PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo Masters and visitors

swimmieAvsFan
September 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
hello all you georgians out there :)

i'm going to be in alpharetta the first full week of october for a class, and i'm hoping to be able to swim at least a few times in that span. i see on the places to swim tab that there are 2 different Dynamo masters locations in that area, but i'm having a tough time finding out if drop-ins are allowed/welcomed (but i'll admit i haven't called or emailed yet)...

do any of you guys swim with Dynamo, at either location? if so, any recommendations on which site to swim at, and if mornings or evenings would be better for a visitor?

thanks for any help you guys can give! hopefully i'll not only get a chance to swim that week, but also maybe meet some fellow forumites! :)

Lump
September 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I swam for Dynamo when I was a club swimmer 20 years ago. I'd like to drop in for a Saturday practice maybe once a month or so just to break things up and swim with some new people.

You'll definately want to go to the Alpharetta location if that's where your class is. Chamblee in closer to ATL proper and traffic is a mess in that area (well so is Alpharetta for that matter) so you want to stay close as possible to your area.

Try giving them a buzz:
http://www.dynamomasters.com/news.php

WPSWIMS
September 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
You may want to check Swim Atlanta in Roswell. It is an old pool, but it may be closer to where you are staying. They have a web site.

Glider
September 16th, 2008, 10:56 PM
There's also a YMCA close by that opens at 5 AM for lap swimming. You'll find me there around 5:30 AM most days - 5 mins from work...Masters "workouts" Tuesday and Thursdays from 6-7:30 AM.

Dynamo Alpharetta is cool, too, especially for Masters-coached workouts, but not much on amenities. Same for SA Roswell.

swimmieAvsFan
September 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
mark, thanks for the info about the Y. i'm not a YMCA member up here in DC, so trying to swim there could be a pain... and i'm not too worried about amenities. :) i just don't want to have to deal with noodlers or not swimming at all for a week! in other words, i'd much rather get up at the crack of dawn and have to drive a little ways! plus, having coached workouts makes it that much easier to get up that early, at least in my book!

WP, thanks for the heads-up for SA at roswell. unfortunately, they've only got masters workouts over lunch, so that won't work for me...

and lump, thanks a ton for the heads-up about the other Dynamo site- i was google mapping the wrong shallowford road and thought that it was much closer than it actually is!!!

it looks like the Dynamo site in Alpharetta is the closest to where my class is...
the johns creek SA site is also rather close, but i'd be driving right past the Dynamo pool to get there...
do any of you georgians swim at the Dynmo site in Alpharetta???

(also, what is the proper way to say Alpharetta? there's a big debate up here on the proper way to say it!!! :) )

thanks everyone for your info! hopefully if any of you ever head north to DC, i can return the favor!!!:wine:

Lump
September 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have swam at the Alpharetta (pronouned pretty much alpha-rhet-a) but its been a long time. I've heard they are adding on up there too. Its on the way to my in-laws, but not on my way to work unfortunately.

I swim over at Mountain View:
http://prca.cobbcountyga.gov/Aquatics-MountainView.htm

Here is some more info of team/pools in the area:
http://georgialmsc.googlepages.com/teamsandgroups

Glider
September 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Your best bet is to stick with DYNA-A. They have a 6- or 8-lane 25Y pool and a new 25M pool. I know a few guys who swim there, but no forumites.

Most who compete swim at DYNA-C, iirc. But I'm not sure we have any forumites there either...(S)he-man used to swim there, but she's at SA now.

Where is your class? I'm 10 minutes from DYNA-A...

It's al'-pha-ret'-ta ...primary accent on ret...

mark, thanks for the info about the Y. i'm not a YMCA member up here in DC, so trying to swim there could be a pain... and i'm not too worried about amenities. :) i just don't want to have to deal with noodlers or not swimming at all for a week! in other words, i'd much rather get up at the crack of dawn and have to drive a little ways! plus, having coached workouts makes it that much easier to get up that early, at least in my book!

WP, thanks for the heads-up for SA at roswell. unfortunately, they've only got masters workouts over lunch, so that won't work for me...

and lump, thanks a ton for the heads-up about the other Dynamo site- i was google mapping the wrong shallowford road and thought that it was much closer than it actually is!!!

it looks like the Dynamo site in Alpharetta is the closest to where my class is...
the johns creek SA site is also rather close, but i'd be driving right past the Dynamo pool to get there...
do any of you georgians swim at the Dynmo site in Alpharetta???

(also, what is the proper way to say Alpharetta? there's a big debate up here on the proper way to say it!!! :) )

thanks everyone for your info! hopefully if any of you ever head north to DC, i can return the favor!!!:wine:

dwlovell
September 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have been swimming at Dyanamo-Chamblee for about a month now and its a good bunch of people. Not sure what I can help with, I know you can swim 3 workouts for free without signing up for anything, not sure about longer term occasional drop in swimming. The website does have an email addres for the coach Maria Thrash, so if you think you will be in the area, drop her a line and I am sure you can get the info you need. (http://www.dynamomasters.com/news.php?extend.41)

As for the facility, there is a covered outdoor 10 lane 50 meter pool, an indoor 10 lane 25 yard pool, and a 5 lane training pool.

One really cool thing about the Dynamo Chamblee pool is it appears it has been used for some serious competition because half of the pool records for the indoor pool were set by Michael Phelps from some meet in 2003 and it is pretty inspiring to look up and see those as goals every day.

Lump
September 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
One really cool thing about the Dynamo Chamblee pool is it appears it has been used for some serious competition because half of the pool records for the indoor pool were set by Michael Phelps from some meet in 2003 and it is pretty inspiring to look up and see those as goals every day.

I spent the better part of my life in those pools at Chamblee....memories! :fish2: