PDA

View Full Version : Pre'Race Gel Packs

spudfin
September 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Good Morning!
My son is a 13 yo age grouper that has amped up his level of competition this year. In addition to driving and writing checks I am helping him sort out his nutrition. Has anyone used the Gel Packs prerace. I use them for my own exercise and find them quite helpful at times. If any of you have any experience with them on race day I am interested to hear your results. Any other advice about prerace food strategies would be appreciated. We have also changed our diet daily to handle his increased caloric needs and it is working out pretty well.
Regards
Spudfin

waves101
September 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I've used the gel packs at some of my longer meets. I usually won't use them prior to the first event of the day but find them helpful if I have a long duration of time between events. 30 min. prior to the race works for me.

aquageek
September 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
If you want to spend a lot of money on sugar, go for it.

USMSarah
September 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Try Sharkies, they have a kids version too... it is an organic energy fruit chew - much better than the gel slime.

cwilson
September 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks USMSarah - I have an age grouper too and was looking for a healthier option...never heard of Sharkies.

aquageek
September 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I guess bananas and packs of jello powder are no longer popular as they were in the 70s.

USMSarah
September 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
packs of jello powder are no longer popular

That is SO WRONG!

stillwater
September 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Or, honey in the 60's.

I wonder if they still make that bear shaped squeeze bottle? I have some really disgusting memories about those sticky bottles.

ddunbar
September 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ate many a peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich

ddunbar
September 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I also remember our first attempts at carb loading. We cut carbs 2 weeks out, loaded the night before, and had dextrose tablets on deck. Ugh. Not a lot of fun being a lab rat.