View Full Version : Swimmer's Goggles Get Him Banned From Pool

Leonard Jansen
September 19th, 2008, 07:32 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4783325.ece

-LBJ

Lump
September 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Goggles?

Its a mask, plain and simple. Whatever floats his boat. Lame excuses the pool makes, thats for sure.:yawn:

knelson
September 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
So was he banned or just told he couldn't wear the mask? I have to think there's more to this story than just kicking the guy out for wearing this mask. The guy is probably a jerk and they were just looking for a convenient excuse to boot him.

haroldbuck
September 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
If it's not shatterproof, that's a good reason to tell him he can't use it, right?

ensignada
September 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
If it's not shatterproof, that's a good reason to tell him he can't use it, right?

That would do it for me. I don't know why anyone would wear non-shatterproof goggles anyway.

MindTrikSwimmer
September 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
THOSE are not GOGGLES...plain and simple...its a dive mask PERIOD...

USMSarah
September 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
If that mask shattered in the pool, he could cut his eye or the fragments could cut someone else. If I was the pool manager, I'd tell him to take them off. I wouldn't want someone to get hurt just because he wanted to wear his old mask.

geochuck
September 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Years ago a University Professor was banned from using the McMaster University, Hamilton Ont. pool because he would go underwater and ogle the females at the pool.

He would put his goggles on and stare at all the chicks underwater.

ddunbar
September 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM
No glass in the pool. I played underwater hockey for a couple of years and you did not get in the water unless your gear passed inspection. It had to be a mask, water polo cap, and a snorkle with a large mouth guard and not just goggles. The leaded puck could do some damage when you caught it in the face.

bigirishape
September 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Years ago a University Professor was banned from using the McMaster University, Hamilton Ont. pool because he would go underwater and ogle the females at the pool.

He would put his goggles on and stare at all the chicks underwater.

Wait, that's a bad thing??! Kidding... :P

I'm actually from Hamilton originally, hadn't heard that story from family who graduated from there.

As for the goggles, I'd have asked him to get a new set if I were owner/employee of the facility. Do you really want to run the risk that they'll shatter on the odd chance, and then you have to drain the pool to locate the glass, and refill, etc... Easily avoided by asking him to change to a newer mask.

I don't think they should have banned him unless he was being a dink about it.

stillwater
September 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Has anyone ever seen a mask shatter?

Would it send shards of glass flying into young innocent children's eyeballs? Would it explode into a dangerous fireball of injury, death, and lawsuits?

If his self image is so strong that he is comfortable wearing that silly thing so be it. Leave him alone.

Or not, if your boss is a fool.

haroldbuck
September 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Would it send shards of glass flying into young innocent children's eyeballs? Would it explode into a dangerous fireball of injury, death, and lawsuits?

If his self image is so strong that he is comfortable wearing that silly thing so be it. Leave him alone.

You're kidding, right? Do they let you bring glass bottles into the pool area? No, because if you drop them they'll break, and if they break they're a pain in the ass to clean up, and if you miss a little shard of glass then eventually someone is going to step on it in bare feet. And if it broke and got glass in the pool, how do you clean that up? I'm no expert, but it seems to me that there's a chance you might need to drain the pool to clean it up.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say, "You can't bring stuff in here that could end up being a big pain in the ass to clean up. Spend a few extra dollars and buy a shatterproof mask, you jackass." Although they might need to be more diplomatic.

2fish&1whale
September 20th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Our outdoor pool started the ban of glass bottles this year, because the insurance required it.If glass had broken near or in the pool they would have been forced to drain the pool -and that is not cheap.

geochuck
September 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
There is a ban on using glasses at the pool that I swim at in Mexico. But I can still get a bottle of beer at the swim up bar. They serve their Margaritas and Pina Coladas in huge glasses right on the deck during happy hour.

My how time flys just a few more weeks and Mexico here I come.

marksman
September 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Before I saw the picture, I knew it'd be some old dude in a mask. You can find them at every pool.

Jeff Commings
September 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM
How do they know the glass is not shatter-proof? Did they have a previous incident with that exact mask? Did they drop them away from the deck and the eyepiece shattered into millions of pieces?

I would find it odd that this guy bought a diving mask that is made of easily shatterable glass. If you're going diving, you need material that is shatter-proof, right? I would sue the mask manufacturer if I had a diving mask that shattered at a swimming pool.

There's much more to this story, as was said before. Obviously, the reporter is not a swimmer, or he would have known that it's very rare to own a pair of goggles or a dive mask that is not shatter-proof.

geochuck
September 20th, 2008, 06:25 PM
When I was in the pool this morning I saw some old dudes that wore regular goggles and saw some young punks wearing masks like those worn in the picture.

Allen Stark
September 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
When I saw the headline I thought it was stupid,but now I am not sure.First,that is not goggles.Second,you can't have glass around a pool.At last Nats you had to sign saying you wouldn't bring glass on the pool deck.I am not sure where shatterproof glass fits in this,but a facemask with out shatterproof glass seems a very stupid idea.

nkfrench
September 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Masks used to be made with a glass lens years ago, before goggles were used by pool swimmers. I bet that mask is over 40 years old and the manufacturer isn't even around. Broken clear glass would be almost impossible to see on a pool bottom. Swimmers are generally barefoot! I think the pool folks made the correct call.

ced357
September 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
The lenses might only be part of the problem.

I used to be a lifeguard at a pool that did not allow this type of mask. Our employer explained that there was an incident sometime back where a man was using this type of mask and suffered a heart attack. Apparently, the goggles interfered with the rescue attempt. I don't know if the problem was with rescue breathing and CPR etc. I always thought that was strange because couldn't they just remove the goggles easily. But I wasn't there and do not know what exactly occurred. However, the man did not survive and the goggles were then banned.

haroldbuck
September 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM
The lenses might only be part of the problem.

I used to be a lifeguard at a pool that did not allow this type of mask. Our employer explained that there was an incident sometime back where a man was using this type of mask and suffered a heart attack. Apparently, the goggles interfered with the rescue attempt. I don't know if the problem was with rescue breathing and CPR etc. I always thought that was strange because couldn't they just remove the goggles easily. But I wasn't there and do not know what exactly occurred. However, the man did not survive and the goggles were then banned.

I could imagine a case where there was a neck injury, in which case you don't want to be messing around with pulling goggles off the person's head. Normal goggles might not be in the way of rescue breathing, but these might. In any case, once there's a case like this, I think the insurance companies start making it a condition of the insurance that they ban certain things, so that could be why it's banned at other pools.

PJElder
September 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I think his neck injury would be from checking out the woman in the pool. His mistake was not making sure the goggles mirrored :)

If he dies while swimming, is there not a better way to go?

mermaid
September 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Glass snorkle goggles? UGHHH :dedhorse:

gshaw
September 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
The Swiss Cottage Sports Center is a great place for lap swimming in London. Everything in London is expensive but for around $8 you can get a good workout in a beautiful 25 meter pool. Weight rooms are included in the price and there is a nice restaurant overlooking the pool. It's a great spot.

I never saw anyone there like that dude.

geochuck
September 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
For $31.00 a month I can swim everday in three 25 meter pools in our town all three have huge fitness centers.

I saw a guy in one of the pools the other day and he had almost the identical mask and a snorkel.

Khover2002
September 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
I have to think there's more to this story than just kicking the guy out for wearing this mask.

I'm inclined to agree. I would think first they would have asked him to replace the facemask with either goggles or some other shatter-proof alternative.

It's actually kinda sad that someone decided this was newsworthy. From the spin on the story--notice the way the headline was worded, the quote from the man and the paraphrased response from the manager--it sounds like this guy really took it personally and decided to raise a stink.

islandsox
September 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Boy, I don't know, it's just a dive mask for crying out loud and dive masks are NOT glass; haven't seen a glass mask in, what, 30 years? and even if it is optical prescription, it is still plastic. Optometrists don't use glass for goggles or masks anymore; at least not that I have seen or heard unless requested.

I wonder if he had added a snorkel if they would have allowed it. Stupid thing to ban someone because he uses a dive mask; it's not that he's into racing and setting records; probably just enjoyment. Hey, this guy's a senior citizen and enjoying swimming for health and fun; I commend him. (he's MY age!)

Donna

Ripple
September 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Boy, I don't know, it's just a dive mask for crying out loud and dive masks are NOT glass; haven't seen a glass mask in, what, 30 years?...Donna

I just hauled my snorkel mask out of the closet to look at it, and stamped on the lens it says "tempered glass". It's three years old, not an expensive one at all, but I seem to recall that the masks in a local dive shop in all price ranges were also stamped "tempered glass" the last time I was in there browsing. So presumably this fellow is using one that doesn't have that stamp on it and it may very well be more than 30 years old. (The black rubber is sort of a give-away, as mask gaskets now tend to come in clear or colorful silicon.)
I've seen people training for winter vacations in snorkel gear at the local pool, and the lifeguards don't seem to mind, so that little stamp on the bottom of the lens may make all the difference. Or, as another poster suggested, perhaps the guy was being a jerk in other ways and that was just the technicality they needed to get rid of him.

stussy96
September 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Would it explode into a dangerous fireball of injury, death, and lawsuits?

I would pay to see goggles explode into a massive fireball.

Seriously, it's glass people. It's a dumb thing to have this on the deck at all...but I can understand all his complaining if all these other pools are allowing it and one is not.

sbchick4
September 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Where I lifeguarded a few years back masks were not allowed. We were told it was because if you had to do CPR and put a mask on the guy it would interfere and every second counts (and you know how those things can some times kind of suction to your face pretty good). Anyways, it was a new pool at the time and a lot of people did not like this rule at all, we had an older gentleman who fought about it and tried to bring his mask in every time he came in hoping none of the guards would notice. I think the aquatics director finally agreed that if it was an experienced diver (not sure how she would be able to prove that) they could wear the mask, if it was a child or someone who didn't know what they were doing, they couldn't do it.