PDA

View Full Version : Poll question

jjpj
September 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM
about :

2 scenarios:

1st you have 10 hours per week to train, no individual attention from coach( coach mainly with bunch of hs swimmers) but assigned workout sets by coach

2nd you have 5 hours per week to train, more coach attention, but have to go straight to work right after 5:30 am-6am practice.

Wchich one would you choose? Assumption: you are self driven/can follow on your own.

jjpj

Allen Stark
September 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I can't stand to get up that early.Also,I do better with my own workouts(I'm not going to do what the coach says anyway.)If you are going the uncoached route you will need to get someone who knows what they are doing to look at your stroke periodically.

tjrpatt
September 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I really enjoyed my 6AM practices this summer that were every weekday morning. I could get my 4500 to 5000 meters done and then get to work. At the end of the day, I could go home and relax or have time to do dryland(which I rarely did) or see a movie. Now, my schedule is two mornings practices a week and the rest are all evening practices. With the morning practices, all I had to do was get up an hour earlier than I normally do. When I do night practices, I lose 2-3 hours in my day. At either practice, there is coach attention and assigned sets.

ViveBene
September 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
If you need and want the coaching part of training (ask Ande!), seems to me the second option would be preferable.

Can you mix them up? Say, do 2 days of coached training and 3 the assigned workouts or practicing what was done in the coached sessions? Or maybe try the coached training for 3 months, then switch over?

VB

haroldbuck
September 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Is there an option for, "Pick a thread title that actually gives some insight into what the poll is about?" :bolt:

2fish&1whale
September 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I would always pick morning over pm-assuming pm is after 6pm.
I hate swimming after I have eaten, feel clearer and more focused in the morning and there is way too much competition for lanes in the evening.
I would rather spend 60 quality minutes swimming than 90 trying to find a lane and fighting fatigue.

jjpj
September 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
If you need and want the coaching part of training (ask Ande!), seems to me the second option would be preferable.

Can you mix them up? Say, do 2 days of coached training and 3 the assigned workouts or practicing what was done in the coached sessions? Or maybe try the coached training for 3 months, then switch over?

VB
No i can't these are two different teams, I already tried morning sessions - problem is i have to go right to work after that-but as many mentioned here better 60mins quality workout rather than hanging there by myself. Moring session always has like 8 people everyday - eveing session rarely one-i think that says a lot.

swimshark
September 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I'm a morning person so I'd go for the morning practice. I go now 4:30-6am and have to head right home so my husband can leave for work (and someone is home with our 3 year old).

ddunbar
September 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
AM If and only if I can get to it while traveling. I would rather get up, stretch, talk to the wife, read a part of the paper, then fight the Houston Traffic, get to work and be able to concentrate through the morning. Evening practices allow me to get the tension out from the day and are late enough to get me home from the commute and change, but early enough so that dinner is not at 9:00.

aqualung
September 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM
6am is the only reasonable option around me (nearest pools don't open until 6am) but I have to be in to work before 7am so even that is no longer an option.

chaos
September 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
5:30am-6:30am practice 5 hrs/week more coach attention, must leave for work right after practice

depends; office or coal mine?

ViveBene
September 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
(continuing the trend toward thread hijack)

Swimming at end of workday is totally wonderful.
Swimming in lake at 5:45 a.m. (it's still night!) is obscenely wonderful.

Either makes me tired and want to sleep.
:2cents:

Lump
September 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'd just mix it up, being adults and most (I assume) having families its pretty tough