PDA

View Full Version : Why do you swim?

ddl
October 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Not sure if this has been asked here... For me, the first reason is that I don't want to be drowned in case of accident :cool: . The last reason is that I'm proud to tell people I swim :D . In between there are a lot of other reasons.

What about you? :confused:

SwimStud
October 2nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
Not sure if this has been asked here... For me, the first reason is that I don't want to be drowned in case of accident :cool: . The last reason is that I'm proud to tell people I swim :D . In between there are a lot of other reasons.

What about you? :confused:

Similar but mostly because I feel it would be wrong to deprive the world of seeing me in a Speedo...:laugh2:

jim thornton
October 2nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
Like Swimstud, I too think the world is a better place for seeing my magnificence in motion, espcially in a wet environment.

I swim for my mood.
I swim for clarity of thought after the swimming is over.
I swim because it gives me a sense of having accomplished something measureable on that day.
I swim because I love getting to see a group of friends and friendly acquaintances on a regular basis and with no need to contrive an excuse to do so--I like feeling part of a little tribe, if you will.
I swim because it saves on soap and water and deodorant costs.
I swim because the solitary mental life of the writer at home by himself needs balanced with a hard physical reduced thought life of few distractions and sharp focus on endurance, speed, and slip stream.
I swim to eat, eat to sleep. sleep to work, work to swim.
I swim like a lure in the hopes of snagging the occasional deepsea mermaid
i swim for my mood when the mermaid slips the hook
I swim because it is as close to a flying dream I can actually live in conscious life
I swim because I no longer drink so must submerse my head in liquid to recapture that swimming sensation i used to get by submersing liquid in my head.
I sleep so the novel hypnotics will work better at the day's end, and they have begun to, yes they have.
I swim to meet guys like Rich, Leslie, and Paul, the host of Allisons and Barbs and Danas and Muppets and Opligrovers and splendid little youngsters,one and all

this novelty hypnotic is kicking me on my ass! I must say. Swim away, little cuttlefish, and hope neither mr. moray nor the urinophilic candiru awaits in your den!

Good night.

Allen Stark
October 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
While there are many reasons I could give such as Thorton's list,what it comes down to is that I am a SWIMMER.It is a central organizing paradigm for my being.As I noted before,a friend asked my wife"is Allen still swimming?" and she replied"yes,he's still breathing."

Rykno
October 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
I do not really know why I decided to swim in the first place. I played soccer and baseball along with swimming from when i was 6 until I was 15. my freshman yr in HS I only played soccer and baseball. But I missed swimming, and dropped soccer and baseball and went to swimming full time.

I quit when our college cut the men's team, but only because I didn't know about Masters swimming.

I swim now, because it makes me happy. I love the feeling of being in the water, I love having goals and working hard in the pool to acheive those goals.

coffeegirl
October 2nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Sitting on the edge of the pool, toes dangling in the water, stretching the black cap with the pink flowers over my head, big breath…and I am in. Diving down to the bottom, pushing off and playing my way through the first fifty, this is why I swim. The feel of the water, gliding through effortlessly, playing like a child, this is why I swim.

Three special coaches who teach, encourage, analyze, and challenge. Each set seems designed just for me, what I need, but not necessarily what I want. They challenge and help me achieve times and workouts I never thought possible, this is why I swim.

Swimming in the fast lane with the high school kids, being their friend and a positive person in their life, and keeping up with their send offs, this is why I swim.

Sharing several hours a week with my 13 year old daughter discussing technique, nutrition, swim team gossip, and a love for a challenge and push, this is why I swim.

Friends to kick my butt, friends to have a Saturday morning breakfast with, relationships that strengthen you, this is why I swim.

Size 2 white jeans, this is why I swim!

2fish&1whale
October 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
My rear would be the size of Montana if I did not swim as often as I do.:mooning:

onefish
October 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
Ditto many of these items

I also swim because of friendships in Lane 4

And so my kids can laugh at my hair (becoming singular....) and see that dad is still young somewhere inside

For the pendulum regularity of strokes, workoutdays, seasons against the noise and bustle of the rest of life

Because it's a great excuse to travel to odd places and meet new people (or the other way around!)

Because I'd never seen New York from the quiet sloshing at Elevation 0 before

Because I can't run anymore, not that I was any good at it, just a simple pleasure in all weather

Because I am almost as fast as I was at age 13, so in a few years things are looking really good

And I almost always feel better afterwards

And my wife, kids and coworkers like that better than the alternative

dV

geochuck
October 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Swimming has been my life.

Health, Physical, Mental and Social well being.

moodyrichardson
October 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
I swim, because it makes me HAPPY! I'm so cranky, if I don't get to swim.
I swim, because I love the water. I can take that little bit of summer through the whole winter with me.
I swim, because it makes me stronger.
I swim, because it makes me healthier.
I swim, because I leave everything else in life at the locker room door.
I swim, because it's my "me" time.
I could keep going, but those are the most important reasons.

USMSarah
October 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
-Because I love it.
-Because I feel calm in the water.
-Because I need to exercise.
-Because I need some Sarah time.
-Because it makes me feel like a kid again.
-Because I love to compete.
-Because I enjoy being on a Masters team!

mjgold
October 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I just started swimming, but I've always loved the water (waverunners, boats, the beach). I've always felt connected to the water, but it comes out more when I swim--even in a pool. There's just something about slipping through the water--particularly when I'm alone--that brings out a calming, "zen" feeling. I see a lot of people use the word zen, but it's really the only way to describe it. So, I swim to feel that calm.

Also, I am a very competitive person. I also like being sort of an odd duck, which is why I like being good at a stroke most people seem to hate. So, I swim to compete as well.

Most of what everyone else has said applies too, except for the being fat thing. I've gained weight since I've started swimming, but in a good way.

matysekj
October 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
I swim because I can. This is also why I don't run. :toohurt:

pwb
October 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Swimming has been my life.

If I hadn't swum as a kid and if the ADHD diagnosis had been around then, I probably would've been doped up on something to calm me down. Swimming is my mood stabilizing drug of choice ... and my parents' tool of choice to deplete my energy

I swim because I'm hyper-competitive ... and I absolutely suck at every land sport I ever tried.

I swim because my dad swims ... and my kids swim because I swim ... circle of life kind of thing

I swim because I need to meditate ... but sitting on a mat for two hours just doesn't do it like cranking out some yards in a pool

I swim for those rare moments of "perfect flow" when my mind is clear, my stroke is perfectly connected with the water and I feel like I'm flying on top of the water

Mary1912
October 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Because I've loved the water since I was a toddler
Because I took private swim lessons most of my life and was good at it.
Because I grew up in Southern California where swimming is a year round activity.
Because I just simply love it
Because I feel wonderful after a swim. I don't feel the same way after a workout in the gym. It's a different feeling altogether.
Because I can still swim after 20 years out of the water.

The Fortress
October 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
A teammate said to me the other day, "I hate swimming, but I'm good at it. So I do it."

He was only being slightly sarcastic. lol

aquageek
October 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
It's the only sport left from my youth that I can do multiple times a week without risk of serious injury.

pwolf66
October 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Geek,

You could always go back to cheerleading :cheerleader:

Lump
October 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Lots of reasons I suppose, but mostly I guess because I miss it. I've recently just started back and my swimming days gave me my identity and made me who I am. Since I've been out of it I've searched and gone from one hobby to another, very few have stuck. If I could figure out how to make a decent (notice, not extravagant, thats not me) I would quit the business word.

tjrpatt
October 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Because I don't want to be fat anymore. Plus, it is the only thing athletic that I can do pretty well.

Doug Adamavich
October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Let me think about this one...ah, here are my answers:

I am good at it, always have been.
I suck at basketball, football, and any stick sport.
It is less dangerous and expensive than mountain biking.
Fewer injuries than running.
It makes me feel good.
I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself and accomplishing a goal.
I love to compete at it.
It keeps me healthy and fit.
It makes me better in the sack.
I can eat almost anything.
I can drink as much as I dare.
It relieves stress.
I keeps me young and active.
I have fun with my teammates and fellow swimmers.
It enables me to relive fun times from Age Group, HS, and College.
I learn more about it the longer I do it.
I get to give my skills and talents back to it.
It has give me many good memories.
I am sure there is more but I swim because it give me much more than I have ever given to it. It truly is a wonderful sport and is one I hope to do for the rest of my life.

aquageek
October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Geek,

You could always go back to cheerleading :cheerleader:

I've actually recently read where cheerleading is the most dangerous of all sports. I'm not going back to that.

aquageek
October 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I am sure there is more but I swim because it give me much more than I have ever given to it. It truly is a wonderful sport and is one I hope to do for the rest of my life.

Are you jmiller in disguise?

pwolf66
October 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
It makes me better in the sack.

TMI!!!! :eeew: :eeew:

ddl
October 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
my swimming days gave me my identity and made me who I am.

Every reply said very well, but this reason escaped me when I thought about the reasons why I swim. When I read this part by Lump, I just realized one big reason why I enjoy swimming so much. I can say it brings out more good things about me than any other physical activities I do. If I go back to swimmingless, an important part of who I am would be missing. :D

Midas
October 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM

I love this quote, but I'd shuffle it a bit.

I eat to swim, swim to sleep, sleep to work and work to eat.

All of that leaves out the most important thing in my life, which is my family. I do absolutely everything for them, or with them firmly in my mind.

I got back into swimming to lose weight and stay healthy. I stay for the comraderie (of my team) and the competition (of swim meets).

Doug Adamavich
October 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
TMI!!!!

It's the truth bro.

aquageek
October 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Truth be told, it's either swim or go back on the meth.

ddunbar
October 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Because the cardiologist wanted a cut of my life insurance if I did not lose some weight.

Because I am a Scout Leader and need to be a better example of being "physically fit" that I have been in the past.

Because at 50 I still want to challenge myself. I know there are still some good swims left in this body and look forward to getting in enough shape to swim a 100 fly or 400 IM paced to the Talking Heads "Burning down the House"

ddl
October 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Folks, can you imagine so many great things said about any other sports?

aquageek
October 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Folks, can you imagine so many great things said about any other sports?

Spend time with golfers or fisherman and then ask yourself that. Oh, and try to get a biker to shut up, good luck.

jim thornton
October 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Magnus von Pounderson: I am slowly warming up to your world view.

jjpj
October 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
for:health , freedom, fun , goal setting, feels like a kid again.

jjpj

norascats
October 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Because I can.
I love the feeling of being suspended in the water. I could tread water for hours.
Swimming is one sport I have mastered to a lvel of easy competency. I'm not that fast, but I can still swim competently, and will be able to even as I get old.

Lump
October 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Every reply said very well, but this reason escaped me when I thought about the reasons why I swim. When I read this part by Lump, I just realized one big reason why I enjoy swimming so much. I can say it brings out more good things about me than any other physical activities I do. If I go back to swimmingless, an important part of who I am would be missing. :D

Thanks, and because of what I said I'm seriously considering a career change at 37. I have a decent good in the business world but its just not cutting it anymore and its really not who I am. I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis of sorts, but I'm ready to do something I actually like or love. The search has started.

aqualung
October 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
I've been swimming all of my life, competitively and not competitively. I'm not swimming competitively anymore. The swimming has become cross-training for other things. It's the best cross-training for three other things that I do.
(1) mountaineering. Long-haul 1000-2000 yd sets are wonderful for putting the pedal to the floor and sustaining it, nonstop for a good 12+ minutes. The training that swimming does for the breathing turns into nice, efficient slogging at high altitudes with thin air. It also enables good climbing skirts past avalanche areas where stopping becomes a danger.
(2) backcountry skiing. If you love swimming, you'll love this too. It feels about the same to me. It's a total body workout.
(3) biathlons. The long swimming sets make you really familiar with your heart rates and breathing rates. Controlling and timing your breathing and heart beats are an edge for holding a target rifle and squeezing off shots. Call me a masochist, but I love to get my heart and lungs pounding to an extreme at the instant of trying to do something steady with dexterity. I really enjoy the challenge of combining two extremes. In high school, it used to be water polo and then youth symphony practice.

Oh yah. If I don't jack up my heart rate, I feel sleepy all the time, so much that I have a hard time staying awake.

mjgold
October 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Reading that post was funny because I love to ski. I've been skiing since I was 5 or 6, and you're absolutely right about the feeling. I haven't been in a few years, and jumping in the pool made me feel just as good (if not better).

Also, I think the heart rate thing has to do with being athletic. The average person's heart rate is between 60-100, while athletes have between 50-60 bpm. If I don't work out at least once a day, I get really tired and grouchy.

Allen Stark
October 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Sorry,redundant idea.

Big AL
October 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Cuz I like to eat and I was tired of becoming a fat depressed toad. :afraid:

Donna
October 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I started as rehab for a bad back. When I made the switch to morning workouts I found that some days I would actually have pain free days on occasion. Even after 4 years I till deal with back pain, but it is alot better than it had been.

I also used to be a competitive swimmer as a kid and getting back in just took me back to where I was. I love it.

The weight loss was another great benefit going from 220 to 158 lbs. which I have tended to hover around 165 normally.

Bert
October 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
because I've got too much of energy to do nothing (not in weekends), even after having classes all day long.. I just need to feeeel my body. I need to be active, to be tired after swimming.
It started as a way to built up endurance which is usefull when you ride a dirtbike. But now, after two months, I really enjoy swimming.. maybe i feel better in a pool than on my CRF...

Jazz Hands
October 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I've been thinking about this because in the last couple of months I've lost almost all of my motivation to compete. I still swim because I love the way it feels, and because it's part of my identity that I don't want to lose.

JMiller
October 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Are you jmiller in disguise?

???

JMiller
October 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Jim, you sure are warped, and hilarious!!

Do you only write articles for magazines (Men's Health), or have you published other work?

I swim because it saves on soap and water and deodorant costs.
I swim because the solitary mental life of the writer at home by himself needs balanced with a hard physical reduced thought life of few distractions and sharp focus on endurance, speed, and slip stream.

Michael Bolton
October 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
i swim because i can understand this state of matter. i have been in water consistently before birth, from birth, and after birth. i used to do it to survive, then to play games, then to be strong, now to be fast. i am liquid. when i see a body of water i think how long it would take me to get across it - where i would end up on the other side, study the waves, the currents, the wind, and the goemetry - because i swim. because i swim i am fluid. i can glide through water, understand how dynamic it really is, feel it in my fingers and churn it with the flex of my feet, listen to it and let it clear my thoughts. that is why i swim.

Typhoons Coach
October 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Sharing several hours a week with my 13 year old daughter discussing technique, nutrition, swim team gossip, and a love for a challenge and push, this is why I swim.

Friends to kick my butt, friends to have a Saturday morning breakfast with, relationships that strengthen you, this is why I swim.

These are definitely my favorite two reasons on this forum post!

I swim because I want to be able to do everything that I am coaching my swimmers to do, and to be able to pace my swimmers throughout practice on any given day.

I swim because it relaxes me (as crazy as that sounds), when I am in that pool I am relaxed no matter how hard the workout it...I am relaxed!

mjtyson
October 5th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I read an article years ago that summed up my reason for swimming and I will quote the guy now (I skipped ahead so if someone has already said this, ignore me):

Chlorine is my Prozac.

Besides swimming being a calming thing for me (after my HR has returned to normal), I also swim because my knee is crap. Just as I started to love running, my right knee started acting up. MRI results showed that my miniscus (sp?) is gone or otherwise worthless. I also have some round growths in there. Now when I run, my patella and another bone (forget the name) bang together. I can make it about a mile, mile and a half before it starts acting up (which is perfect as my military run every years is 1.5 miles).

So I swim.

Glider
November 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
In September of 2006, I returned from a wedding in New Orleans (where I think I ate every creole/cajun dish left in the city). Feeling miserable, as I was 165 in college, I stepped on the scale:

- Weight: 216 lbs - and i was still only 5'10"!
- BMI of 31.0 - officially obese

In a subsequent physical blood testing revealed

- Blood pressure: 129/89 - borderline hypertension
- Cholesterol: 260 - very bad high risk

I started swimming again after a very extended layoff to try to get healthy so I might see my kids graduate - they're now 7 and 8!

The last few weeks, I've since had testing done again:

- Weight: 166.6 - last Saturday, 50 lbs lost
- BMI: 24.7 - today, normal
- Body Fat%: 14.1 - 3 weeks ago, 4 skin-fold test
- Blood pressure: 114/65 - today, normal
- Cholesterol: 222 - today, still borderline high-risk, but making progress

Along the way, I decided to swim in a meet just for kicks, and I was hooked. The meets keep me motivated to stay in the pool.

anita
November 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
The last few weeks, I've since had testing done again:

- Weight: 166.6 - last Saturday, 50 lbs lost
- BMI: 24.7 - today, normal
- Body Fat%: 14.1 - 3 weeks ago, 4 skin-fold test
- Blood pressure: 114/65 - today, normal
- Cholesterol: 222 - today, still borderline high-risk, but making progress

Congratulations! :applaud: Keep up the good work!
P.S. LOVE Alpharetta. Beautiful area.

Lightning
November 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
That is really, really cool! Way to go!!

Michelina
November 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
There are tons of reasons... and I could add to this every day as new ones come up but here you go:

- to stay fit
- to have fun
- to be with others that know magical things happen in water
- to find clarity in a world full of chaos
- to keep me out of trouble
- to get me into trouble
- to get to travel the country with friends
- to keep the family together
- to keep my sanity

Willow
November 6th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I swim because it is the only thing I have found in life that can compete with the intoxicating solitary intensity and repetition and technicality of ballet, which I can no longer do thanks to musculoskeletal disease.

I love the feeling of weightlessness coupled with the motivating knowledge that I must at least finish this length or sink!

I love the feeling of being submerged in water. I love the color blue. I love the marvelous contraction and extension that is breaststroke.

mjgold
November 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
There's something zen-like in undulating through the water near the bottom of the pool. Using my whole body like a whip and feeling the crack at the end of each wave as I coast through the water produces a nice calm, almost meditative feeling. I too love the color blue and find joy in floating weightless under the surface. I'm also glad someone shares my love for the flow of breaststroke, wave-like and piston-like at the same time.

Stevepowell
November 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Aside from the sheer joy of playing in the water, which never seems to fade no mater how many decades go by, it is a veritable fountain of youth in many many ways.

famelec
November 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Apparently I swim because:

I like to get out of a warm bed at 5 am in the winter
I like to swim in an outdoor pool all through the winter
I like to devour breakfast in the car while driving to work
I like to start my workday feeling tired
I like to compete against people who always beat me

;)

Brian

Typhoons Coach
November 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Apparently I swim because:

I like to get out of a warm bed at 5 am in the winter
I like to swim in an outdoor pool all through the winter
I like to devour breakfast in the car while driving to work
I like to start my workday feeling tired
I like to compete against people who always beat me

;)

Brian

Haha....excellent reasons!

SuperFlyGal
November 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
What, there's an option?

When I was a kid I wished that I could swim at school so that the other kids would see that I wasn't such an athletic looser. I had dreams of being chased by "bad guys." The harder I tried to run, the closer they got. My legs just wouldn't coordinate themselves. At the last moment, I'd jump into the air and swim away with ease.

The other day someone told me that it was a pleasure to watch me swim. Okay, he was probably hitting on me, but he said that I looked as if I had been born in the water. When I swim, it is a pleasure for me. I feel at home and everything seems right.

Years ago a friend asked me if I had to be an animal, what animal would that be, and without hesitation I said I'd be a Blue Whale.

If I could find a sponsor and quit my job, I would swim all day long!!

inflictfreedom
November 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hmm, lots of reasons.

A great workout
Low impact, good for my knees (Started swimming regularly after I hurt my knee running)
Swimming relaxes me
Helps me focus/turn off my head from the day's stress - reboot.
Helps correct my posture from a days work of slouching at my desk.
It can be as challenging as I want
I'll never stop learning how to be better, fast, and still relaxed
Cold mornings/warm pool
Secret mini races with the people on my left or right
I'll stay fit for the next Aquathlon season
I feel better after a swim, always
I get to watch other people's funny funny pool habits, wonder if people are laughing at me, laughing about laughing at people laughing at me.