PDA

View Full Version : What time of the day do you swim?

ddl
September 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Hi, do most of you swim in early morning, or evening (yeah I know many swim twice a day)? Or during daytime? Reason?

For the lucky folks who have their own private pool or live by the ocean, or your pool is nearby, you can swim whenver you want, but I swim in public swimming pool which is about an hour transportation from my home:(, so even though I wish to swim in early morning, it's hard, especially during weekdays. Are there any folks in my situation? (Sorry if there has been similar post in the past, which I haven't found.) How do you manage? I'll be interested, thanks.

Lump
September 25th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Suck it up and you'll get used to it. Now I don't feel right if I don't go in the morning. I also find myself waking up at 5 AM even on the weekends since I'm in a pattern now (not that I get up every time).

mjgold
September 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
My team has practices in the evenings except on Saturdays, which are in the morning. I also swim in the mornings sometimes.

knelson
September 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I seriously doubt "many" are swimming twice a day.

RobbieD
September 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
It's very seldom that I get to the pool while the sun is up... I usually swim somewhere between 8 and 10 PM . You can definitely tell too... I'm not exactly tan.

2fish&1whale
September 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I do better mid morning, but because of my new job I now have to swim in the early afternoon a couple of times a week.
I am not very disciplined and I'm afraid that as the month pass I 'll skip those days because it makes it feel like my day
comes to a screeching halt when i have to drop stuff and get to the pool.
The only benefit I can see coming from this new practice time is that when I swim in the morning I often find myself crashing by 2-3pm.
To fix that I would fill up on :coffee:-and then I have a hard time falling asleep when it matters.

pdjang
September 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I'm up at 4:45am and at poolside at 5:50ish. The lifeguards are on the stands at 6:00am and that's when I jump in.

I swim alone - but with other lap swimmers. We have an indoor 25 yard pool and an outdoor 50 meter pool that is current split by a bulkhead. I think we have about 30 SCY lanes. In addition to the lap swimmers, there are two age group teams, the high school team and the university team (women).

This morning at about 6:45am, I saw the most amazing sunrises - blue skies with purple-pinkish clouds. A great reason to get up and go swimming!

poolraat
September 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Most days I'm up at 5:00 and at the pool at 6:00 when they open. 2 or 3 days a week I swim with a friend, the rest of the time I swim alone. Saturdays the pool opens at 7:00 and and since the pool is closed on Sunday that is my rest day.

ddunbar
September 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I am in the evening practice - 6:45 - 7:45 pm on T & Th and the Saturday mornings. I am already up at 5:30 to get through PT exercises and then to enjoy the Houston commuting traffic to get to the Office by 8:00 am. I found that when I did swim in the mornings, the fatigue stayed with me at work for a good part of the morning.

The Fortress
September 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Early afternoon or evening is my preferred time to exercise. I drag myself to one morning practice on Sunday (9:15 am). I won't even enter a meet if it starts too early. It just takes me awhile to wake up. Night owl, no early bird whatsoever.

tjrpatt
September 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I am on the fall winter schedule so we only have Wed and Friday morning practices. The rest of the days are at night. It is killing me because I don't have a set pattern like I did in the summer. Hopefully, next week, I can get back to doing the Wed and Friday morning practices.

aztimm
September 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'm up at 4:45am and at poolside at 5:50ish. The lifeguards are on the stands at 6:00am and that's when I jump in.

I swim alone - but with other lap swimmers. We have an indoor 25 yard pool and an outdoor 50 meter pool that is current split by a bulkhead. I think we have about 30 SCY lanes. In addition to the lap swimmers, there are two age group teams, the high school team and the university team (women).

This morning at about 6:45am, I saw the most amazing sunrises - blue skies with purple-pinkish clouds. A great reason to get up and go swimming!

Hey Philipp--

I swam with the masters group at NMSU in June while I was in Las Cruces for work. It is a small group, but a few guys were very fast. The pool is really nice too. If it isn't too far for you (and really, in Las Cruces not much is that far), you should try to swim with them.

That said, when I swim really depends on when I can squeeze in running and weights. In summer here in the Phoenix area, I've been running 2 mornings during the week, and moved my swimming to those evenings, swimming the other mornings. I'll probably switch back to all mornings next week, as our heat is starting to break and I should be able to run at night (plus I have a work training downtown so that would be more convenient). Generally, I swim with the team at 6am, sometimes 6pm, and occasionally at noon (every now and then I'll do a 6am and 6pm). Rarely will I swim on Sat mornings.

Mary1912
September 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
up at 4:55AM...in the pool by 5:35am...4 days a week. I take one day off because I have to catch up on my sleep bank.

I'm certifiably insane but I love it.

ddl
September 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Thank you all for the replies and participating the poll :)

> This morning at about 6:45am, I saw the most amazing sunrises - blue skies
> with purple-pinkish clouds. A great reason to get up and go swimming!

pdjang, I so admire you can see that view when going swimming!!!

Those who swim in the morning, I suppose you all live close to the pool? For those of you getting up 4:45ish, I wonder when do you go to bed in the evening? I wouldn't believe you go to bed at 9pm already. Maybe you don't need much sleep every day?

Jazz Hands
September 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
The time of day I swim is almost completely random. As early as 7 in the morning, and as late as 9 at night. Pretty much whenever I have time and I feel like swimming.

Allen Stark
September 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I wasn't sure how to respond.Mon and Wed I swim at noon,Tues I swim after work,Fri I swim before work(why is a longer explanation than anyone would be interested in.)

Rykno
September 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
we have 20:00 - 21:30 tuesdays and thursdays and sunday morning 8:30-10.

before we had 20-21:30 M, T and Th.

iswim41
September 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I swim when I can, but try to actually swim laps three-four days a week. I work two jobs, one of which is teaching swimming three days a week, so I'm in the water at least six days a week.

Laps are either in the afternoon or evening.