PDA

View Full Version : Help with freestyle breathing

mikey123
September 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'm having trouble with the freestyle stroke breathing technique. I start off by inhaling, then swimming 3 strokes. When I roll over to the side to breath, I either end up swallowing water, or just simply sink without being able to take a breath. What can I do to fix this?

norascats
September 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Keep kicking. You need to keep your forward motion steady. You might put in a small scissor kick when you breathe.

geochuck
September 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Breathe on one side either left or right which ever feels best. Many people have trouble when they start bilateral breathing. It takes a while to feel comfortable.

mjtyson
September 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
You could always hold off on practicing the bilateral breathing til your pull sets. The pull buoy will keep your body in line and level and maybe that'll fix the weak side??

Or even one-arm free on the weak side? Have you tried that? Unsure if that would be worse...let us know if you try that.

Cheers,

notsofast
September 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
It sounds like you are where I was a couple of years ago. Just keep practicing! As you improve, you will figure out how to let small amounts of water into your mouth without inhaling it. In a couple of months, no water will enter your mouth.

notsofast
September 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Thought about this more while I was swimming today. May be a balance problem, in which case you can find lots of balance drills by using this site's search engine. Also, your pull may be weak on the side you breathe on.

ensignada
September 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Quite a few thread deal with this - search "bilateral".

What helped me was doing sets of 300 - 100 bilateral, 100 easy side, 100 hard side and repeat.

(That said, I'm still not comfortable doing it and have to 'make myself'.)