PDA

View Full Version : how to swim without my zoomers

Swim Chick
September 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone, i have been swimming for YEARS using fins. at first i just started out kicking laps, and before i knew it i was swimming laps. now my question is, that i hope someone can help me with is how do swim without my zoomers? i am tired of my feet cramping due to fins, and i really would like to swim without them. when i try and swim without them, i feel like i am a "turtle" barely moving in the water, i find it real hard to find my rhythm. so i feel like i can't swim a stroke without them. they also help buoy me up in the water, another thing that feels different without them. i feel like i will have to learn to swim all over again at the beginning. either that or i won't like swimming without them and lose motivation. does anybody have any ideas? I really feel like it is time to "ditch" the fins and the feet cramps that come with them. thanks for any input you might give me on this. Ciao and may the "lanes" be plentiful. :rant3:

mikedilv
September 11th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I have only been swimming around 3-4 months. I started with the training fins as well. When I ditched them, my feet felt like they were hardly doing anything at all. I felt like I was kicking in froth rather than water. I now have two coaches and am having to learn quite a bit about kicking! There are quite a few elements. I hear things such as "feel the water," "use your leg/foot combo like a whip," "for now, point your feet while doing kickboard work" (an exercise that is TOUGH right now,). The only thing that has any meaning to me yet is the kickboard work. I'm still unclear as to what is meant by the whip and feeling the water. :) Definitely take a look at the thread "Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible!"

geochuck
September 11th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Zoomers are plentiful and should not be used by swimmers or any athlete.

I did a seach and found that the street name Zommers are these little items.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/

mctrusty
September 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM

I did a seach and found that the street name Zommers are these little items.

I usually heard those referred to as boomers.

mctrusty
September 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
You could phase them out. Just use them less and less until you feel comfortable doing a workout without using them.

I don't think you'll have to re-learn how to swim. You'll just have to put up with being slower until you adjust to swimming without fins. As to losing motivation... you could make swimming proficiently without fins your motivation :).

haroldbuck
September 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Please explain.

geochuck
September 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
In parts of Canada magic mushrooms are called Zoomers I am trying to be a comedian.

I also am a not in favor of using any devices no paddles, no fins, no kick boards, no pull bouys, but anyone who wishes can.

Please explain.

Jeff Commings
September 11th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I have an intense animosity toward people who wear fins, paddles and/or pull buoys from warmup to warmdown, so it makes me happy to hear from someone who is working to "swimming naked," as I call it.

I would say quit cold turkey. Move down a couple lanes to an interval that suits you. Once your body adjusts to swimming without fins, you'll probably find yourself back in your old lane in no time.

haroldbuck
September 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating always using fins, paddles, or anything. It just seemed that the statement that no one should use them ever was a bit strong. It didn't seem to me that that comment was related to the mushroom comment.

I think fins are probably a useful tool if used in moderation--I'd bet Phelps has used them on occasion--but bad in excess.

Rykno
September 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM
a kid on our team didn't feel like swimming the last 1500 of 4x1500 fr, so he asked the coach if he could do 15x100 back dec 1-5

he wore zoomers, and did the last one in each set of 5 around :53 SCM.

so as a tool to let your body know what it's like to swim fast, I think it's a postive. just like swimming with bands. swimming with bands, lets you know what it feels like to move through the water faster.

Chris Stevenson
September 12th, 2008, 09:47 AM
so as a tool to let your body know what it's like to swim fast, I think it's a postive. just like swimming with bands. swimming with bands, lets you know what it feels like to move through the water faster.

I've heard this a lot, including from people whose opinion I respect.

But I've never truly understood the reasoning. If you want to feel what its like to swim fast...take some extra rest or do a quality set or whatever and SWIM FAST.

Or, in Jeff's case, borrow some speed by wearing a B70 in practice... :)

2fish&1whale
September 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have been using fins for my kick laps only and I can see how they can become "crutches".If you want to swim without ditch them cold turkey. You will more or less have to relearn how to swim without them,but you will probably find that you are working your legs and arms harder once you go "bare".

mikedilv
September 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I should have also mentioned that swimming without the fins is only awkward for the first week or so. After that, it feels natural. I personally would throw in a pull buoy after a few fin-free sessions. The reason is once I dropped the fins, I was kicking at quite a high pace and wearing myself out. Once I tried the pull buoy, I realized I did not have to kick so fast and hard. Since the pull buoy experience, my kicking feels much more relaxed and reliable.

CreamPuff
September 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Swim and do kick sets w/ tennis shoes for a week (I personally used tennis shoes for 2 weeks with the kids at the beginning of the season.) Take 'em off, and you'll be good to go.

swim4me
September 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
We have been swimming with tennis shoes for the past two weeks to work on our kicking. When I take them off, I feel like I have 'super' fins on! I really notice the feel of the water on my feet and I feel like I am flying through the water. You go from feeling like you aren't moving at all to speeding through the water. :fish2:

rtodd
September 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Swim and do kick sets w/ tennis shoes for a week (I personally used tennis shoes for 2 weeks with the kids at the beginning of the season.) Take 'em off, and you'll be good to go.

Do this AND swim with fists!