PDA

View Full Version : why head above the water when kicking with kick board?

islanddancer
September 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
that is my general observation in the pool. Is there some reason for that? why not submerge the head when kicking? Is that better for developing leg and hip strength?

Thanks.

ViveBene
September 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
You don't have to keep your head above water when using a kick board. You can put your head in the water and lift or turn it only to breathe. You can use a different kind of board that provides you with a more ergonomic hand and head position while kicking. You can use no board at all.

Methinks some coaching would help. Do you have access to a coach?

:)

islanddancer
September 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM
You don't have to keep your head above water when using a kick board. You can put your head in the water and lift or turn it only to breathe. You can use a different kind of board that provides you with a more ergonomic hand and head position while kicking. You can use no board at all.

Methinks some coaching would help. Do you have access to a coach?

:)

In fact i had a coach for a quarter, and after that I began alone, now I am considering posting videos for critique. I would greatly appreciate it if you can have alook at my videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq66U34_seI

sbchick4
September 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
So you can chat with your buddies ;)

Lump
September 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Mine is up and down. Never always up. With my size the small size of my board I pretty much can't keep my head up the whole time.

norascats
October 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I 'm not comfortable with kickboards. If I use one, I rest my fingers on it and roll when I want to breathe.
I find the head up position hurts my back. I'd rather do roll in roll out drills.

david.margrave
October 2nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
I could do it as a kid, now I can't. Face partly submerged most of the time, and lift up or turn to breathe.

I think the old school kick boards were much bigger. But that was a long time ago and my memory of these things is getting vague.

david.margrave
October 2nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
Funny story. A coach told me that when in college, her coach at the time got irritated that the swimmers were doing more socializing than kicking, so he asked them to hand him their boards, and he proceeded to break them in half and give half a board to each swimmer. With half a board, more work and less talking was required.

2fish&1whale
October 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
For half of my workout I use a small triangular board and if I kept my head above water all the time I would be back where I started 2 years ago(severe lower back pain).
I have found that my head naturally want's to turn to the side with my chin tucked over my shoulder and I switch up sides every other lap(so I can keep an eye on the other swimmers).
A nice side effect is that I get a good stretch in between my sets.

sbchick4
October 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Funny story. A coach told me that when in college, her coach at the time got irritated that the swimmers were doing more socializing than kicking, so he asked them to hand him their boards, and he proceeded to break them in half and give half a board to each swimmer. With half a board, more work and less talking was required.

My coach did that...the talking was silenced for about a minute while we watched in amazement and thought what the heck is this crazy lady doing now! After that, back to business as usual...

cwilson
October 3rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
That is truly funny...I would love it if my son's coach would do something like that.

Syd
October 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I always choose the oldest, most waterlogged kickboard with the least buoyancy. Those firm, new ones push my shoulders up too high and put too much strain on my lower back.

I only place my hands lightly on it and usually have my face in the water most of the time. It is really just a little prop. Something to form the smallest amount of resistance against when I want to lift my head to breathe. Having said that, it probably isn't a good prop to have at all because it encourages lifting of the head as opposed to a rolling of the body initiated from the hips.

I am guessing the best way to kick would be without a board at all. Arms stretched out in front, eyes to the bottom of the pool with a roll to the side when a breath is needed. This way, however, is definitely more tiring.

Paul Smith
October 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Get rid of the kick board entirely for one month. Do kick sets using 6 x 6 and power kicks and see how much faster you get. Use the kick board after those 4 weeks for "social" kicks but stick to no board for most sets...and kick HARD!

ensignada
October 3rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
All the kickboards were being used by a kids' team my last workout. I grabbed a solid pull bouy and used that...MUCH easier on the neck and back because you can submerge it a little.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 4th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Haven't used a kick board for years. I do crawl kick on my side, fly on my back. seated back kick my head is out of the water my waist is bent usually called Krazelburg kick, or do regular back kick or one leg, and breast I hold on to pull buoy or just have hands in front. this is so much easier on my neck and lower back.

I also don't use a pull buoy for pulling. I just cross my legs and let them drag. It is create on your butt because you have tokeep your butt muscles flexed in order to keep you legs up.