PDA

View Full Version : Should we Pittsburghers secede from the Union?

jim thornton
September 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Though I concede that there are some nice meets in Ohio, most of the USMS meets in nice pools that are relatively close to Pittsburgh are in the Washington, D.C. areas.

Western Pa is severed off from the rest of PA by the arbitrary whim of gerrymandering USMS bureacrats--a naked land grab by the Great Lakes region.

Are we not a Colony?

Do we not have a red or white stripe on the American flag signifying our membership in one of the original 13 colonies?

Wouldn't it be fun to create a huge brouhaha amongst the hierarchy of the organization--and petition for our rights to join in our rightful Colonies Zone?

Join me, my fellow Pittsburghers striving for freedom from Midwestern bumpkinesque values! Let us together unite and in one voice demand our rights to be part and parcel of the Eastern Swimming Elite, that is to say, members in full standing of the Colonies Zone!

What say ye?

--Genghis Jim

mermaid
September 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
With your help and support, I'd like to get Allegheny Mountain up off the death-bed. I don't think switching zones is the answer.

I respectively disagree with your recommendation.

Peter Cruise
September 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Jim will have some salacious ulterior motive for this....

jim thornton
September 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Did you know that 10 percent of the earth's population, or at least China's, are descendants of Ghenghis Khan?

Perhaps this is my salacious motive, to have 10 percent of future USMS swimmers be descendants of me, achievable only after I have gathered a rag tag army of swimmers, assembled them into a fighting force with loyalty only to me, seceded from the Great Lakes zone, joined CZ, taken over CZ, then turned back on Great Lakes, taken them over, and so forth, conquering all, leaving seed throughout...

Is this what you mean by salacious motives?

Genghis Jim

chowmi
September 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Though I concede that there are some nice meets in Ohio, most of the USMS meets in nice pools that are relatively close to Pittsburgh are in the Washington, D.C. areas.

Western Pa is severed off from the rest of PA by the arbitrary whim of gerrymandering USMS bureacrats--a naked land grab by the Great Lakes region.

Are we not a Colony?

Do we not have a red or white stripe on the American flag signifying our membership in one of the original 13 colonies?

Wouldn't it be fun to create a huge brouhaha amongst the hierarchy of the organization--and petition for our rights to join in our rightful Colonies Zone?

Join me, my fellow Pittsburghers striving for freedom from Midwestern bumpkinesque values! Let us together unite and in one voice demand our rights to be part and parcel of the Eastern Swimming Elite, that is to say, members in full standing of the Colonies Zone!

What say ye?

--Genghis Jim

You're the Keystone State!!!

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
I am planning a move to Pittsburgh in August. This weekend i will be there por meetings and to find a place to live. I hope it is fruitful. If we could only get better informed information at some pools that might break the need to secede. I am after all moving there from the great state of Illinois. You know what we do with those who secede.

I still can't get accurate information or maybe consistent information is a better word about masters at Pitt. Is ther ea team at Trees or not. If yes when? Also i am recovering form surgeries. I am only doing between 1600 and 2000 yards (was doing 4000 at Christmas tiem) will theree be a place for me to swim?

chowmi
April 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.jccsailfish.org/index.html

Were you asking about the "J"?

Here is their USA website, JCCS. Under practice schedule, they list masters times at the bottom. Try emailing the coaches for more info. I hear the facility is nice.

chowmi
April 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.teampittsburgh.com/html/New%20Site/index.htm

Try this. Click on the master program on the left scroll at the bottom. It always looked suspiciously outdated to me, but it says it's been updated on 03/19/09.

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
When I called 3 Rivers I was told it is for kids not masters. I don't know what to think about Trees. Pitt says it has no masters team swimming in any of its pools. I did click on masters and got an error message. I know guys who swim at Trees and they say they've never known about a masters plan. But they aren't masters swimmers. They are grad students who sometimes swim to work off steam.

chowmi
April 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
South Hills's Masters Swim Team

Masters Swim Team Rep: Carol Ide
YMCA Address : 79 McMurry Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15241
YMCA Phone : 412-833-5600

Call Carole Ide. A lot of USMS people swim attached to SHY for Y Nationals; it's like a who's who of USMS on their team. (Guilty! I joined last year but couldn't go to Y Nationals. At least I can say I really am from PIT!)

I know some masters swim at JCCS, who swim on South Hills Y.

I got it from here:

http://www.amymsa.org/

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I found what you are talking about. I am afraid, very afraid. Doesn't anyone swim on Saturdays in Pennsylvania? The schedule looks very suspicious. I tried to e-mail the name given and got an error message. The site connection did give information about an open water swim last summer that seemed to be accurate. I wonder if all of this is just a wild goose chase I have been put on?

chowmi
April 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Did you know that 10 percent of the earth's population, or at least China's, are descendants of Ghenghis Khan?

My sister-in-law.

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Michelle,

Now that I see you are in Texas, I am even more worried. lol. I will call the number. This is way too difficult. I can get information about almost any pool here in Illinois in about 15 minutes most. I have been trying to get this for months. I've called pools, I've talked with people in Phillie, and I've talked with people I know from Pittsburgh who swim through out the country.

Craig

chowmi
April 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Craig,

The Chow family grew up in PIT and swam JCCS all the way thru high school. My brother swims with the masters group sometimes. Not sure the arrangement, but it seems most of that group swims attached to South Hills. Many are former JCCS swimmers.

Try PM'ing Mermaid or Jim (above); Mermaid is In-the-know on all things AMS.

mermaid
April 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Go to www.alleghenymountainmasters.org

everything is current there.

most of us "regulars" will be at a Y regional meet this weekend and won't be around www.amymsa.org

WARNING: swimming in Pitts is not like other major metro areas.

Bobinator
April 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
We midwesterners ain't Bumpkins! We swim good meets in our cement ponds too! :blush:

tjrpatt
April 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Are we not a Colony?

What say ye?

--Genghis Jim

As a fellow Pennsylvanian(East Side), it is really odd that you guys are in Colonies Zone. From the USMS map, it seems 2/3 of PA is in Colonies while the other 1/3 is in Great Lakes. California and PA are the only states that are in different Zones. I am sure that Colonies Champs are closer for you guys than any Great Lake Zone champs. I have to agree that the last 1/3 of PA belongs in the Colonies Zones. I think that all of PA is in the Middle Atlantic LSC for USA Swimming.

swimmieAvsFan
April 4th, 2009, 08:45 PM
... I think that all of PA is in the Middle Atlantic LSC for USA Swimming.

actually, middle atlantic (for USA-S) and delaware valley (for USMS) are roughly equivalent. meaning they both only cover the eastern 1/3 to 1/2 of the state. pittsburgh age-group swimmers are in the allegheny mountain LSC... but jim is right that it's arbitrary where the line is drawn- lock haven, which is east of state college, is part of allegheny mountain (when they have a masters team in town), while state college is part of delaware valley (when they have a registered masters team in town)... :dunno:

tjrpatt
April 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
actually, middle atlantic (for USA-S) and delaware valley (for USMS) are roughly equivalent. meaning they both only cover the eastern 1/3 to 1/2 of the state. pittsburgh age-group swimmers are in the allegheny mountain LSC... but jim is right that it's arbitrary where the line is drawn- lock haven, which is east of state college, is part of allegheny mountain (when they have a masters team in town), while state college is part of delaware valley (when they have a registered masters team in town)... :dunno:

That is really odd that Lock Haven is not in Delaware Valley while Penn State area is. Thanks for the clarification on Pitt's LSC. For some reason, I thought that area was in the Middle Altantic.

jim thornton
April 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I would like to give Kudos to Mermaid and Coach Tillitson of Clarion, who were able to get our weekend AMYMSA championships recognized for USMS. It's the first time since I moved to PA in 1995 that I have been able to swim in a USMS recognized meet in PA.

Mermaid is tugging our little outpost towards modernity. I think there were some Top 10 times set at the meet, and we had some relative youngsters (early 30s) do some blistering times, including a 53.4 in the 100 back by 30-something Dave Sheets, coach of Duquesne, and a 4:48 (I think) in the 400 I.M. by his wife, the above mentioned Coach Tillitson of Clarion.

50 year old Janet McDunnogh (spelling) also swam a 50 back lead off in the medley relay which would have set the new YMCA record for her age group.

Thanks, Mermaid, for your unpaid but nonetheless greatly appreciated efforts.