PDA

View Full Version : Phelps to host SNL tomorrow night

craig68
September 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Not so much a thread as an announcement.

Michael Phelps will host Saturday Night Live tomorrow (Sept. 13). I figured plenty of Masters swimmers that don't normally watch the show (and missed the ads) might want to tune in. I'm not sure if I want him to be tame enough for my 10-year-old son (Phelps phan!) to watch with me, or if I want him to be less tame and more funny!

geochuck
September 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Can't wait to not watch it. Thanks for the info, it is past my bed time.

USMSarah
September 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I've got it set on the DVR just in case I miss it/fall asleep before it starts!

:bed:

gobears
September 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Those of us bracing for hurricane Ike may or may not have power. I'd love a thread with a full report/review if my DVR can't record tomorrow night! Of course, I won't be reading such thread until we have power again...

Thanks!

bcm119
September 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I fear it will be quite embarrassing for all involved, like it is when most non-actors host SNL. I will still watch though.

Ande, great song... before it disappeared (?)

geochuck
September 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Good luck to all in the path of Ike.

Those of us bracing for hurricane Ike may or may not have power. I'd love a thread with a full report/review if my DVR can't record tomorrow night! Of course, I won't be reading such thread until we have power again...

Thanks!

scyfreestyler
September 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Accompanied now by Obama I understand.

ande
September 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
DVRed it last night

just watched it

the hillary palin opening was funny

what did y'all think?

tjrpatt
September 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
It didn't seem that they gave him good material. The Swim Cop was kind of funny. The heads at NBC aren't happy with the new faill schedule so Swim Cop might not be a bad idea at this point. Amy Poehler playing his mom was ok but a little exaggerated. I think that this was a case of lame material, not lame host. The press will probably blame it on him and thus, try to keep him from getting other acting jobs if Phelps wants to pursue that avenue. OH well, at least, he has Vegas hotels fighting over him to stay at their hotels.

scyfreestyler
September 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
To me, the funniest part was the opening skit of Palin and Clinton. Phelps did pretty well IMHO, especially considering the fact that acting is not really his forte.

Lump
September 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Horrible writing and not much talent on that show certainly didn't help. I recorded in on my DVR and watched about 1/2 of it this morning. The skits they put him in were horrible. That's just my opinion of SNL, not so much Michael, he did okay for never acting.

gobears
September 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Good luck to all in the path of Ike.

Thanks geochuck. We just got power back at about noon today. Not much major damage in my area (Northwest Houston). But we were out of power for about 34 hours. I've never been more grateful for a/c in my life... :)

Sounds like I didn't miss that much with the SNL thing. I probably would have walked away from the Lil Wayne part myself. I'm no fan of rap (though I did really like Eminem's "Lose Yourself" a few years back). Phelp's choice of music is not something I'll be emulating any time soon...

EllenT
September 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Phelps was OK--you could tell he was nervous. I liked him in the skit where he was the wierd cousin of the strange girl who likes to say "We" all the time.

His worst skit, in my opinion, was the restaurant skit with the waiter who kept talking about the pepper smell. Granted, I completly agree that the material wasn't very good, but during that skit, he seriously stared at the teleprompter the entire time and barely looked at the actors.

I also think they could have done more with the "Swim Cop" TV gag in the opening monologue. :dunno:

USMSarah
September 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
The Palin/Clinton skit was pretty good. Tina Fey could be Palin's sister!

They should have done more with the SwimCop part, but Pohler acting as Phelps' Mom - that was hilarious... I thought the T-Mobile skit was kind of funny and the Pepper Waiter one was horrible. Phelps did a nice job... glad he got to do that.

Loved the pictures of Phelps after the commercials - those are always great.

Seagurl51
September 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Loved the pictures of Phelps after the commercials - those are always great.

Oh....yea...those were nice. :)

I haven't had a chance to watch all of my DVR'd verision yet (my tv has been held hostage by my roommates and Grey's Anatomy all day) but what I have seen between last night and today was pretty good. For being a non-actor he did pretty good. The weird cousin one was pretty funny. It was fun to see someone that you've always pictured in one light in a completely different way.

scyfreestyler
September 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Grey's is more enjoyable. :)

ande
September 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
in the cousin skit he seemed like napoleon dynamite

Phelps was OK--you could tell he was nervous. I liked him in the skit where he was the wierd cousin of the strange girl who likes to say "We" all the time.

His worst skit, in my opinion, was the restaurant skit with the waiter who kept talking about the pepper smell. Granted, I completly agree that the material wasn't very good, but during that skit, he seriously stared at the teleprompter the entire time and barely looked at the actors.

I also think they could have done more with the "Swim Cop" TV gag in the opening monologue. :dunno:

ande
September 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
didn't think the the future olympics music video was very funny

I think my Michael Phelps song sung by a man would have been way funnier especially if he didn't know what was coming

Ande

scyfreestyler
September 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
didn't think the the future olympics music video was very funny

I think my Michael Phelps song sung by a man would have been way funnier especially if he didn't know what was coming

Ande
Agreed! :agree: