PDA

View Full Version : What is an interesting format for a local SCY meet?

Glenn
September 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Any suggestions out there for an interesting format for a local SCY meet? We have seen a pentathlon, either all 50's and a 100 IM or all 100's and a 200 IM. There are long distance meets etc. What is your fantasy meet? Corkscrew relay? All breastroke 50 - 1000? Anything but free?

JimRude
September 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Double Distance - 400 IM, 800 IM, 1000 Free, 3300 Free, and 400s of each stroke

Glenn
September 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Jim, love it!! I like that kind of out of the box thinking.

One year at SCM in Long Beach in the 800, a woman did it IM...........unbelievable!!!

Glenn

tjrpatt
September 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I know that this might be crazy but how about a 300 fly.

Glenn
September 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Tjrpatt,

Nothing crazy about that if you are a flyer!!!

Rose Bowl Aquatics is planning to host a meet on Feb 8 '09, so these suggestions are GREAT!

Jeff Commings
September 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
There has been a lot of talk about having 25s in masters meets. Why not have some of those?

And for the distance swimmers, how about an 800 IM or a 400 choice? But I do recommend limiting those to two heats per gender.

It's too bad that many masters meets are one day only. There are so many fun options out there. A two-day meet would allow for many opportunities.

I've always wished for a meet where everyone who signed up was required to swim 100 yards/meters of every stroke, a 200 IM, a 50 free and 500 free. Points would be awarded based on how close each swimmer is to the national record in their age group, and the winner in each age group gets a trophy. A similar points system is used at Tucson Ford Masters' intrasquad meet, and it means everyone scores points!

Again, it would require at least two days. Maybe three, if the 500 is swum on Friday night.

swimshark
September 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I love the Animal meet hosted by Camby, OR

Choice 1
50 fly, 100 IM, 200 free

Choice 2
100 fly, 200 IM, 500 free

Choice 3 (Grand Animal)
200 fly, 400 IM, 1000 free

Rob Copeland
September 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM
A team in New Jersey used to run a Valentine’s Meet. All the events were 2 person mixed relays of the basic events (e.g 2 X 100IM, 2 X 100 fly). You could get some unique sponsors and awards.:blush:

the17thman
September 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
There has been a lot of talk about having 25s in masters meets. Why not have some of those?

Here is Southern California we have an annual swim meet called the CalTech Pentathlon Short Course Yards Meet. Basically everyone swims a 50 of each stroke for time and then the 100 IM. At the end they have an overall winner based on times/places or something like that.

Not being a fan of breaststroke or 50's I avoid it but I do know that some other swimmers love this meet.

BillS
September 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I like penthalons, too. Ours are usually scored cumulative time in one of two categories:

4 x 50/100IM
4 x 100/200IM

A wrinkle that might increase participation is to include a team division. Allow people to form teams of 2, 3, or 4 swimmers. Score only the fastest team member's (or maybe 2 fastest) individual swim for each team. The IM becomes either a 200 or 400 medley relay. Team members are allowed to swim 2 legs (consecutive or non, team choice), of the relay. Run the relays before the IMs, giving the folks competing in the individual category more rest before the IM.

This format lets folks sit out an event, or double up a 50 and 100 of a favorite stroke, without sacrificing an overall result.

Although I did 2 non-consecutive legs of a 200 relay once in practice (our team was short one swimmer), and it was brutal!

Glenn
September 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
These are some great ideas! I particularly like the one Rob mentioned i.e. 2 person relays. We could have regular events and 2 person relay events of the same distance. And I suppose it might be fun to have it all together. So a person could be swimming a 200 free next to a 2 person relay with a similar entry time.

That's what so great about this forum, you can get many new ideas!

Anybody else?

Doug Adamavich
September 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Here is Southern California we have an annual swim meet called the CalTech Pentathlon Short Course Yards Meet. Basically everyone swims a 50 of each stroke for time and then the 100 IM. At the end they have an overall winner based on times/places or something like that.

Our college team had a pentathlon every October where it was a 50 of everything and a 200IM at the end. It was fun, even though my backstroke starts sucked (some things never change...). At the end, the Haucker would post the results on the starting end of the pool. A little extra motivation for some ;-) Not surprisingly, our team was VERY strong in the IM events.

Minnesota Masters has a postal pentathlon that I am going to encourage my LMSC to participate in. For IMers, this is pure joy...

inspired again
September 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I like the idea of the pentathalon, but I would also add the 200 free.

200 free

50 fly

50 back

50 breast

50 free

200 IM

Adding the 200 free gives some non-IMers a chance. I also like the teaming aspect, sort of like the gymnastics team competition.

Doug Adamavich
September 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM
One format we are looking at for the Spring of 2009 is a Spring Sprint Meet. This would be 50s and 100s of all the strokes along with the 100IM. We have not determined the event order but the 100IM would be at the end. The idea is to have a fun, fast meet at the start of the year where everybody could get a few (3 or 4) fast swims in.

the17thman
September 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
With pentathalon during yard season we use to train a few weeks before the meet. We'd take a week per stroke so we'd have a fly week a back week, a breast week and a free week. The whole workout wouldn't be the stroke but we'd have drills, kicking and sets geared to mastering those strokes. It was a good way for us non-strokers to learn a new stroke. When I started Masters swimming four years ago I only could swim back and freestyle. I could barely make a 25 butterfly. Now now I love the 200 butterfly.

Doug Adamavich
September 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Another format we are looking at is an all distance meet. For SCY that would be 500/1000/1650 freestyle. Each swimmer could only enter one event for the meet.

The idea is to give distance folks more chances to swim their events and to draw triathletes to the meet. We would have this in the spring, before triathlon season begins, so tri folk could get in a pool swim and gauge their speed/fitness.

We don't have a date or venue set...yet, although we are having discussions with some facilities. This could be a recurring meet with several in SCY season in the spring a several during LCM season when it is too hot (in most of AZ) for triathlons.