in 10 minutes early...then 14... then 16... then 20. Finally the lifeguards (we have GREAT lifeguards) told them they had to wait until their class actually began to get in.
Then there was the instructor of the 7:30-8:30 p.m. class who would consistantly let her class run 10 minutes over into the remaining one hour lap swim and shriek like a banshee at any swimmer who dared to climb in on time. Haven't seen her in a while. I think that she - and many other "noodlers" - tend to see the lap swim times as a blank spot on the schedule that hasn't been filled with anything in particular.
You paid just as much for your membership or drop-in as any of them (maybe less, if they're getting a seniors discount) so your lap swim is just as important, even if there are more of them. I suspect it just seems like there are more of them, as they tend to all congregate in the same spot at the same time.

geochuck
September 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Noodlers make workouts interesting.

I do more 1 length sprints when noodlers are around.

Just look before you go. It is like crossing the street. Look to the left, look to the right then to the left and go when it is clear.

ensignada
September 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
What I don't get about my Y is that there is a large bath-water hot pool and another 6 lane lap pool. The lap pool is kept 83-84 degrees because the noodlers...and I quote..."don't want to get wet" in the other pool and don't like swimming with kids. The pool heater was broken for 3 months this summer...it was heavenly.

ddunbar
September 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Left one health club because of the noodlers. They ran their program at 6:15to 7:00 and took 3 of the 5 lanes (the ones with lines) and left an open 25m and a 25 y lane that always stayed open. They hung on & broke lane lines, but needed the deep water instead of the open area. Complaints did not work changing to the club closer to work did not work (they started at 6:00).

I asked about rescheduling the class to a point within the workday since the majority of the noodlers are no longer in the work force. The reason the regional aquatics director gave me was that it was when they could get an instructor there to run the aqua hokey pokey. Lap swimmers had 23 other hours to swim, it did not matter that the lap swimmers were in the working age bracket and could not swim during business hours.

New club had better rules and a colder indoor pool which kept most noodlers in the other pool, but we ran into the other health club problem - the gold chain gang. The hairy sweaty guys that would come out of the sauna or the hot tub and lounge at the end of the pool and talk.

Rodney King
September 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM
People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...Itís just not right. Itís not right. Itís not, itís not going to change anything. Weíll, weíll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, weíre all stuck here for a while. Letís try to work it out. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to work it out.:dedhorse:

scyfreestyler
September 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Awful lot of bitching going on in this thread...sheesh! :)

aquageek
September 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Let's pile on some more. Not only do they make pool swimming unbearable but they take their antics beyond the pool. Their lockerroom behavior borders on fetishism - specific lockers they use, specific sinks and shower stalls not to mention some showering rituals that really shouldn't be done in public. Let me tell you I've about had my fill of seeing grapes hanging out of WWII era grippers that lost their elastic back when Ike was the president.

After their one hour in the locker area they take it out to the lounge area where they frequently fall flat asleep on the chairs or sofas like it's a flop house. IF YOU NEED A NAP AT 7 AM MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T COME TO THE GYM AT 5 AM. God help the minimum wage staff at the front desk if the free coffee runs out.

All of you also need to be on high alert cause they have discovered group exericse programs also. Had one wear ear plugs to spin and yell for the instructor to turn down the music. The instrutor stayed strong and didn't comply, for now.

geochuck
September 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I think you would all be better off to join a master swimming club and forget the lap swims at all the rec centers, health clubs and the Y if you can't handle frustration. Then you have to put up with more frustration, you will never be able to control your workouts with a coach - stupid drills etc. etc. etc. and workouts you do not want to do. Coach tells you to swim breaststroke when you cannot do it without injury, backstroke when you get sea sick doing backstroke, fly when you are not in shape to do it. Asking you to do all kinds of things you are not ready to do. The coach tells you to jump and you will only be able to ask how high.

I will stay at the lap swims where I am in control and put up with the odd noodler or two.

cantwait4bike
September 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
People can be rude in the pool, no question. The best course of action is usually just to swim around them.

not true, the best of course of action is to swim OVER them.

ooooh, unless your from Seattle where it is politically incorrect.

chattcatdaddy
September 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Keith, why not join one of the 2 master's practice locations in town? If you don't want to do that, the North River Y is pretty nice too. They have 2 pools as well. One a big lap pool and the other one is a shallower warm water pool.

Wookie

I looked at the Baylor Masters progam and whats the other one? The Baylor facility is awesome but unfortunatetly my schedule(work 7p-7a) does not work with the lap time schedule and practice sessions. Downtown seems the most compatible with my schedule since I have to go thru downtown to and from work.

thewookiee
September 12th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Wookie

I looked at the Baylor Masters progam and whats the other one? The Baylor facility is awesome.

Well, being a Baylor alum, I will agree. In fact, the guys team was named private school national champions this year.

The other group is at McCallie. M-W-F-S. Organized time is 6-7 am during the week. Usually, the pool is open by 5:30, so a bunch will get in early. And you can stay later than 7 too. Saturdays vary.

mikedilv
September 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I am confident that the majority will always win in a business setting. Utilitarianism comes to mind. Therefore the question is what do we have to do to convert noodlers into swimmers? Let's face it, swimming, once done properly and comfortably, can be a far more rewarding and exciting experience than noodling. How can we introduce, to our club owners, transitional courses offered for free and at times that would work best for noodlers? How can we identify and resolve a noodlers inhibitions concerning swimming? No doubt many of them have been through traditional elementary swim lessons at one point in their life and found them uncomfortable due to progressing too quickly in a very intimidating environment (e.g. face under water greater than 80% of the time over a period of time, choking on inhaled water, "the deep end" fear, etc) It certainly seems to take time to be able to relax and feel safe in a face down position in water. I know this from experience and we have all seen the pool snorklers and those who can do laps of a modified front crawl without getting their hair wet.

Also, look into your local university natatorium open lane hours. They seem to cater to swimmers. Some colleges, high schools, and junior highs do as well. Whatever your faith, you can also look into your local Jewish community centers. They really are open to the community as a whole, as long as you don't do or say anything blatantly disrespectful. The centers are places of education, fitness and community not worship. Some even have lanes open from 5am to 10pm :)

2fish&1whale
September 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
:soapbox:Here we go.....

I use a local Y pool and we have lots of noodlers.
Most use a 2 lane space that is reserved for open swim and they also get a secondary pool for their classes.
What drives me nuts is when I'm in the middle of a workout and someone just gets in with no warning and starts floating or flailing toward me.
I've had a couple of collisions where I did not see the person (foggy goggles,head down)and slammed right into them.
Spooked me pretty good.
The other group that raises grumbling among the lappers is those that get in and walk or just exercise in the deep end of the lane-why do you need a lap lane for that?

Noodlers:
1.pick the lane that has a swimmer in it that matches your speed
2.get the swimmers attention so they know you are there
3.if you are not swimming laps-use the open swim area

Thanks......
</IMG>

Ripple
September 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM
...Therefore the question is what do we have to do to convert noodlers into swimmers? Let's face it, swimming, once done properly and comfortably, can be a far more rewarding and exciting experience than noodling....

This is a good point, but the issue in the pools I swim in is not that they aren't swimming, but that they can't seem to read a schedule. I've never seen a swimmer jump in and start doing laps during "Deep Water Salsa" or "Aquasize" but they seem to think it's okay to enter the pool and do their thing during a time slot that is clearly labelled "LANE SWIM".
No-one minds when the pool isn't crowded, but when it is packed, a person who is just going back and forth in the same spot with her float belt on really creates problems.

mikedilv
September 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7keGEAIlLNg Had to be posted :) "All of you can get a noodle at the drug store when they are in season." "Exhale, exhale, exhale, exhale..." Maybe we can get club owners to make their hot tubs a little deeper. The noodlers would LOVE that! 100+ degrees! Ok, so it's unlikely.

Ok, so they may never convert to swimmers. Vid: Advanced class http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOf68_WJckM

geochuck
September 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Have you ever been to a Noodling Festival http://www.truveo.com/Okie-Noodling-Festival-2007/id/1472394573

Khover2002
September 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
This needs to be nipped in the bud...Then there was the instructor of the 7:30-8:30 p.m. class who would consistantly let her class run 10 minutes over into the remaining one hour lap swim and shriek like a banshee at any swimmer who dared to climb in on time.

I have the same problem with a class running over. The things that really get me are:

1. They are clinging to the side where the lane lines are set up. If they all moved to the other side of the pool [where there is plenty of room], they could run over as much as they wanted to.

2. Lap swim is only 45 minutes long [6:45 to 7:30]. By the time the class finishes running over by 10 minutes, and the noodlers clear the area and we get lane lines put in, we have maybe 25-30 minutes. To add insult to injury, the lifeguards kick us out at 7:30 on the button.

:bitching:

haroldbuck
September 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have the same problem with a class running over. The things that really get me are:

1. They are clinging to the side where the lane lines are set up. If they all moved to the other side of the pool [where there is plenty of room], they could run over as much as they wanted to.

2. Lap swim is only 45 minutes long [6:45 to 7:30]. By the time the class finishes running over by 10 minutes, and the noodlers clear the area and we get lane lines put in, we have maybe 25-30 minutes. To add insult to injury, the lifeguards kick us out at 7:30 on the button.

:bitching:

Talk to pool management and ask that if they're going to kick you out at precisely 7:30, then they should let you start swimming at precisely 6:45 and they should get the noodlers out and the lane lines set up by 6:45. Also point out that 45 minutes is laughably short for a good swim workout!

aquageek
September 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Also point out that 45 minutes is laughably short for a good swim workout!

Might want to check that with Jazzy. 45 minutes total is 10 months of workouts for him.

mikedilv
September 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Might want to check that with Jazzy. 45 minutes total is 10 months of workouts for him.
Aquageek, I love your profile page, "Thank you for stopping by my personal page, now beat it, stalker!" But even better than that are the automated statistics: Join date 2002, total posts 3,924, Friends "Aquageek has not made any friends yet." Six years and over 3000 posts and no friends? That has to be a record, hehe. Maybe Jazzy will swim with you if you will be nice. He may even let you Noodle train in his lane! (JK)

haroldbuck
September 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Friends? How many of us have them? Friends? Ones we can depend on? Let's be friends . . .:bliss:

SaltySwimmer
September 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I am almost reluctant to post this "Noodling story" because I had all but blocked it from my memory. I was swimming laps at a local Y at the same time some noodlers were having a class on the other side of the pool. I was in the last lane reserved for lap swimmers, and directly on the other side of my lane line were the noodlers. I was doing a 100 free when, unbeknownst to me, a rather obese noodler had decided to hang backwards on the lane line, with his feet curled backward into my lane. I guess I had good form that day, because I had absolutely no idea that his gnarly, calloused, feet were in my lane. I swam directly over his feet, and I kid you not, my nose passed no less than two inches over his big toe.
:eek:
Disgusting.

pwolf66
September 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Salty: :eeew:

scyfreestyler
September 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
How about we ban all non masters swimmers from our pools and raise our own dues accordingly to compensate for the lost revenue? :)

elise526
September 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I actually read a Department of Energy study that states, in heating pools, for each degree over 80 degrees, the cost goes up 10%. So, if pools were kept at 80 the way we lap swimmers like it, it would not cost as much. By giving into the noodlers, pools are having to pay high utility bills, not to mention having to buy more noodles.

Lap swimmers/masters swimmers are low-maintenance. With the added heating costs for both the water and the air, the cost of noodles, and the need to fru-fru up the locker rooms, I'm not so sure much money would be lost if the noodling crowd stopped coming because of normal (80 degrees) water temps.

geochuck
September 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Elise526

The attendence would drop it would take less chemicals to keep it clean. There would be no more noodlers. They would have to close the pool. No money to operate. Therefore it would be death to lap swimmers, noodlers and most learn to swim programs.

USMSarah
September 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
At a pool I worked at a while back, some noodlers complained on a daily basis about the temperature of the pool... it was a tad colder than normal for a while because the heater had broke - they said over and over again that it was some kind of conspiracy. I wanted to laugh, but they would never believe me when I would tell them what happened.

These were the same noodlers who complained about getting splashed when they are in the pool. I absolutely cannot stand that... you are in the WATER, you are going to get WET!

:frustrated:

I don't go to lap swims anymore... masters teams all the way!!!

haroldbuck
September 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Elise526

The attendence would drop it would take less chemicals to keep it clean. There would be no more noodlers. They would have to close the pool. No money to operate. Therefore it would be death to lap swimmers, noodlers and most learn to swim programs.

This is making no sense to me at all. There are plenty of pools that function without noodlers.

elise526
September 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM
At a pool I worked at a while back, some noodlers complained on a daily basis about the temperature of the pool... it was a tad colder than normal for a while because the heater had broke - they said over and over again that it was some kind of conspiracy. I wanted to laugh, but they would never believe me when I would tell them what happened.

These were the same noodlers who complained about getting splashed when they are in the pool. I absolutely cannot stand that... you are in the WATER, you are going to get WET!

:frustrated:

I don't go to lap swims anymore... masters teams all the way!!!

Now, that is downright funny about the conspiracy! :rofl: A few years ago, we were forbidden from doing butterfly during morning lap swim because some ladies complained it got their hair wet.

cwilson
September 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Wow...I am so glad we have a pool that keeps several lanes closed to non lap swimmers (and they actually strongly reinforce it). It helps that the Athletic Director is a former collegiate swimmer.

I can't see any lap swimmer having to share a lane with anyone who is not actually lap swimming.

I guess I'm spoiled because we don't have to deal with that.

In the summer, the outdoor pool attracts many hormonal teens who sometimes slip in the door, but when they get caught, they get banned from the pool for a week.

haroldbuck
September 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
In the summer, the outdoor pool attracts many hormonal teens who sometimes slip in the door, but when they get caught, they get banned from the pool for a week.

I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what these hormonal teens are sneaking into the lap pool to do!

(I mean, I can think of one thing, but it would be dramatically obvious to anyone else in the pool what they were doing. And it would be worth getting banned from the pool for a week!)

USMSarah
September 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Now, that is downright funny about the conspiracy! :rofl: A few years ago, we were forbidden from doing butterfly during morning lap swim because some ladies complained it got their hair wet.

Forbidden? I'd say, give me my money back!

It was pretty darn funny everytime they would say it - they even said the same thing as they went over our heads in the aquatic department. It was hard for me to keep a straight face after I figured out that they weren't joking. It was classic.

DolphinGirl
September 17th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Right now I'm stuck doing lap swimming until our new team practices officially start in a couple of weeks (can't come too soon for me!) The noodlers last night were okay, my gripe is the out of control kids who were jumping off the diving blocks into lanes where people were trying to lap swim. To the club's credit, they did respond when I talked to someone, but I still left muttering to myself "I can't wait for practice to start again"

MindTrikSwimmer
September 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
LUCKILY the noodlers keep to ONE of the pools most of the time....they have it like 84 degrees in that pool...its consistently 80 degrees in the lap pool...which is too cold for noodles :)...I DID see a noodler get lost in the lap pool last week...she was just sitting on her noodle...floating in the middle of a lane...in the sun that was coming thru the sun roof....I just laughed.

Khover2002
September 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I can't see any lap swimmer having to share a lane with anyone who is not actually lap swimming.

Yesterday I actually saw a girl practicing handstands in the water in a lap lane. I think some people see lap lanes as a sort of fence to keep other people away from them in the water so they can do whatever they please. Kind of like "This is my bit of pool. Go get your own!"

The Fortress
September 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yesterday I actually saw a girl practicing handstands in the water in a lap lane. I think some people see lap lanes as a sort of fence to keep other people away from them in the water so they can do whatever they please. Kind of like "This is my bit of pool. Go get your own!"

I kick kids out of lap swim lanes all the time.

moodyrichardson
September 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Speaking of kids and kicking, this past summer I was swimming laps in the outdoor pool (they only have 2 lanes outdoors). All the sudden about 50 kids show up for a birthday party. Right next to one of the lap lanes, there is a ramp into the shallow end with a steel handrailing. While I was doing freestyle one of the kids climbs up on the handrails and jumps into my lap lane, landing with his knee in the middle of my back. If he just hadn't knocked the breath out of me, I would have strangled him on the spot!

ViveBene
September 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I kick kids out of lap swim lanes all the time.

Yes - major policing actions. I do it just like the Chicago cops getting teens off the sidewalk. "Family swim is on that side, have a good swim." Huge false smile from me to head off any discussion.

I have often thought of getting a couple of standup signs, like caution signs for holes in the sidewalk, and putting one at each of the the lane: Reserved.

:joker:

geochuck
September 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have often thought of getting a couple of standup signs, like caution signs for holes in the sidewalk, and putting one at each of the the lane: Reserved.

:joker:

Exactly what our pool has, Fast lane, cicuit lane, and slow lane. The only trouble is that people cannot read.

3strokes
September 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Exactly what our pool has, Fast lane, cicuit lane, and slow lane. The only trouble is that people cannot read.

One of our pools even caters to over-inflated egos.
Lanes are
Fast
Medium Fast
Medium
(Leisure for noodlers and stand-arounds-chatting)

No "slow" lane and yet everyone thinks they're F@st.

(Or else, as George suggests, they can't even read and understand
a four-letter word that starts with "F" followed by a vowel and two consonants.)

Hoosier
April 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I cant resist this one... recently doing a set of 75's which therfore require me to stop at the end of the pool most heavily populated with Noodlers. During my stops at that end, become nauseated from heavy perfume on surface of water. Just wondering...who says to themselves,"Suit, check, tennis shoes, check, noodle, check, perfume, check...ready to go."?

Dacsus65
April 13th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The community pool in my town, now the Y, refused to allow lane lines unless their swim team was practicing. I even offered to string and unstring one for myself and was told "it's too much trouble". It was like swimming in open water with the waves and swells in the pool.

Now I'm swimming at another pool 30 minutes away which has Masters. Still it would be nice to be able to walk 5 minutes to the nearer pool without frustration as opposed to driving 30 minutes each way

srcoyote
April 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Now I see noodlers and slack lane lines a good opportunity to train for open water. There's one class that turns the pool into a veritable washing machine. I'm convinced I could swim along the North Shore after that.

Cmonster
April 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I absolutely love this thread. I swimin the morning right as the pool opens because I need to be out of the water by 7:15. There is always a line outside of the rec center when i show up. As soon as the door opens these people are squeezing 3 at time through the door to run to the pool. clothes flying, some people put their caps on in the lobby and have all the pool equipment under their arms ready to run. So here's the funny part...does it really take fins,paddles,cloth swim cap, and scuba mask to side stroke for 20 minutes in the morning? They get so mad when I make them share a lane with me. they even call me a pool hog because i swim 5-8k in the mornings. nothing like an aqua jogger that insists on using the lap pool over the warm play pool that is 10 degrees warmer then, complain the theres too much splashing and the lap pool is too cold at 82.

well that feels better.:agree:

Dolphin 2
April 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Hoosier
With all the shootings that have been going on lately, when I see a post titled “Death to all Noodlers” on a swimming discussion board, it’s good to know that it's extremely difficult to fire a hand gun while submerged and the bullets won't have enough muzzle velocity to inflict serious injury to anyone in the pool!!! :bolt:

http://www.dlsports.com/underwater_handgun_shooting.html

Dolphin 2

smontanaro
April 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
You obviously didn't watch Sea Hunt as a kid. You couldn't really consider it an actual episode if Lloyd Bridges didn't nail a bad guy with a spear gun. :)

Allen Stark
April 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I cant resist this one... recently doing a set of 75's which therfore require me to stop at the end of the pool most heavily populated with Noodlers. During my stops at that end, become nauseated from heavy perfume on surface of water. Just wondering...who says to themselves,"Suit, check, tennis shoes, check, noodle, check, perfume, check...ready to go."?

Oh yes!!!There is this one woman who is in charge of the class and when she walks onto the pool deck I start to gag from the fumes.She comes in 20 min before the class to set up,it is very annoying.

nkfrench
April 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I wish there was a rule banning anyone from wearing Polo near the pool premises. it seems to be the strongest scent product I've encountered yet. It's definitely headache-producing for somebody who actually ... swims ... in the swimming pool. Normally I like the smell OK but it just intensifies too much for somebody who gets sweaty lifting weights or other dryland workout, then gets into the pool to relax.

art_z
April 13th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I had an older lady ask me today "Why do you need to splash like that when you swim. I was not taught to swim that way". And then she proceeds to show me her "stroke".

I don't get it. If you are afraid of getting wet, why are you in a pool, let alone in a lap lane?

Peter Cruise
April 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
As I just referenced the Borat-style swimsuit in another thread, it occurs to me that wearing one and enthusiastically joining the the noodlers for a moment could well clear them from the pool.

Ripple
April 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM
It's funny to see how the ads at the top of the page change to suit the thread topic. Before I logged in there was one for a "Catfish noodling weapon", which has now vanished. Was it a fierce trained attack catfish that eats noodles? I'll have to click on it next time to find out.
On Sunday my usual pools were closed so I went to the Talisman Center, where as luck would have it a 50m pool was available. :applaud:
The other 50m pool was divided with a bulkhead, making three, count em, three pools for lap swimming. So a lady with perfectly coiffed dry hair passes up the two easy 25m pools and joins my lane in the 50, doing a dog paddle/breast stroke hybrid. She wasn't in my way, but I found it baffling that she'd choose to share a longer lane with people who were passing her every three or four laps. In the case of the very quick young swimmer who was doing intervals in the lane, every two laps. :confused:

mctrusty
April 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
It's funny to see how the ads at the top of the page change to suit the thread topic. Before I logged in there was one for a "Catfish noodling weapon", which has now vanished. Was it a fierce trained attack catfish that eats noodles? I'll have to click on it next time to find out.

Funny you should mention catfish noodling. I just found out yesterday that some of my relatives (through marriage) has some experience with this.

YouTube - Catfish Noodling

The guys in the video are cheating, though. They're using rubber gloves and sleeves. I was under the impression that it involved bare arms and copious amounts of whiskey.

2fish&1whale
April 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I had an older lady ask me today "Why do you need to splash like that when you swim. I was not taught to swim that way". And then she proceeds to show me her "stroke".

I don't get it. If you are afraid of getting wet, why are you in a pool, let alone in a lap lane?

I had a lady tell me the other day -after she got in MY LAP lane and I stopped in the middle of a set so she could cross to an empty lane-that i should move because she was not going to get her hair wet trying to do it herself and she was only going to walk anyhow.

All i had was -suit yourself-and I proceeded to work real hard on my drills with lots of arm splashing and i even used my fins for some extra splashing. I got myself good and tired and the lady wet.

Cmonster
April 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I am going to complain because I have nothing else to b*tch about today. What's with the old men and the powder all over the locker room? I bet we have the worse locker room set up possible too. it's layed out where once you shower you walk through the changing area to the pool. so all that powder on the floor is now paste.
And why does the pool maintenace guy still wear coolwater? I can taste it it in the air. That's it. nothing important...

Guvnah
April 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Are we talking about (what I call) the "manatees" here? :)

The thing about a lap swimmer is that he wants to go in as straight a line as possible. And any respectable lap swimming REQUIRES by definition that it goes from one end to the other.

A noodler (or a manatee or a floating cadaver or whatever else you want to call it) only requires its immediate surrounding. Perhaps a 3-foot-square area, although that area does drift around as the noodler drifts, and it does not require any line or path to speak of. Thus, noodling and lap swimming are counter utilitarian in the pool and should be kept separated by a lane line.

I think my most noteworthy noodler memory was the time a pod of manatees started up their class (they took FOUR of the six lanes in the pool, so the all the lap swimmers had to circle in the remailing two lanes.) They started up with "warm ups" where they stood in the shallow end with a noodle between their legs - half up the front off their bodies, half up the back. One lady was so, uh... , portly ... that the noodle up her back literally DISAPPEARED in her butt crack. I'm not sure if I gasped in disgust or laughter, but I swallowed an unexpected gulp of water upon the sight. I made sure I breathed to the opposite side from that sight for the rest of the workout.

spell_me
April 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
By nature, I'm a very patient, friendly, mild-mannered, slow-to-anger type of person, and let me tell you, a couple of times noodlers have incited me to complete rage... I mean to a total internal freak-out! That's why I love the title of this thread ("Death to all Noodlers"), because I have definitely felt that way.

Once a noodle teacher put some of her classmembers in the reserved "lap" lane (even though it looked to me like there was plenty of pool space left), and she told me that I could swim around them. Well, ok. That was a challenge, but I made it work, and I really tried my utmost to be considerate and non-splashy. But when I was barely warmed up, and just starting the meat-and-potatoes of my workout, she told me I needed to stop because the class was going to do some exercises where they'd be on their backs, and the splashes from lap swimming could endanger them. This sounds totally absurd to me! Anyway, since then, I've been stupid enough to not be finished with my workout before this particular noodle class gets to the pool, and it's been made clear that this woman and her class will not share the pool with lap swimmers, period. This makes me so livid! I'll share a lane with anyone, any time, and make it work--we're all there to get a workout---so why can't they share, too? It offends me deeply to have to surrender the pool space to these people, most of whom--it seems to me-- are just bouncing around in the water, and aren't exerting themselves enough to be even a little bit winded. The proof is in the pudding: their arms and legs look just as flabby as they did 8 weeks ago.

I've worked hard to overcome my "Sink The Turtles!" feelings by reaching out and befriending some noodlers. I even did a noodle class(NOT with that same teacher! The class I attended had a different vibe). Some of the exercises were very challenging. I learned a few things that I've used on my own since.

I can't paint noodlers with a broad brush. Although the majority seem to me to be a bunch of flabby people bouncing in the water and calling it exercise, I admit there are some that really apply themselves, and that really have gotten results. I've befriended some of the serious ones and some of the flabbos, too, and it has paid off for me in that on days when I've arrived at the pool and it's super busy, they've invited me to share their lane.

CreamPuff
April 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Okay, I've not read through this entire thread as it's too long for me. Sorry if this has already been stated (most likely it has). I finally saw a woman @ my gym over the weekend swimming multiple laps with her reading glasses on. Basically it was water polo free with her head fully out of the water - and glasses on. Classic!

marksman
April 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
It's not that we have anything personal against the noodlers.

What is so unfortunate and aggravating is that, while all 10 of them could *easily* fit lengthwise into a single lane...they instead demand 3-4 lanes, so that they can form a circle in the middle of the pool. This leaves most of that space completely unoccupied, a sort of "dead zone". It's just a very inefficient way to utilize a modern lap pool.

The next time they do this, and the lap lanes are full, I'm going to work on my vertical dolphin kick in the dead zone.

Karen Duggan
April 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
The darndest thing happened to me last year. Noodlers were taking up all the lanes like mentioned in above post. They even asked me to move to the wall lane of a very narrow pool. Very begrudgingly I moved.

Do you know that my fly stroke just went to he!!? I couldn't get both arms to enter simultaneously in front of my head, extended. Depending on the direction I was going one arm would always enter, bent, and my hand would make a weird crossways movement (like a splash almost).

The noodlers were very upset that their hair got wet. So I very calmly explained to them that they should get out of the POOL if they didn't want to get wet.

They are a breed that needs to face extinction ; ]

scyfreestyler
April 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Karen,

Speaking of noodlers, did you happen to see the relay this Sunday in which the swimmers were wearing the flowery "noodler" type swim caps? I don't recall what team they were with...perhaps yours?

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3468992p275w.jpg

Chicken of the Sea
April 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
I've probably already complained about this, but once the noodle class closed my lap while I was still swimming (about 10 minutes before the class was due to start).
There I was, swimming away, when I was suddenly trapped between the lanelines. They'd just pushed it over until I couldn't swim any more.

gigi
April 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Do you know that my fly stroke just went to he!!? I couldn't get both arms to enter simultaneously in front of my head, extended. Depending on the direction I was going one arm would always enter, bent, and my hand would make a weird crossways movement (like a splash almost).

Ha! Priceless!
Noodle-induced stroke failure...

spell_me
April 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've probably already complained about this, but once the noodle class closed my lap while I was still swimming (about 10 minutes before the class was due to start).
There I was, swimming away, when I was suddenly trapped between the lanelines. They'd just pushed it over until I couldn't swim any more.

One of the Noodle classes at my pool has started doing something like this systematically 5 to 10 minutes before every class to clear out all lap swimmers. Then they will say something like, "Oh! It isn't 9 yet, you still have 5 minutes left!" and then get out of the way until class starts, then they disrupt any remaining swimmers again. I think they have it down to a well-rehearsed routine because I've had it done to me (there I was, swimming a tough fly set, and all of a sudden, a lane line and a small pack of rabid bloated women are in front of me!), and I've watched it be done to others a few times now. Pisses me off, because you are supposed to be able to swim laps during classes. I've considered fighting this out and bringing it up with the management. Anything that makes me as mad as this has, is just the sort of thing I tend to stand up against. But for now, I don't want to swim upstream on this. It's a total of two hours out of the whole week, day or night, that it makes the pool off limits for me-- whereas I used to struggle to work out at a pool that was hardly ever open. Even though it looks like a waste of time to me, these gals really love coming to this class, and belonging to their group. For now, they've successfully bossed cute little me right out of the pool.

Peter Cruise
April 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
These bobbing nazis must be hoisted upon their collective petards! Such bullying tactics employed to merely imitate a kelp bed rolling in a gentle surf; egad, such tactics demand the harshest of countermeasures...I shall employ hordes of triathletes wearing paddles and all other possible equipment to practise mass starts amongst the nasty noodlers. That'll clear the pool...

Allen Stark
April 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
These bobbing nazis must be hoisted upon their collective petards! Such bullying tactics employed to merely imitate a kelp bed rolling in a gentle surf; egad, such tactics demand the harshest of countermeasures...I shall employ hordes of triathletes wearing paddles and all other possible equipment to practise mass starts amongst the nasty noodlers. That'll clear the pool...

Triathletes vs noodlers in a deathmatch.I'd pay to see that.

Donna
April 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Similar situation occured at my Y between my swim team kids and the noodlers. When it was brought to our attention that there was no charge for the noodlers class while my kids parents were paying $45 per month. We won the battle but had to give up one lane to lap swimmers when they show.

I usually put my masters swimmers in with the lap swimmers when I can. There is one guy who I swear just barely floats along, I wouldn't call it lap swimming by any means. Luckly he shows up at the very end of our practices and I try to encourage him to wait till we are done. My team would CLOBBER him!

elise526
April 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
The noodlers can be very nice if you get on their good side. Yesterday, fom 6 to 7, the pool was supposed to be used by just the water aerobics class. Lap swim goes until 6 and I was not done. At the instructor's request, she asked the lifeguards to leave a lane in for me. I didn't even ask her to do it!

It seems that if you get in good with the leader, the others will make room.

nkfrench
April 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
My "plan B" pool simply disallows ANY other use of the pool during Noodle Class to eliminate friction. That's during 6-7PM on Tu-Th and 9-10AM on Sat, prime time. It takes a while for the noodlers and their cologne/etc odors to clear out. So if I end up swimming at "plan B", I try to go early morning.

I got in with the class a couple of times rather than just sitting on the deck sulking until I could swim. While the manatees were friendly and welcoming, I found the activity (or lack of) completely unchallenging and a waste of my time.

It was hard for me to behave nicely when some introduced themselves and advised me that "it's pretty tough but I'd get used to it quickly." I guess that was because I was scowling the entire time wishing I could swim instead. My attitude just kept getting worse.

Some of the participants were really out of condition and it was probably the most rigorous activity they would be cleared to participate in. It has its place for medical / geriatric cases. It was better than having them just sit on the couch watching TV. But, please, a lot of these folks probably don't have jobs -- couldn't the class be offered at a different time ?

Oh yeah - it highly annoys me when I show up 6AM and find that the deck and pool lanes still have noodles strewn about. The manatees can't even pick them up after their class.

Donna
April 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
The funniest thing I saw at the aquatic center was all these noodlers trying to do their workout to loose weight and then after workout they go eat a Frosty at Wendy's! Kind of defeats the purpose don't you think!

smontanaro
April 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
... and then after workout they go eat a Frosty at Wendy's! Kind of defeats the purpose don't you think!

Only in a quantitative way. One reason I work out is so I don't have to figure out how to develop will power and eat less. Now I probably burn more calories in a workout than your noodlers, but the concept is the same. Today, for example, I rode my bike to work for the first time since last fall (about an hour each way). I had the opportunity to eat a slice of chocolate creme pie at work today. I took advantage of that without batting an eye. :)

Skip

spell_me
April 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Skip, you probably burn more calories in a workout than these ladies burn in five. And for most of them, Noodle Class the biggest activity they get all week. Ideas like biking to work are not part of their world.

nkfrench
April 22nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
The funniest thing I saw at the aquatic center was all these noodlers trying to do their workout to loose weight and then after workout they go eat a Frosty at Wendy's!

Gosh, noodling in that warm pool would make anyone want to go get something cold to help cool off. Besides, chocolate milk is a perfect recovery food and it's about the same as a Frosty, right? An original Wendy's chocolate frosty, jr sized, is only 160 calories.

However, even better tasting is a Large frosty (530) or M&M Twisted frosty (560), excellent with large French fries (550) and a Coke chaser (270). Whoops, there we are with 1350 kcals. I leave out the ketchup packets since they are full of sugar.

No slam intended against Wendy's in particular; I think any fast food restaurant near the pool will get business after the Manatee session.

The classes at the pool I disparage also have a fair number of male noodlers. Some are just overweight; others have cardiac or orthopedic problems. Some of them were there to meet & greet the bathing beauties (hence: the Polo problem).

Fresnoid
April 23rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
Only in a quantitative way. One reason I work out is so I don't have to figure out how to develop will power and eat less. Now I probably burn more calories in a workout than your noodlers, but the concept is the same. Today, for example, I rode my bike to work for the first time since last fall (about an hour each way). I had the opportunity to eat a slice of chocolate creme pie at work today. I took advantage of that without batting an eye. :)

Skip

The primary reason I work out is because I so enjoy recreational eating. Even when on hiatus from swimming (9 years once, 14 years this time) I kept running and hitting the gym so I could EAT.

Cmonster
April 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Triathletes vs noodlers in a deathmatch.I'd pay to see that.

However, there is an issue here. A noodler is just a pathetic attempt at lazy fitness. A Tri-ATHLETE is self explanatory.

BTW-triathletes who grew up swimming use almost no equipment except pullbouy and occasional kick board.

Bobinator
April 24th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Well at least they are trying something!
Chances are if you could strap a heart rate moniter on most noodlers you would probably be surprised to find they are in their target heart rate zone.
Years ago when I started using HRM's in my PE classes I was shocked to find most of the over-weight kids who I thought were lazy and not working hard were really working as hard as they should have been working. Some of the trained or more gifted students were actually the slackers...their heart rates were low even though they were participating very actively. Sometimes the truth isn't what it looks like it should be.
Give the poor noodlers a break and try to be their friend. They are probably in awe of your mad skills and would be flattered if you talked to them. :angel:

ViveBene
April 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks for this observation, Bobinator. I am a slow swimmer (but not a noodler!) whose heart works hard.

Cmonster
April 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I typically hit my target HR when the woman's team is doing dryland :applaud:

scottm9171
April 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'm currently recovering from an injury due to a Noodler who was not paying attention. At my gym, I only run into them on the weekends - during the week, I'm there @ 5am, long before they are stirring. On the weekends, the gym does not open until 8am, and they have a noodle class @ 9:30am. This should not pose a problem, except that they all get into the pool about 30 minutes before the workout starts...and stand around chatting and watching me swim. This past sunday, one of them was crossing my lane (I was not aware of this) - waited until I was doing a flip turn, and came into my lane about 4 yards from the wall. I saw her at the last second, pulled up (and sideways) to avoid hitting her and scraped my forehead HARD on the lane line (that was a first - fingers, arms...sure - but not my forehead). I stopped and stood up, she apologized and then said, "your head is bleeding". I got out of the pool and...sure enough, I had blood dripping down my face. I now have a mark that looks like Mikhail Gorbachev's mark but dead center on my forehead. :cane: In hindsight, I should have held the SDK right into her...

Donna
April 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I typically hit my target HR when the woman's team is doing dryland :applaud:

I hit my target HR during that rendition of YMCA at Nationals last week!!! Anyone who was there knows what I am refering to.

swimmieAvsFan
April 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I hit my target HR during that rendition of YMCA at Nationals last week!!! Anyone who was there knows what I am refering to.

from laughing so hard or from participating?
;)

cjquill
April 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
By any chance are you referring to the MOO contingent? I had noticed their spotted swimwear but didn't see the full name until later (Masters of Orlando). What a hoot!

For those of you who were unable to attend, three well muscled male swimmers donned appropriate Village People headgear and assisted the Maryland team in singing the YMCA song. Additionally "Esther Williams" and "Michael Phelps" joined in the festivities, Esther with a aqua ballet routine.

Karen Duggan
April 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM
and Michael with a bong?
Sorry, bad Karen, bad. :D
I couldn't resist.

Cmonster
April 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
and Michael with a bong?
Sorry, bad Karen, bad. :D
I couldn't resist.

c'mon. Let the dead horse be.

Karen Duggan
April 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Neigh.
:lmao:

Guvnah
April 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
There are multiple YMCAs in my town. At the downtown Y the noodlers use the "instructional pool" (the warmer, smaller pool) and the lap pool is left a little cooler and always have lane lines for lap swimmers. It's too bad that it's one of the farther ones for me to drive to. But it's refreshing when I do.

When I swim there, the end of my workout often coincides with the "cool-down" portion of the noodlers' class. As I walk past them, they're all floating on their backs, eyes closed, with a noodle behind their necks (and for some, another behind their waists.) They're all just floating there, arms extended, eyes shut, motionless except for subtle bobbing due to the ripples of waves in the pool.

And each time I can't help but think of various WWII movies when they show the dead bodies floating in the surf after the beach assault.

3strokes
April 28th, 2009, 11:42 PM
When I swim there, the end of my workout often coincides with the "cool-down" portion of the noodlers' class. As I walk past them, they're all floating on their backs, eyes closed, with a noodle behind their necks (and for some, another behind their waists.) They're all just floating there, arms extended, eyes shut, motionless except for subtle bobbing due to the ripples of waves in the pool.

And don't you just wish that you had a handful of piranhas to throw in?

Guvnah
April 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
And don't you just wish that you had a handful of piranhas to throw in?

Know what? I'd like to toss in just a single frog.

They'd all get more exercise in that brief panic-exit than they did their entire "workout" that day. (A person doesn't burn off many calories by talking...)

Faded_Memories
October 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Know what? I'd like to toss in just a single frog.
)

And what exactly is the frog being punished for?

Nobody's noodled in my lane yet.

I have to wonder why they bother. I've been swimming off and on since Feb, and 3-6 days a week for the last 6 weeks or so. I've lost over 30 pounds since I started, and I bet some of the noodlers would be lucky to have shed 2#.

Every day I see somebody floating there and I think they are wasting their time. The women anyways. Hanging ouy but not so much on the exercising part.

There is a large dude in the pool a lot, and I don't think I've seen him with a noodle, and he does laps. Slowly and surely, but ALWAYS moving. In fact, I think he's doing more over time.

Noodle perchers I think are just socializing, but my experience is that they stick to the open swim deep end out of the way. Guess I'm lucky.

Now if I get just get them to stop running the heaters while I'm trying to swim.

Hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, flip, repeat. Pick one already.

-eric

spell_me
October 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
And what exactly is the frog being punished for?

I have to wonder why they bother. I've been swimming off and on since Feb, and 3-6 days a week for the last 6 weeks or so. I've lost over 30 pounds since I started, and I bet some of the noodlers would be lucky to have shed 2#.

Every day I see somebody floating there and I think they are wasting their time. The women anyways. Hanging ouy but not so much on the exercising part.

There is a large dude in the pool a lot, and I don't think I've seen him with a noodle, and he does laps. Slowly and surely, but ALWAYS moving. In fact, I think he's doing more over time.

Noodle perchers I think are just socializing, but my experience is that they stick to the open swim deep end out of the way. Guess I'm lucky.

Now if I get just get them to stop running the heaters while I'm trying to swim.

Hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, flip, repeat. Pick one already.

-eric

30 lbs!!! That's excellent! Way to go!

I avoid my pool now when they have noodle classes, but a couple of weeks ago I came to swim just after they finished. I hadn't seen them in months. There were a few new faces there, but I tell ya, the "regulars" looked exactly like they did the last time I saw them. No change at all, no thinner, no muscle tone. When I see individual noodlers in the pool while I'm swimming, they rarely seem to be exerting themselves. I often think how much better off they'd be if they just picked up a kickboard and kicked some laps. And as a matter of fact, several lap swimmers I've chatted with lately have mentioned to me that they've been losing weight since they started--one lost 21 lbs, another has lost 10, and I forget some of the others. These folks aren't very fast in the pool and their strokes leave a lot to be desired, but they're getting results.

AnneFrayne
October 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Years ago, I swam in a 6-lane 25 m. pool - no lane lines- and usually I was the only lap swimmer. I was about 6-7 months pregnant and finishing up my set. Two noodlers - a senior man and a senior woman - got in the pool and stood right at the end of my lane so I couldn't finish or flip my turn. WELLLLLLL....... I was pregnant, hormones were raging, I was tired, and I flipped my turn right on them! And I got a strong push off>>>>> They complained to the lifeguard, who was laughing fairly hysterically. The lifeguard told them to use the rest of the pool. They complained about every day after that, BUT, they stayed out of my lane.

Figure out a way to hurt the noodlers ( other than death). They will stay out of your lane.

Handpaddles with force might work!

Hoosier
October 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
No need to get really physical...once my daughter and I were swimming sharing a lane in a four lane pool...only us swimming...noodler class starting in a half hour...8 or 9 noodlers present...guess where? right on the edge of our lane, sometimes in our lane, standing there talking waiting for class, occassionally reaching out with a styrofoam dumbell... My daughter says "I got it" proceeds down the lane with the most violent splashing fly I have ever seen.... They promptly moved over.... :)

joel schmaltz
October 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
You can always practice your starts if they are crowding your space. That will always get them going. They don't care for the "cold" water splashing on thier hair. Maybe I am talking about the deep water classes I encounter. Same difference isn't it?

humanpunchingbag
October 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Not to be too philosophical about all this, but the "noodle" fitness movement is just another example of the ongoing re-definition of fitness throughout North America. We are all getting vastly overweight and underfit. We cannot bring ourselves to see it, either in ourselves or our children, so we redefine what physical fitness really means.

It's the old schoolyard rule: if you are losing the game, grab your marbles, run home crying, and play a game you know you can win because you set the rules yourself.

If your kid is a lard-ass, call him "big-boned and bulked-up". If your own weight is more appropriate for a pygmy hippo, then take up a fitness program for that exact body type: floating around,doing little or nothing, and periodically pooping to keep the ecosystem fertile and viable.

There is a reason that the average North American is considered nauseatingly obese by the rest of the world. Noodling is just a symptom of the ongoing effort to accept our obesity and protect our all important self esteem.

Self esteem is highly over-rated.

selkie
October 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
My daughter says "I got it" proceeds down the lane with the most violent splashing fly I have ever seen.... They promptly moved over.... :)

And they say we aren't raising the next generation properly:)

FireRox21
October 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Aquageek = Always funny!

I have actually conquered the noodlers at my local pool! You see, I AM A NOODLER!!! Let me 'splain. When I first started back into the pool a year ago, I started in the aqua aerobics class. I hadn't done any exercise in a while and with my rheumatoid arthritis, lifting weights and treadmills were not the way to go. I warmed up with a 200 in a lane, then grabbed my "weights" and joined the class.

Now, the noodlers were quite confused. You could see the looks on their faces as to why was a swimmer taking "their" class. At first, they NEVER cleared a lane for me to warm up and I constantly had to kick hard and violently splash to get them to move. I was baraged with dirty looks and constant complaints that I was "getting their hair wet". They also could never understand how I could rinse off, apply my cap and goggles and dive right in and swim. I never had to "adjust" to the water temp. (I am lucky that the thermometer of the pool is broken and always reads 85 when it is really more like 75).

Now, I am the lane line conquistadora. When the noodlers see me walk into the pool area, a lane is cleared for me to warm up in. I also pull and reset the lane lines before and after the class. During the class, I have my own "space". As I am in the class to boost cardio, I am in constant motion and splash A LOT. The newbies to the class often learn the hard way as to my routine, but sometimes are forwarned by the other noodlers. Also, the noodlers know to NOT EVEN TRY to get in my lane after the class to continue their noodling. I have another 2000yds to swim after class and slowing down or stopping is not an option.

Oh, and anyone, and I mean ANYONE who sits, lays, or stands on a lane line gets my wrath. Kids, newbs, noodlers, anyone, because when a lane line breaks at my gym, it will be at least three months before it's fixed and if I wanted open water training I'd make the 50 mile drive to the beach!!!

So, long story short, I arrived, I splashed, and I CONQUERED!!!

Happy Columbus Day! :wave:

geochuck
October 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I wish everyone who complains about noodlers would leave them alone. I think that this year I am going to join the noodlers. Why should I be a lap swimmer when the noodlers actually rule the pools. If I become a noodler I will try and ban lap swimmers.

I think I will call the Noodler Cllub The West Coast Noodlers do you think this club will be regulated by FINA. Do you think FINA will impose rules on the size of the Noodle? Come on everybody join the The West Coast Noodlers and be in charge of all swim hours.

__steve__
October 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
In that case would swimming with a pull bouy actually be a very advanced form of noodling?

I don't know if it's the noodlers or not, but some group is peeing in the pool. I know from the sudden change in water turbidity (ammounia + chlorine = gas) and the characteristic odor. I just suspect the noodle class since they stay in the pool for hours with coffee mugs on the side, without getting out once. Seems getting out the pool might push them into anerobic threashold.

notsofast
October 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You guys have some amazing stories to tell.

Leonard Jansen
October 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I've changed my mind a bit on this. This AM some noodlers arrived at the Y pool and they were ALL very attractive, fit women in a range of ages. It was quite pleasant and made my workout go faster. Not sure if this was just some odd statistical glitch or they are going to be regulars, but they can definitely have a lane.

-LBJ

Allen Stark
October 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM

While a Bloat of Noodlers is acceptable,I believe the proper collective noun is a Lard of Noodlers.
Also what's with the hairspray and perfume.The water is literally oily when they are in the pool and I can barely breathe.

pwolf66
October 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
made my workout go faster

Huh? faster as in time flew by or faster as in you worked harder to try and show off?

knelson
October 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
You can always practice your starts if they are crowding your space. That will always get them going. They don't care for the "cold" water splashing on thier hair.

I can't believe you would resort to these kind of tactics Joel! :)

By the way, after I swam this past Sunday the locker room was very cold and I had a Sexton flashback. Remember how cold that locker room was?

[Joel and I swam together in high school]

jim clemmons
October 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
In that case would swimming with a pull bouy actually be a very advanced form of noodling?

No, since you're in the prone position and making progress, it is not, imo, any form of noodling.

Should a noodler be found in the prone position, noodler has recently fallen off said noodle and is technically in the process of drowning. Look around for the noodle which can then be retrieved and subdivided into multiple pull bouys. Let the lifeguards deal with the noodler without his noodle.

:anim_coffee:

joel schmaltz
October 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I can't believe you would resort to these kind of tactics Joel! :)

By the way, after I swam this past Sunday the locker room was very cold and I had a Sexton flashback. Remember how cold that locker room was?

[Joel and I swam together in high school]
Pretty scary having a Sexton flashback Kirk. I don't think my suits dried out the entire season. I do have some good news regarding the Noodlers. They have a new "playlist" to do their routine. The sped up version of "Lollipop" was killing me! Sometimes I just need something to complain about.

lefty
October 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
At 24 Hour Fitness the Noodlers now get the entire pool to themselves for the hour the class runs. I wish it didn't cost me $13 per month so I could just quit.

George, you are dead to me.

funkyfish
October 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
They have a new "playlist" to do their routine. The sped up version of "Lollipop" was killing me!
There must be an "official" guidebook/playlist for noodling classes across the US. I know the exact "Lollipop" song you write about. Scary.
:bouncing:

aquageek
October 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
At 24 Hour Fitness the Noodlers now get the entire pool to themselves for the hour the class runs. I wish it didn't cost me $13 per month so I could just quit.

George, you are dead to me.

Comedy gold.

Mookie
October 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I always think of them as the leaky bladders, and try to use the lane furthest from them for that reason.

To their credit, they are not as self obsessed over their bodies as we are. Noodling (not the catfish kind) is a social gathering.

My ex made me go to pottery classes when we were married. Bunch a damn old grey hairs, I thought. But no. Once they got to talking, I was amazed. They've already done everything we'll ever hope to do, and think we're special for. Grandma over there tested fighters in WWII. And the jokes. Those old ladies told dirty jokes that embarrassed me, and I was a young sailor. I still tell some of those jokes. It was a social hour, not a pottery class.

One day you may feel that the social aspects of most things are the only ones that actually matter.

geochuck
October 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
George, you are dead to me. If so come join me.

Leonard Jansen
October 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Huh? faster as in time flew by or faster as in you worked harder to try and show off?

As in time flew by. No reason to do the other as I have reached a point in life where I realize it is pointless to try and chrome-plate a turd.

-LBJ

pwolf66
October 14th, 2009, 08:25 AM
As in time flew by. No reason to do the other as I have reached a point in life where I realize it is pointless to try and chrome-plate a turd.

-LBJ

That's what I thought :angel:

3strokes
October 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I've changed my mind a bit on this. This AM some noodlers arrived at the Y pool and they were ALL very attractive, fit women in a range of ages. It was quite pleasant and made my workout go faster. Not sure if this was just some odd statistical glitch or they are going to be regulars, but they can definitely have a lane.

-LBJ

Where? When?

I wish................

geochuck
October 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Just bought my noodle. It is built for two and I can carry my Margaritas in the handy cup holders.

Allen Stark
October 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
This isn't a noodler question but about slightly higher on the food chain.Do any of you use the web finger gloves in a workout.They seem like a reasonable idea,but I realized I had never seen a serious swimmer use them.In fact I am not sure I have ever seen a male use them or anyone doing interval work.They seem to be used exclusively by women swimming slow laps and they seem to convert their LVF(late vertical forearm) to NVF(no vertical forearm) as they seem to provide more drag than they can manage.Comments?

SwimStud
October 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
This isn't a noodler question but about slightly higher on the food chain.Do any of you use the web finger gloves in a workout.They seem like a reasonable idea,but I realized I had never seen a serious swimmer use them.In fact I am not sure I have ever seen a male use them or anyone doing interval work.They seem to be used exclusively by women swimming slow laps and they seem to convert their LVF(late vertical forearm) to NVF(no vertical forearm) as they seem to provide more drag than they can manage.Comments?

Female ex college swimmer uses them at our Y...

Leonard Jansen
October 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I have long believed that I will end up in Hell but I think I sealed the deal this morning.

While swimming some easy laps, a somewhat attractive 40-something noodler in the next lane kicked up under the ropes and caught me in the stomach with her foot. I swallowed some water, stopped and hung on the lane line, coughing. She came up to me and started in on me about how I should be more careful. (huh? You were under the ropes...) I looked at her and said "I did it on purpose." That stopped her cold and she just looked at me. I smiled and said, "Well, how else is a guy like me ever going to get a chance to get any attention from someone like you?" She blushed hugely, stuttering. I took her hand, gently kissed the top of it and said "Unfortunately, the rest of my day can only be a disappointment after this." And then resumed my laps. When I got out a few minutes later, she and the two other ladies who were noodling with her waved good-bye to me. I blew them all a kiss.

I friend of mine who witnessed and overheard the whole thing, caught me in the locker room later and said "You are, without a doubt, the most evil b@st@rd I have ever met in my entire life. Nice job."

-LBJ

Jim B.
October 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Nice, kill 'em with kindness.

orca1946
October 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Poorly done flip turns with lots of splash will move them out !!

SolarEnergy
October 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
One 100 free to go in set. Two open lanes.(no lane lines in pool) Noodler comes over to stand in my lane to talk with friend. Pool is set at 85 degrees cause all the noodlers say it is to cold otherwise. I complain to guard, am told, "well there are a lot more of them then there are lap swimmers" Wont be if they keep this up. UGH! :frustrated: I tend to ignore them, euhh well not exactly.

When I see some, there's often a very narrow spot between to chatters where I can flip - even if it's only 1 square foot. By flipping few inches from their face, they usually understand the message: next time, you'll get my footprint printed on your face!

When I swim in a fast lane (that is a lane identified as 'Fast'), I follow the rules of squad swimming. Those who don't know these rules (like for instance, always leave the middle of the wall free for swimmers to flip) sometimes learn them the hard way. Their problem not mine.

Hoosier
June 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I would like to give a shout out to the "finners" at our pool...They at least seem to be working out, AND getting their hair wet. I think I am slow enough to even be able to circle swim with them with no problem.

KEWebb18
June 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Yesterday I got out after warm up to use the little girls' room....and while I was out of the pool, a noodler hopped into my lane. I came back and this person was swimming elementary whatever down the middle. Really? Didn't see my mesh bag and water bottle?

geochuck
June 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Best idea is to p.. in the pool.

Herb
June 26th, 2010, 12:33 AM
How about the guys that do the serious water resistant training - high stepping and what not? I've got to give them props as they always look to be in better shape than anyone and as far as I can tell know how to share a lane.

jethro
June 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
The noodlers always want to strike up a conversation with me, even when it should be obvious I'm trying to stay on interval. Even putting on my "I'm ticked off at the entire world so don't f--- with me" look doesn't always help with that, but it does some good in that I'm rarely asked to share a lane. :angel:

cjquill
June 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Noodling has now been extended to triathlons. A recent children's tri held in my area permitted swimmers to use a noodle to complete the 125M course. Am I just being an old fuddy duddy or is this ridiculous?

Novaova
June 26th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Noodling has now been extended to triathlons. A recent children's tri held in my area permitted swimmers to use a noodle to complete the 125M course. Am I just being an old fuddy duddy or is this ridiculous?
Children, man, children.

Anything that gets kids up and outside and exercising is cool with me. We can take away the noodles when they're older.

orca1946
June 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Splash a lot then when they are in your way run them over - say OH ! I didn't see you & keep running into them !

notsofast
June 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Good to see this thread is running strong, so far into its third year!

Conniekat8
June 26th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Yesterday I got out after warm up to use the little girls' room....and while I was out of the pool, a noodler hopped into my lane. I came back and this person was swimming elementary whatever down the middle. Really? Didn't see my mesh bag and water bottle?

You should have put a noodle there, so they know someone else has occupied the lane already.
How are they supposed to know what the mesh bag and all that other stuff means :p

swimshark
June 28th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Not really a noodler but a lap swimmer incident today. We have a LC pool with 10 lanes. The outside 4 lanes are for one age group team, then an open (buffer) lane, 3 lanes for my age group team, and then 2 lap swimming lanes. In the middle of practice today, a lap swimmer hops in to one of the lanes the other age group team is using and starts to swim with them. Just gets right in... He looked to be in his 60s. Did he not notice that they all had red matching caps on?! Did he not notice that they were all in their teens?! The lifeguard came over to him after he finished a 100 and got him to move to a lap swimming lane. :confused:

Redbird Alum
June 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
You should have put a noodle there, so they know someone else has occupied the lane already.
How are they supposed to know what the mesh bag and all that other stuff means :p

But Connie.... the noodlers are getting to where they have more gear than we do, and require their own luggage! At my pool they may be packing:

one or more "traditional" noodles
a version of the lifeguard "buoy", complete with shoulder strap
two oversized hand-held dumbells with foam floats where the weights would go
a similar device with an elongated rod (like a pugil stick)
two "resistance paddles" that have adjustable "paddles" to increase or decrease the resistance
fins
goggles
cap
lap counter
water bottle
timing device (watch or small clock)
water ipod equivalent
It seems technology has made noodling an economy all it's own!

nkfrench
June 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Please please please can somebody invent a Wii Fit noodle module... :)

Chicken of the Sea
June 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM

Same thing has happened to me twice recently, despite the fact that there was an empty lane next to me (with no stuff piled up at the end)

Novaova
June 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Same thing has happened to me twice recently, despite the fact that there was an empty lane next to me (with no stuff piled up at the end)
I don't get this. If someone walks into the natatorium and sees an empty lane with some gear piled at the end, then they have no way to know how long that stuff has been sitting there, how long the owner will be away, and so on. They may as well use the lane.

Chicken of the Sea
June 28th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I agree, although I would probably choose the empty lane with nothing at the end rather than the one with the drink and the baggy-clad phone propped up :)
the moral of the story is...just pee in the pool!! :)

Conniekat8
June 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
But Connie.... the noodlers are getting to where they have more gear than we do, and require their own luggage! At my pool they may be packing:

one or more "traditional" noodles
a version of the lifeguard "buoy", complete with shoulder strap
two oversized hand-held dumbells with foam floats where the weights would go
a similar device with an elongated rod (like a pugil stick)
two "resistance paddles" that have adjustable "paddles" to increase or decrease the resistance
fins
goggles
cap
lap counter
water bottle
timing device (watch or small clock)
water ipod equivalent
It seems technology has made noodling an economy all it's own!

Ah!
So, you didn't have enough stuff there for the lane to look occupied... LOL
I feel for ya!
[kitty counts her blessings, for not having to share the pool with noodlers]

ElaineK
June 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Today, two of our noodlers have lost their noodles- uh- marbles. They complained to the HOA manager about the exterior doors being kept open while I swim. Why? Because the open doors are letting the bugs in! :confused:

So, the HOA manager came over with that tortured look on her face (because she's on my side), to ask me if I would "mind" closing the doors. I replied, "Are they CRAZY? Let me get this straight. They are more concerned about a few bugs (none of which bite or are hazardous to your health) than their own health or mine. Don't they realize the water temperature has risen to 88(!!!) degrees; seven degrees over American Red Cross recommendations?" I won, of course, and agreed to close the doors after my swim.
ME: 1 point NOODLERS: 0 :applaud: :D

aquageek
June 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
If you are above the gnat line, I'm with you. If you are below the gnat line, the noodlers have my vote. Those S. Ga gnats are horrible.

lefty
June 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Two weeks ago a noodle session was going on while I was coaching. It is not the ideal situation for either group we do the best we can. Honest to goodness I feel that there is no way to please these women. I talk too loudly, we splash too much. In her words "do not show one ounce, not even a half ounce of courtesy."

I told her we are doing the best we can, that we do make accomodations (I listed them) and that we just have to put up with the fact that the situation is not ideal. The response was, "Just so you know, these people pay alot of money..." I threw up my hands.

Bobinator
June 29th, 2010, 02:38 PM
One way to avoid noodlers: Swim at 5:00 a.m.
You rarely find anyone other than devout lap swimmers or master's swimmers at that hour! I did have an altercation with 3 aqua jogger's who wanted to go 3 abreast but that's another story! :argue:

aquageek
June 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
You rarely find anyone other than devout lap swimmers or master's swimmers at that hour! I did have an altercation with 3 aqua jogger's who wanted to go 3 abreast but that's another story! :argue:

Oh, those crazy aqua joggers can be as bad as the noodlers. My last gym we had an aquanoodler who wore a wetsuit daily in 87 degree water, now that's loco.

swimshark
June 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Not in my pool. I swim (in the summer) at 5:15-7:15. The pool opens to the public at 5:30 and they are in the parking lot at 5am waiting for the doors to open. When 5:30 hits, you know it! They show up, walk their 2 laps and get out to go to the front desk to make their complaint of the day.

aquageek
June 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Not in my pool. I swim (in the summer) at 5:15-7:15. The pool opens to the public at 5:30 and they are in the parking lot at 5am waiting for the doors to open. When 5:30 hits, you know it! They show up, walk their 2 laps and get out to go to the front desk to make their complaint of the day.

You missed their final step - after they complain, they drink all the free coffe and fall asleep on the sofas in the lobby.

Slowswim
June 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
The bulk of the noodles I see are well in to their retiement years. Why are they up and at the pool at 5:30am!:confused:

They have all day to swim while those of us who splash too much are at work.

When I'm that old, I plan to jump out of bed at the crack of noon and head to the gym...

jethro
June 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Why are they up and at the pool at 5:30am!:confused:

By getting there just as the pool opens in the morning, they can make sure they are the first out of the locker room and get "their" lane.

swimshark
June 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
By getting there just as the pool opens in the morning, they can make sure they are the first out of the locker room and get "their" lane.

Exactly! And then they have more time to complain at the front desk. No free coffee, though.

By the way, my dad is retired and he's up at 5am to work out almost every day. He's not a noodler, though. He's a tri :bolt:

aquageek
June 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I had to start arriving at the Y gym at 5:10 am after the mad gang of noodlers drove me to near insanity. They'd get there about 4:30 am and then start beating on the door with their keys at 5 am if they doors weren't opened. They'd then swim for 10 minutes and be gone.

ElaineK
June 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
If you are above the gnat line, I'm with you. If you are below the gnat line, the noodlers have my vote. Those S. Ga gnats are horrible.

No gnats; just larger, harmless bugs that don't bite or bother anybody/ anything but the noodlers! All these bugs do is crawl in across the deck- maybe one or two of them- big deal...

Wow, Aquageek, do we FINALLY agree on something??? :D

Conniekat8
June 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Sounds like I should really count my blessings that our team has it's own pool. Us fitness level masters are the bottom of the pile. There are no uncoached workouts.

srcoyote
July 2nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
I actually had to share a lane with a noodler yesterday, although, given the tats, the baggy shorts, and the bizarre jumping exercises, I think he would have preferred to call himself a cross-trainer.

In the end, the waves he created by jumping made for good open water like training and after he got out, I had to share the lane with a lap swimmer who was all over the place while I was being kicked under the rope by a sloppy breast stroker in the next lane.

Peter Cruise
July 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Gosh, David- I find that when I'm doing breastroke during public lap swimming, I kick exactly who I'm aiming at...

srcoyote
July 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Gosh, David- I find that when I'm doing breastroke during public lap swimming, I kick exactly who I'm aiming at...

Nice!:applaud:

ElaineK
July 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
See my latest post (tonight) in the thread, "You know you're hooked on swimming when..." :bitching: :bitching: :bitching: :bitching: I have declared WWIII against the noodlers!

philoswimmer
July 6th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm curious about the definition of "noodler" -- does one actually have to be using a noodle to be a noodler? Or is it more general than that?

ElaineK
July 7th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I'm curious about the definition of "noodler" -- does one actually have to be using a noodle to be a noodler? Or is it more general than that?

I define it more broadly: Any pool user who DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE. Typically (at least at my pool), a noodler includes those who participate in water aerobics classes or use the pool for water therapy, but with total disregard for lap swimmers. By total disregard, I'm saying they are clueless by getting into the lap swimming lane to walk their laps, talking to you when you are swimming intervals, etc.

Not all water aerobics participants are "noodlers", in my opinion. We have a couple of very athletic water aerobics participants who are respectful to me, stay out of my way, ask about my swim meets, encourage me, and congratulate me when I reach my goals. I even had one who said, "I'm PROUD of you!" Sure, she uses a noodle, buy she has a clue.

Hoosier
July 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
As I started this thread, (one of my greatest achievements, telling my wife to put, "Originator of THE "death to all noodlers" USMS thread in my obit) I agree that you do not need a noodle to be a noodler, and having a noodle doesnt make you a noodler by this def. I will say this thread has been very theraputic (sp). Why just the other day someone posted that they went to the bathroom and came back to find a noodler in their lane, and that had happened to me the day before the posting. ElaineK's def is spot on for the sake of this discussion. but most importantly I know.... I AM NOT ALONE!

srcoyote
July 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Regardless of definition of noodler*, this thread is indeed therapeutic. I, too, feel Elaine's pain. The easiest pool for me to get to duirng a mid-day workout is now closed to lap swimmers from 11:30 to 1:30 for a water aerobics class. These noodlers have, over the last two years, slowly expanded that time from one hour to two, the current timing of which makes no sense as the pool closes at 2:00 for 3 hours.

Back when they had the pool from noon to 1:00, I would make sure I got to the pool early to finish up by noon. At a quarter til, they would begin dragging the divider across the pool and shut off my lane. A bunch of old bullies is what they are!

*I define noodler as anyone who (organized in a class or not) engages in some sort of hopping and jumping or wading activity usually with a bunch of pool toys. Of course, I have known some friendly, pool-sharing noodlers. It is those that aren't that tend to ruin the image for the lot of them.

ElaineK
July 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
As I started this thread, (one of my greatest achievements, telling my wife to put, "Originator of THE "death to all noodlers" USMS thread in my obit) I agree that you do not need a noodle to be a noodler, and having a noodle doesnt make you a noodler by this def. I will say this thread has been very theraputic (sp). Why just the other day someone posted that they went to the bathroom and came back to find a noodler in their lane, and that had happened to me the day before the posting. ElaineK's def is spot on for the sake of this discussion. but most importantly I know.... I AM NOT ALONE!

Hoosier (or, "Old Fart" as you put it...), you are my new best friend! :D
No, you are not alone. And, you are a pretty cool old fart, as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, the noodlers I'm dealing with are old farts in a much worse way. Who goes to the pool and whines about not wanting their hair to get wet? That's the other reason they are trying to get rid of me during their water aerobics classes.

I went into detail about my trials and tribulations with the noodlers, in the thread I started, "You know you're hooked on swimming when..." Now, today, I show up to the pool and there is a note posted by the HOA office that states that the indoor pool is reserved for water aerobics classes from 9-10am. They get the ENTIRE six lane, 25 yard to themselves, even though two lane line are in for lap swimmers and there are only, on average, 8 attendees for that class.

This isn't over yet, though! The HOA manager can't arbitrarily make decisions like that! Any rules & regulation changes must be approved by the board! So, I am armed for our upcoming meeting... The noodlers haven't won the war yet...

So, today, I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Up until 9am, I swam my workout, then, I joined them for their class, I'm sure, to their total dismay. And, I blew them away...:D I double and tripled movements to every one of theirs, and when it was time for flutter kick? Ha! They don't like splashing? TOUGH! :bump:

The saga continues...

And, Old Fart Hoosier? Thanks for starting this thread so I can vent, too! :blah:

Allen Stark
July 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hoosier (or, "Old Fart" as you put it...), you are my new best friend! :D
No, you are not alone. And, you are a pretty cool old fart, as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, the noodlers I'm dealing with are old farts in a much worse way. Who goes to the pool and whines about not wanting their hair to get wet? That's the other reason they are trying to get rid of me during their water aerobics classes.

I went into detail about my trials and tribulations with the noodlers, in the thread I started, "You know you're hooked on swimming when..." Now, today, I show up to the pool and there is a note posted by the HOA office that states that the indoor pool is reserved for water aerobics classes from 9-10am. They get the ENTIRE six lane, 25 yard to themselves, even though two lane line are in for lap swimmers and there are only, on average, 8 attendees for that class.

This isn't over yet, though! The HOA manager can't arbitrarily make decisions like that! Any rules & regulation changes must be approved by the board! So, I am armed for our upcoming meeting... The noodlers haven't won the war yet...

So, today, I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Up until 9am, I swam my workout, then, I joined them for their class, I'm sure, to their total dismay. And, I blew them away...:D I double and tripled movements to every one of theirs, and when it was time for flutter kick? Ha! They don't like splashing? TOUGH! :bump:

The saga continues...

And, Old Fart Hoosier? Thanks for starting this thread so I can vent, too! :blah:

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleade r::cheerleader::cheerleader:

jethro
July 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM

OMG that is hilarious! I've long been tempted to do that, but have resisted. Awesome! :D

ElaineK
July 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
OMG that is hilarious! I've long been tempted to do that, but have resisted. Awesome! :D

Thanks Allen and Jethro!!! It's nice to know SOMEBODY is on my side...:)

swimshark
July 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM

The saga continues...

Love it!!

Monday I didn't get word that practice was cancelled so I showed up. Myself and another swimmer helped put in a few of the 10 lane lines for the lap swimmers (normally the other age group team puts them in but they took the day off, too). As Steve and I are finishing up, one of the noodlers, who swims in a sports bra and board shorts comes in and asks if the lane lines can be moved from LCM to SCY. Um.. nope. The pool is advertised as LCM from 5:30-7:15am all summer long. If you don't like it, don't show up at that time, noodler! Be glad we put the lane lines in so you didn't have to.

philoswimmer
July 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I define it more broadly: Any pool user who DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE. Typically (at least at my pool), a noodler includes those who participate in water aerobics classes or use the pool for water therapy, but with total disregard for lap swimmers. By total disregard, I'm saying they are clueless by getting into the lap swimming lane to walk their laps, talking to you when you are swimming intervals, etc.

Not all water aerobics participants are "noodlers", in my opinion. We have a couple of very athletic water aerobics participants who are respectful to me, stay out of my way, ask about my swim meets, encourage me, and congratulate me when I reach my goals. I even had one who said, "I'm PROUD of you!" Sure, she uses a noodle, buy she has a clue.

Thanks, this makes sense to me -- it's more the attitude than the noodle, but the noodle and the attitude often go together. It's been awhile since I had to try to share a pool with people like that. Seems like they've gotten more self-entitled, self-centered, and aggressive. Sorry, that sounds very frustrating to deal with.

couldbebetterfly
July 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Has anyone else encountered the new breed of "pre-noodlers"?

This morning, 2 reasonably fit/athletic looking women probably early 40s at most, turn up, borrow a kickboard each and sit at the end of one of the 4 open lanes. (The pool has 6 lanes, 2 roped, 4 open, but all for lap swim only early in the morning) They dangle their feet in like a pair of school kids and complain about it being cold. I swim 8 lengths cool down while this performance is going on and then get out. They eventually get in and kick the length with their heads up chatting to each other.

As I needed breakfast I didn't stop for the next exciting installment, but its going to end in noodling.......

swimshark
July 8th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Has anyone else encountered the new breed of "pre-noodlers"?

This morning, 2 reasonably fit/athletic looking women probably early 40s at most, turn up, borrow a kickboard each and sit at the end of one of the 4 open lanes. (The pool has 6 lanes, 2 roped, 4 open, but all for lap swim only early in the morning) They dangle their feet in like a pair of school kids and complain about it being cold. I swim 8 lengths cool down while this performance is going on and then get out. They eventually get in and kick the length with their heads up chatting to each other.

As I needed breakfast I didn't stop for the next exciting installment, but its going to end in noodling.......

Yes, we have those. We have some like that as young as 20's in our pool. I guess they are the social kickers. :blah:

Redbird Alum
July 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
*I define noodler as anyone who (organized in a class or not) engages in some sort of hopping and jumping or wading activity usually with a bunch of pool toys. Of course, I have known some friendly, pool-sharing noodlers. It is those that aren't that tend to ruin the image for the lot of them.

Actually, I group "hoppers, jumpers and waders" in to a special class of pool-vermin which I label as "Bobbers." Like fishing bobbers, they come in various colors, sizes and shapes.

:)

philoswimmer
July 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I was looking at suits online and came across this site:

http://www.swimandsweat.com/

I thought you'd all appreciate the picture of the noodler, with her dry hair and lack of splash.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 9th, 2010, 01:14 AM

I thought you'd all appreciate the picture of the noodler, with her dry hair and lack of splash.

Not to mention make-up in place. As for "bobbers," they can pose a problem for those doing serious water running workouts. During one of my running injuries, when I hadn't yet gotten into swimming, I was doing an interval workout in the water with one of those vests. So was a young man of high school age. We were both having a time trying to get around (a) two high school girls and (b) two 60something women... both pairs were bobbing along oblivious to any attempt by the guy or me to get by them and do our workout. He was motoring along pretty well in spite of it, and I don't think I was doing too badly at the time. But when I got within range of the perfume the women were wearing, that would disrupt my rhythm and slow me down.

Perhaps that's just one of the "aha!" moments that eventually led to my using the pool for swimming, not for deep water running. I recover pretty well from running injuries by swimming my interval workouts instead of "water running" them. So I suppose I owe these two pairs of women thanks for inspiring me to get started with masters swimming. :)

ElaineK
July 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Sheeesh! That's what they look like at our pool; not a wet strand of hair on any of them- until I joined them and it was time to do the flutter kick at the side of the pool... :D

swimshark
July 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Sheeesh! That's what they look like at our pool; not a wet strand of hair on any of them- until I joined them and it was time to do the flutter kick at the side of the pool... :D

Add 20-30 years and that's what they look like at our pool. One woman today stood on the side of the pool and fixed her hair to make sure it was all in place before she got in.

jethro
July 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Add 20-30 years and that's what they look like at our pool. One woman today stood on the side of the pool and fixed her hair to make sure it was all in place before she got in.

Yup. Plus makeup and gobs of jewelry. What's up with that? :confused:

swimshark
July 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Yup. Plus makeup and gobs of jewelry. What's up with that? :confused:

Sadly, some of the kids I swim with come in full make up to practice. But I think it's just left over from the night before. I am amazed at how it runs down their faces as they get wet.:afraid:

TRYM_Swimmer
July 9th, 2010, 04:00 PM

WARNING!!!!!! This link is not for the noodle-resistant faint of heart!! AHHH! Nightmares!

ViveBene
July 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
WARNING!!!!!! This link is not for the noodle-resistant faint of heart!! AHHH! Nightmares!

It's just an ad for a chloroban swimsuit.

philoswimmer
July 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM
It's just an ad for a chloroban swimsuit.

I find it scary that this type of noodler is so common that people are marketing to it.

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I find it scary that this type of noodler is so common that people are marketing to it.

:afraid:

bzaks1424
July 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
More, "AS THE STOMACH TURNS", after the meeting...

Let me know Elaine - I can come down to Georgia and just start swimming with you. Or if worse comes to worse - we'll give them an offer they can't refuse! :D

jethro
July 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
This thread, and Elaine's posts in particular, makes me appreciate the relative lack of noodler drama at the pool here. As annoying as they can be at times, I see it could be much, much worse. :afraid:

aquaFeisty
July 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
So I went for a swim last night (Friday night) at 5:45. I swim at a fitness center with a 6 lane pool. I knew in advance that there was an aqua class that would be in the pool from 5:30 to 6:30. There were 5 people in the class and they were using 3 lanes (lane lines were pulled over to the side); and they were down at one end of the pool, so using about 1/3 of the length of the pool. This is not my beef... club policy is that at least 2 lanes will be open for lap swimmers and the aqua class schedule is posted in a gazillion places. I could have easily waited until 6:30 to get to the pool to swim, but I wanted to swim then eat dinner so no biggie.

Here is my issue: There were 3 lap swimmers including myself. I was in the end lane and quite psyched that I had my own lane since I was doing a bunch of IM drills. At about 6 pm, another person comes in and stands near the edge with a martyred expression. If she had stood at the end of my lane, I'd have gladly stopped and asked if she wanted to share. But she was putting off a clear "I want my own lane" vibe so I kept going. After about 5 min of martyrdom, the guy in the lane nearest the noodlers got out and she hopped in. And then this lady proceeds to CHAT WITH THE AQUA CLASS AND STAND THERE IN THE LANE!!!!! Are you freakin' kidding me???? Yes, folks, there is a 3 lane wide space of which over 15 yds of pool are still available that she could have used. The aqua class is a free one - she could have just joined the class. Instead she uses up a 5 ft space in one lane, effectively removing 1/3 the lap lanes.

GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

This was a ridiculously long post, if anyone read it, thanks for listening to my venting! :)

moodyrichardson
July 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I have found an effective way to avoid the noodlers at my place. Go to the outdoor pool and swim laps there, if you have that available to you. The noodlers here won't go anywhere near outside. Sure you have to deal with the kids, but they are a LOT less obnoxious than noodlers. I may have one swim across my lane once in a while, but that's it.

Good luck on your battle Elaine. Let me know, if you need any Tennessee support.

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Let me know Elaine - I can come down to Georgia and just start swimming with you. Or if worse comes to worse - we'll give them an offer they can't refuse! :D

:applaud: :banana: :D

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
This was a ridiculously long post, if anyone read it, thanks for listening to my venting! :)

Hey, I am the QUEEN of ridiculously long posts! :blah: Vent here anytime; that's why we are all on this thread- to vent! :bitching: And, I will always listen...:agree:

By the way, you had a valid vent, FOR SURE! A swimmer stooping down to the noodler's level? She should be ashamed at herself!! :afraid:

geochuck
July 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't it be good to see death to the (Death to all Noodlers!) thread.

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have found an effective way to avoid the noodlers at my place. Go to the outdoor pool and swim laps there, if you have that available to you. The noodlers here won't go anywhere near outside. Sure you have to deal with the kids, but they are a LOT less obnoxious than noodlers. I may have one swim across my lane once in a while, but that's it.

Good luck on your battle Elaine. Let me know, if you need any Tennessee support.

Thanks, Moody! The outside option doesn't work for me, though, because:
1. The pool and air temp. is even hotter outside than inside and I have heat intolerance issues that are medically (not psychologically) related.
2. Sun. See above, not to mention what it does to 48 year old skin.
3. The outdoor pool is 20 yards long and it messes me up on stroke count, not to mention the fact that I don't want to practice THAT many turns!

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Wouldn't it be good to see death to the (Death to all Noodlers!) thread.

Chuckie, if you don't want to read it, your are more than welcome to NEVER visit this thread again. Meanwhile, those who are still here reading it WANT to be here. So, as long as noodlers invade our world, LONG LIVE THE "DEATH TO ALL NOODLERS!" thread. :applaud:

geochuck
July 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I am George, my wife is Chuckie but you have the right to call me any thing you want. But please don't call me late for a dinner.

The best way to avoid noodlers is quit swimming. Noodlers have the right to swim it is a right quaranteed by the US Constitution (I think)

Chuckie, if you don't want to read it, your are more than welcome to NEVER visit this thread again. Meanwhile, those who are still here reading it WANT to be here. So, as long as noodlers invade our world, LONG LIVE THE "DEATH TO ALL NOODLERS!" thread. :applaud:

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I am George, my wife is Chuckie but you have the right to call me any thing you want. But please don't call me late for a dinner.

The best way to avoid noodlers is quit swimming. Noodlers have the right to swim it is a right quaranteed by the US Constitution (I think)

Ooops, sorry, "George".

Is that really the BEST way to avoid noodlers? It is A way, but not the BEST way, in my opinion. I think we can all co-exist nicely, the way we all used to do at the pool where I swim- that is, until a few of them decided otherwise. They have as much right as I do, but the point I've been making about my situation is that they are DEPRIVING me of my right! They are doing so by banning me from the pool during their class, even though there are only 6-8 of them, and they DON'T NEED THE ENTIRE SIX LANE, 25 YARD POOL. :confused:

I never intended on the situation becoming adversarial. They are making it that way and I am trying to diffuse it.

AGAIN, you don't have to read this thread, George. It is YOUR constitutional right to not have to be here. So, why are you on this thread???

philoswimmer
July 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
As for my "compromises", I will ask for:
1. Just ONE swim lane. The noodlers can have one of the deeper water lanes if they MUST.
2. I'll even swim "quietly" during their classes so they can hear the dvd; no kicking drills or butterfly. I'll work on my breaststroke turns and sculling drills...
3. I will give up the pool completely IF/WHEN there are ever enough people attending class that they need THE ENTIRE SIX LANE, 25 YARD POOL! Meanwhile, with the 6-8 people who regularly attend, I'm NOT GOING ANYWHERE. :D

More, "AS THE STOMACH TURNS", after the meeting...

Seems to me that you are being more than reasonable. In fact, I'd be tempted to hold my ground and only offer these compromises later in the meeting, lest the "compromise" be something even less than what you're offering. #2 in particular seems unnecessary and a lot to give up. It's a pool. They should expect to get wet. And they have to share it. Boo-hoo. You have to deal with them, they have to deal with you. They need to get over that.

geochuck
July 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM
It is my constitutional right to almostdo anything I want.

I love noodlers, I often wish I was one. If you watch me swim when in Mexico you will see I am on guard not to run into any one noodler or not.
http://www.youtube.com/user/geochuck#p/a/u/0/T6zV5GjpkbQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/geochuck#p/a/u/1/5pXYo4qg00A

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 12:23 PM
It is my constitutional right to almostdo anything I want.

I love noodlers, I often wish I was one. If you watch me swim when in Mexico you will see I am on guard not to run into any one noodler or not.

http://www.youtube.com/user/geochuck#p/a/u/1/5pXYo4qg00A

True; it is your constitutional right. But, WHY are you here? Why don't you start a thread, "I love noodlers!!!" and leave us alone? :D

As for the videos, those aren't noodlers. Those are children playing in a pool with no lane lines or place reserved for lap swimming. Big difference.

Please see my definition of a "noodler" in one of my earlier posts. A "noodler" is one who interferes with my RIGHT to swim in one of the two lanes at our pool that are reserved for lap swimming. I love the noodlers at our pool who RESPECT my right. Heck, a bunch of them are my personal friends. And, I :applaud: them for being there and choosing to exercise, rather than sit on their butts. And, I encourage them, as well.

Oh, hey, Georgie, you have a beautiful stroke, by the way. ;)

couldbebetterfly
July 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Seems to me that you are being more than reasonable. In fact, I'd be tempted to hold my ground and only offer these compromises later in the meeting, lest the "compromise" be something even less than what you're offering. #2 in particular seems unnecessary and a lot to give up. It's a pool. They should expect to get wet. And they have to share it. Boo-hoo. You have to deal with them, they have to deal with you. They need to get over that.

Yep - I agree with philoswimmer. Heck - its a pool, you will get wet, so you should be able to carry on swimming your normal workout. And surely they don't all line up by your lane just to get splashed and complain - or do they? I mean there's a lot of other water for them to use even if there were 8 of them in 4 lanes.

Has any of the board or HOA manager watched the pool while you are there with the noodlers, to check out the huge amount of space they have?

Peter Cruise
July 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Elaine- watch out, their next tactic will be to lobby to turn pool temp w-a-a-y up. They want to ruin your swimming experience 24/7...

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Elaine- watch out, their next tactic will be to lobby to turn pool temp w-a-a-y up. They want to ruin your swimming experience 24/7...

The pool temp. already got up to 88 on its own, after the heater was turned off, thanks to the glass windows and bad HVAC system. :badday: Can you believe I'm training in 88 degree water???:bitching: Believe me, the water temperature battles have ALREADY happened- last winter. But, I won that battle in getting it turned down from 86(!) to 84; the best I could do- even after quoting American Red Cross recommendations...

ElaineK
July 10th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Yep - I agree with philoswimmer. Heck - its a pool, you will get wet, so you should be able to carry on swimming your normal workout. And surely they don't all line up by your lane just to get splashed and complain - or do they? I mean there's a lot of other water for them to use even if there were 8 of them in 4 lanes.

Has any of the board or HOA manager watched the pool while you are there with the noodlers, to check out the huge amount of space they have?

In short- yes; at least the one woman. I truly believe she came all the way over to be right next to me, JUST so she could complain and pick a fight with me. There was plenty of room at the other end of the pool where the cd player was set up and the rest of the class was participating.

As for the HOA manager, I've described the situation, but I don't believe she has actually seen it. I don't know if she passed through while I was swimming, but describing it should be good enough for her to get a clue...

Chicken of the Sea
July 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
So I went for a swim last night (Friday night) at 5:45. I swim at a fitness center with a 6 lane pool. I knew in advance that there was an aqua class that would be in the pool from 5:30 to 6:30. There were 5 people in the class and they were using 3 lanes (lane lines were pulled over to the side); and they were down at one end of the pool, so using about 1/3 of the length of the pool. This is not my beef... club policy is that at least 2 lanes will be open for lap swimmers and the aqua class schedule is posted in a gazillion places. I could have easily waited until 6:30 to get to the pool to swim, but I wanted to swim then eat dinner so no biggie.

Here is my issue: There were 3 lap swimmers including myself. I was in the end lane and quite psyched that I had my own lane since I was doing a bunch of IM drills. At about 6 pm, another person comes in and stands near the edge with a martyred expression. If she had stood at the end of my lane, I'd have gladly stopped and asked if she wanted to share. But she was putting off a clear "I want my own lane" vibe so I kept going. After about 5 min of martyrdom, the guy in the lane nearest the noodlers got out and she hopped in. And then this lady proceeds to CHAT WITH THE AQUA CLASS AND STAND THERE IN THE LANE!!!!! Are you freakin' kidding me???? Yes, folks, there is a 3 lane wide space of which over 15 yds of pool are still available that she could have used. The aqua class is a free one - she could have just joined the class. Instead she uses up a 5 ft space in one lane, effectively removing 1/3 the lap lanes.

GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Hahaha! yeah I got surprised by the Friday pm class once. I'll go later next time.
I'm sure I already whined about this one, but my favourite was when there were a whole lot of lap swimmers when a class started. There were 2 women in the class. The instructor told me they were entitled to 2 lanes and I had to move. I asked her if she could perhaps use her discretion and only use 1 lane for this particular (empty) class. NO WE ARE ENTITLED TO 2 LANES AND WE'LL USE THEM! was her reply (yelled at me). She then had to ask one of the two ladies to move into the second lane, as they were already happily bobbing around in the one lane with plenty of space. I had a very martyred expression underwater after that.

bzaks1424
July 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I've yet to have a noodler incident. Honestly though - after reading these stories, I kind of want one. Just to get a feel for what its like :-D

-Michael P.

Bobinator
July 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Besides the fact that I work from 7:15 a.m. till at least 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday and am too tired to swim after work most days I will say I have never seen a NOODLER at the pool at 5:00 a.m. I think that's reason enough to swim in the morning!!!!!!!

Sidenote: I did have a BRIEF altercation with 3 aqua-joggers who wanted to travel the lane 3 abreast one morning. I stopped after crashing in to them during backstroke and simply said "In the early morning swimmers and joggers must circle in a single file formation!" They quickly re-assembled their formation and went on. I haven't seen them back in the morning since. I think talking and visiting was their goal more so than getting a workout. I hope they found a new place or time that worked for them! :angel:

ElaineK
July 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I've yet to have a noodler incident. Honestly though - after reading these stories, I kind of want one. Just to get a feel for what its like :-D

-Michael P.

Be careful what you wish for! :afraid:

radar1948
July 11th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Take a babyrooth candybar, drop it from your swim trunks right in front of them and say AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. that should shock a few of them.

swimshark
July 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
We had one this morning. A lap swimmer, not a noodler but still... Our team rents out 3 lanes (we need more but for this summer we only get 3). Another team has 4 lanes which leaves 3 lanes for lap swimmers. We were packed this morning with 10 swimmers per lane. So the coach saw that no lap swimmers were coming in and moved us into a lap swim lane. A lap swimmer complained soon after so we moved back over but then she got in to one of the open 2 lanes. Why did she complain if she wasn't going to get in to the lane that we were using?! Instead it sat empty for about 30 min and then the noodler that swims in a sports bra and board shorts got in it, kicked for a while with her head up and got out. We got in the 4th lane soon after :D to do sprints.

quicksilver
July 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Interesting how the camera went silent right after that boy managed to get into your path of travel. :)

geochuck
July 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I was very happy to be interupted, after all I swam a length and needed the rest.

quicksilver
July 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I was very happy to be interupted, after all I swam a length and needed the rest.

This is not good George. That's sounds like Noodle talk for sure. You may have gotten infected.

Better toughen up, or sadly, you might be tempted to tuck one under each arm.

Just say no!

ElaineK
July 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
AS THE STOMACH TURNS continues...

The sign had gone up last Wednesday that the pool was reserved for water aerobics (the entire 25yd pool for 6-8 people). The sign came down after my meeting with the HOA manager and lifestyle director. One little problem, though... Not only was the community NOT notified about the new policy; it also wasn't notified when the policy reverted back.

So, today, I'm swimming in one of the two lanes for lap swimmers- complete with lane lines- when three ladies enter the pool for water aerobics. THREE. One of the ladies was the :censor: who verbally attacked me, as described in a previous post.

Next up in my workout was, as The Fortress puts it, "The Evil". Now, I'm not referring to breaststroke, because that's my stroke. No, in my case, it's The Fortress' best stroke and my worst- the backstroke. :afraid:

Just this past Friday, my part-time coach took a look at my backstroke, upon my request, because I would like to enter the Peachtree City Pentathlon, in September. Time to get working on that nasty backstroke... First off, he says: Keep your head still.

So, I start swimming backstroke, keeping my head as still as possible, staring at the ceiling, so I wouldn't move my head. Next thing I know, YANK! :afraid: The :censor: had gotten into my lane and physically assaulted me! She actually yanked my arm- in mid-stroke- to stop me from swimming! Then, she proceeded to yell at me to get out, that I'm not supposed to be there, there's a sign posted as such, and :blah: :blah: :blah:. I calmly pointed out that, no, there is no sign posted, it was taken down, and, if you have a problem with that, go speak to the HOA manager. She stormed out and I kept swimming.

The HOA manager came in, I reported what happened, then she told them they could have one lap swimming lane for their deep water aerobics stuff, but that I would get the other one. I kept swimming hard. Really hard. Right next to the :censor:.

I am happy to report that I swam backstroke faster than ever (still slower than my breaststroke :blush: ) and my flutter kick was the strongest six-beat kick I had ever kicked. :D

Stay tuned for more of, AS THE STOMACH TURNS... (There is supposed to be a meeting, tomorrow, for the indoor pool users, except that the community has yet to be notified...)

philoswimmer
July 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
So, I start swimming backstroke, keeping my head as still as possible, staring at the ceiling, so I wouldn't move my head. Next thing I know, YANK! :afraid: The :censor: had gotten into my lane and physically assaulted me! She actually yanked my arm- in mid-stroke- to stop me from swimming!

She should be kicked out of the pool for that crap. That is completely unacceptable. You could easily have been injured.

ElaineK
July 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM
She should be kicked out of the pool for that crap. That is completely unacceptable.

OHHHH! I forgot to mention in my post that I filed a written complaint about her, as soon as I finished getting dressed. :D

philoswimmer
July 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM
OHHHH! I forgot to mention in my post that I filed a written complaint about her, as soon as I finished getting dressed. :D

Good!!!

jethro
July 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Next thing I know, YANK! :afraid: The :censor: had gotten into my lane and physically assaulted me! She actually yanked my arm- in mid-stroke- to stop me from swimming! Then, she proceeded to yell at me to get out, that I'm not supposed to be there, there's a sign posted as such, and :blah: :blah: :blah:. I calmly pointed out that, no, there is no sign posted, it was taken down, and, if you have a problem with that, go speak to the HOA manager. She stormed out and I kept swimming.

You have far more self-restraint than I do. Had that happened to me, it probably would have been quite the scene. That's unbelievable.

ElaineK
July 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
You have far more self-restraint than I do. Had that happened to me, it probably would have been quite the scene. That's unbelievable.
I was prepared. I knew she would pull that stunt and thought it all out ahead of time. But, little did I know, she would actually be stupid enough to do that while I was swimming backstroke, so that I wouldn't hear or see her. But, that just made it worse for her, because it forced her hand- and helped her dig her own grave with this battle.

I'm taking the high road, so I can live with myself, keep peace in my marriage, and continue living with the people who DO make our community great. :)

debaru
July 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I was prepared. I knew she would pull that stunt and thought it all out ahead of time. But, little did I know, she would actually be stupid enough to do that while I was swimming backstroke, so that I wouldn't hear or see her. But, that just made it worse for her, because it forced her hand- and helped her dig her own grave with this battle.

I'm taking the high road, so I can live with myself, keep peace in my marriage, and continue living with the people who DO make our community great. :)

I'm so sorry you've had to endure this type of treatment from a "supposed" adult, but be sure to watch your back, Elaine. :bighug:

It sounds like that gal has a couple of screws loose. If she's that brazen to attack you in front of other people, I would hate to think what she might be capable of in a more private circumstance.

ElaineK
July 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm so sorry you've had to endure this type of treatment from a "supposed" adult, but be sure to watch your back, Elaine. :bighug:

It sounds like that gal has a couple of screws loose. If she's that brazen to attack you in front of other people, I would hate to think what she might be capable of in a more private circumstance.

:afraid: Thanks, for the warning, Deb. Fortunately, I'm not a golfer; the only way we would ever cross paths regularly, since she golfs. I never see her at any social functions and we had never talked until she verbally attacked me the other day.

Hoosier
July 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=ElaineK;219560][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Hoosier (or, "Old Fart" as you put it...), you are my new best friend! :D

After all this you are my hero!

KEWebb18
July 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Wow. Elaine. I hope that you get everything straightened out. Who knew that noodling was a full-contact sport?

Bobinator
July 12th, 2010, 11:10 PM
This situation is out of control and no longer about swimming at all. You are now involved in a turf war! This noodler is very territorial!
I'd be careful. Could the aquatic or community manager sit in the pool for the time frame of the noodler class. Maybe this woman would mind her manners if there was an authority figure present. What does the Noodle aerobic teacher do while all this is going on? CRAZY LUNATIC BEHAVIOR!!

ElaineK
July 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
[quote=Hoosier;220082 After all this you are my hero![/QUOTE]

:bighug:

aquageek
July 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Fighting noodlers is exhausting. I gave up and joined a real swim club. It's like playing wack-a-mole with them. No matter what you do they find a new way to rise up and beat you down. They have an unlimited playbook of how to make life hell for the lap swimmer.

bzaks1424
July 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Attached is a letter I asked the HOA manager to distribute to the committee responsible for the pool. Meanwhile, I have asked to read the same letter at the pool users meeting, one hour from now...

Good luck.

If nothing else you have that woman pegged with 2 witnesses for physical assault...
"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

Lets also hope that the committee doesn't target you as a problem child either... lest you both be removed from the pool.