PDA

View Full Version : freestyle looking for critique and suggestions

islanddancer
September 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hi,
I have been learning how to swim freestyle for almost a year now.

I swim almost everyday, but my workout is quite random. I mean the workout is quite random, I don't have a good plan to follow.

Could you please give me some suggestions on how to proceed?

I have uploaded a single arm drill video to youtube for your critique, and I will upload more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BlFpddPhZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq66U34_seI
for this video, my right arm entry point is too wide and too close, my breathing side is right, I don't know if the cause. Now I am trying to correct that.

Thanks for looking!

mjgold
September 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
As far as structured workouts go, here is a good site with some beginner workouts for endurance, form, and speed: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528

You can manipulate them as you want. For example, today I did the 800m endurance workout, but I did the Drill set 3 times and for the Ladder, I did 25, 50, 75, 50, 25 and then worked on underwater pulls and breakouts since I was focusing on breaststroke for the day.

islanddancer
September 28th, 2008, 12:13 AM
As far as structured workouts go, here is a good site with some beginner workouts for endurance, form, and speed: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528

You can manipulate them as you want. For example, today I did the 800m endurance workout, but I did the Drill set 3 times and for the Ladder, I did 25, 50, 75, 50, 25 and then worked on underwater pulls and breakouts since I was focusing on breaststroke for the day.

That is very nice, thanks, I will post more videos for critique. Since I was mostly learning by watching videos on youtube, the technique may be quite bad. I only had a coach for a quarter or so.

geochuck
September 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Next time raise the tripod too much reflection. Appears you are not in streamline fishtailing. Not enough body roll, right arm has elbow drop when above water, your forearm looks like it is leading the elbow (shooting foreword.

islanddancer
September 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Next time raise the tripod too much reflection. Appears you are not in streamline fishtailing. Not enough body roll, right arm has elbow drop when above water, your forearm looks like it is leading the elbow (shooting foreword.

sure, next time I will make the camera higher.

Could you explain on the forearm movement? How should I feel when I do the recovery?

Thanks!

tomtopo
September 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
It's very difficult to give you any hints on what to correct. What you do above the water is important but what you do below the water is much more important. Janet Evans had a straight-arm recovery but held World Records for over 19 years (recently broke at these Games). So, have some hold the camera and swim 12 1/2 yards toward the camera multiple times. Good luck!

islanddancer
September 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
It's very difficult to give you any hints on what to correct. What you do above the water is important but what you do below the water is much more important. Janet Evans had a straight-arm recovery but held World Records for over 19 years (recently broke at these Games). So, have some hold the camera and swim 12 1/2 yards toward the camera multiple times. Good luck!

That is a good idea, I wil do it. Thanks.

iswim41
September 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm in the camp of what you do underwater is more important. That said, if you reach as far forward before entering the water and making sure your exit is at your hips, your pull underwater is at a maximum.

geochuck
September 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Underwater is most important but if you mess up on top, your underwater activity is at a huge disadvantage. If you view a video from the top you can also catch a lot of mistakes that happen underwater.

I like to have 3 or 4 above water videos and 4 or 5 underwater videos when I look at videos.