PDA

View Full Version : vasomotor rhinitis

old dog
October 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
5 years ago I developed sinus problems which were so bad I was forced to stop swimming. Didn't matter if it was a pool, clean fresh water, or ocean...my sinuses almost exploded/plugged up and produced a huge amounts of post nasal FLOOD, not drip! Recent info leads me to believe I have vasomotor rhinitis due to swimming/immersion. It takes only 15 minutes in the water before the explosion occurs. Nose plugs don't help at all.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any cure? I miss swimming a ton. :0(

ALM
October 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Have you been tested for allergies? Chlorine is not an allergen, but is an irritant. If your sinuses are already sensitive due to some other allergy, the chlorine could be irritating them enough to make them react as you've described.

old dog
October 2nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
I do have some minor allergies year round for which I take antihistamines and singular. I get the same effects to water/immersion whether there is chlorine or not.

mjgold
October 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know if you've tried this, but someone I know had the same problem. She was told to breathe out of her nose and hum while exhaling. I'm not sure why, but it helped her a lot.