PDA

View Full Version : Nike is getting out the swimming business

tjrpatt
September 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Wow, Nike is getting out of the championship swimming business. So, once the swimmer's contracts are up, they won't be able to get the same kind of money from Speedo that they got from Nike. Shocking news.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26827098

knelson
September 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
This is big news, but not really all that surprising. When Nike's sponsored athletes don't even want to wear their suits you knew they had problems.

aquageek
September 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I can't think of a single product segment that Nike's products are better or even comparable to others with the notable exception of basketball shoes. Nike's suits are crap, their goggles worse, their workout apparel is cheap and their running shoes are dreadful.

Doug Adamavich
September 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I can't think of a single product segment that Nike's products are better or even comparable to others with the notable exception of basketball shoes. Nike's suits are crap, their goggles worse, their workout apparel is cheap and their running shoes are dreadful.

True that!

Too bad New Balance doesn't make swimwear ;-)

Back in the day, Arena was BIG here in the US. In fact, most of us wore Arena suits until college. They had better product than Speedo back then methinks, but that was over twenty years ago.

I've never been a Nike fan, even when it was "cool" in Junior High :)

elise526
September 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM

I bet you are a New Balance freak!

aquageek
September 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not in the NB cult. Actually just bought a new pair of Sauconys this past weekend.

Paul Smith
September 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I had heard a rumor awhile back that they were attempting to buy out Blue 70...which would have jumped started them right back into the game without spending a lot of time/money developing new technologies.

Pretty scary though as Nike did sponsor a fair amount of simmers who...in this economy...are going to have a tough go of it post college with one less major sponsor oppurtunity.

Allen Stark
September 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Interesting the deal quoted in the article that Nike got "Podium rights" and got more exposure from Phelps than Speedo did.

Lump
September 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
This is only partly true. Its being handed over to Perry Ellis who will continue as the licensee for Nike Swim. I have it from a solid source.

tjrpatt
September 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Their suits aren't that great. Plus, didn't Aaron Piersol have a big rip in one of his suits at the Athens games, I think. Wasn't some Italian swimmer sponsored by Arena? I wonder why Adidas swimwear hasn't gotten into the US Market.

Nathan
September 23rd, 2008, 01:59 AM
I wonder why Adidas swimwear hasn't gotten into the US Market.

They did until early this decade. Ed Moses was their big guy for awhile; then they, like Nike here, left the elite market.

2fish&1whale
September 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
As long as they continue making the goggles I prefer to wear I don't really care.
I accidentaly left my regular Nike goggles at home yesterday and had to use a Speedo pair I had just bought this summer.
Bad idea!
Just after 3-4 laps the entire area around my eyes was burning and hurt so bad I ended up sticking my face in the water fountain to get some cold water on it.
I suspect the gasket around the lense may contain Latex and I am allergic to it.
The goggles are one of Speedos top sellers and I can't imagine they would still use it in their products.

Carry on.......

Warren
September 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
This is too bad but I'v always been a speedo guy myself. Arena has fallen off a little too.

USMSarah
September 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
The only nike swim products I like are the poly lingerie strap suits and their version of sweedes goggles. Hopefully they will still sell those...

I agree that their running shoes and workout gear absolutely stink - I'd be better off running barefoot.

I remember some of the other suit companies losing steam here in the US... Hind, Arena, The Finals. I really liked the finals suits.

elise526
September 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
In defense of Nike from one who got a stress fracture in her hip while training in New Balance shoes, for eight years, the only shoe I have bought is Nike. Although I run less now than I did a four years ago, I had many 25-30 mile weeks in Nikes and had no injuries or problems once I switched to Nike.

Also, I found the workout suits to fit better and hold up better than any brand.

swimshark
September 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
I just bought a pair of Nikes and they feel like I'm running on air. I love them. I wore them all day on Sunday and didn't sit from 9:30 until 3:30 and my feet felt fine. I had a Nike suit that lasted 18 months before finally wearing fully out. They do have some good qualities. I only wish I could get back into the employee store now and see if they are selling off their elite suits cheap!

Dolphin 2
September 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Wow, Nike is getting out of the championship swimming business. So, once the swimmer's contracts are up, they won't be able to get the same kind of money from Speedo that they got from Nike. Shocking news.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26827098

It's about time that one of the suit makers started dropping the idea of making "champion swimwear". As I've said repeatedly, the tech suit idea is simply a marketing gimmick inwhich the apparel makers can take "collateral credit" for the athlete's achievement.

Promoting a product by saying that "He/she set a world's record while wearing our suit" is a pretty flimsy marketing tactic to say the least. General Mills Cereal Co. actually had more credibility when they put Mark Spitz's picture on a box of Wheeties.

aquageek
September 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Promoting a product by saying that "He/she set a world's record while wearing our suit" is a pretty flimsy marketing tactic to say the least.

Really, you sure about that? Why don't you ask Nike about the impact of Tiger and Michael Jordan wearing their products. I have heard that between the two they generate hundreds of millions in revenue for Nike so, as usual, you are flat out wrong. Take a look at Nike pre Air Jordan and then 15 years later.

thewookiee
September 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Really, you sure about that? Why don't you ask Nike about the impact of Tiger and Michael Jordan wearing their products. I have heard that between the two they generate hundreds of millions in revenue for Nike so, as usual, you are flat out wrong. Take a look at Nike pre Air Jordan and then 15 years later.

It sounds like Geek is trying to say "Dolphin2 should get out of the being wrong on swimming business"

haroldbuck
September 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM

I think the post was claiming it was flimsy as in "not substantial enough that reasonable people should care about it," not as in "successful." That sort of marketing is obviously successful because most people aren't reasonable.

Millions bought Air Jordans because they wanted to "be like Mike." How many of those people became anything like Mike? And of those, how many were the shoes responsible for?

aquageek
September 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM
How many of those people became anything like Mike? And of those, how many were the shoes responsible for?

Doesn't matter one single lick. Nike is selling an attitude, although with flimsy shoes. All I know is that when I got my first pair of AJs, circa 1984, I felt like a BA, even though I still sucked, but I could jump higher.

haroldbuck
September 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Doesn't matter one single lick. Nike is selling an attitude, although with flimsy shoes

Whether it matters depends on your objective function. It certainly matters to the people who thought the shoes were going to help them play basketball better and then realized that they didn't.

But in terms of Nike's profits, it doesn't matter why people buy their stuff or whether their stuff is any good, as long as people buy it.

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I'm not in the NB cult. Actually just bought a new pair of Sauconys this past weekend.

I would bet that you have very wide feet. Sponsored swimmers have to wear Speedos. they can't wear Nike if they are competing as a national team member. Why shouldn't Nike scrap swimming sponsorships.

Nike shoes aren't crap. Most running shoes are designed for a specific type of foot shape. I once bought a pair of ND. they fell apart right off of my feet. i have thin feet with short toes. Nike shoes are perfect for me. Saucony are pretty bad for my feet also. Not enough room in the toebox to fit my webbed toes.